I'm actually considering a whites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hope to buy a dry suit soon this year, and I have prety much decided on a Catylst. Now I notice you guys have come out with the 360. What are the main differences between the catylst and the 360?? and how are they the same??

thanks

Jason

That is a very good question!! here are the main differences:
  • The zipper configuration is different,
Our classic Catalyst has the traditional method - goes across the chest down to the waist.
The 360 has a front shoulder to shoulder entry - which is TRULY self entry, I own one of these suits, and I do not need any help getting in or out.
  • Stretch panels are different
The Classic has 3 sets of panels: just above the knees at the front of the suit, at the waist at the back of the suit, under each of the armpits.

The 360 has 2 "sets" of panels: all the way around the leg just above knees (out of harms way), and all the way around the waist (360 degrees). The advantage to this is that the entire suit stretches vertically, which means that stretching from side to side, or over to touch your knees is VERY easy, and the suit has more stretch to fit the diver that is just a bit too tall for the "regular" sizes. The mid section can stretch up to 3.5 inches, and the knees can stretch as much as 4 inches!!

• Color pattern and detailing is slightly different
  • Same boot system
  • Same material
  • Same pocket system
  • You'll also notice that the pattern for the 360 is slightly simpler....what does this mean for you?? The suit is simpler to make, which brings down production costs, which brings down your cost. The 360 is less money.
I should mention at this point that all of the pictures that we took for this suit had the valve placed above the zipper. That was our original plan....we had our models here for some other shoots, so we figured we may as well shoot the 360 as well. After I dove it, I was very adamant that it be switched, so we switched it below the zipper...the decision to take pictures of it sort of put the cart before the horse.....but hey we all make mistakes.
The valve is BELOW the zipper!!! - see photo on our website! Catalyst 360

In my opinion the 360 is the better suit, and my prediction is that the traditional Catalyst will become our second most popular suit.

• It's cheaper
  • more flexible
  • easier to get into and out of
  • still has all the great features that the original had.
So there ya go!

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Happy Diving,
Tyler

That is a very good question Tamas.
When we redesigned the 360 we made the stretch panels a little wider, which in turn gave us more stretch. We feel that the stretch panels under the arms mainly assist in stretching over to do valve shut downs and things like that. With the additional stretch in the waist, we were still able to stretch way over so we didn't think we needed them. I would suggest that as a user and tester of that suit, and I agree with that philosophy. I can reach my valves far easier in this suit than I could the original.

The additional panels also added more cost, to both the diver and us, and we wanted to avoid that.

hope that helps,

Tyler

jaycanwk:
I hope to buy a dry suit soon this year, and I have prety much decided on a Catylst. Now I notice you guys have come out with the 360. What are the main differences between the catylst and the 360?? and how are they the same??

thanks

Jason

Good suit. I love mine!

I just bought a Catayst 360 today.
Once Whites makes it and ships it to me.
(DiveJedi ~ hint hint ~ have them make it quickly please, I can't wait to get it in the water )
I will give a full report on how it dives.

If they do as great of a job on this new suit as they did on my last drysuit ~ I will be one very happy diver. :D

I am waiting on Polar Flex and can't wait to climb in the water. I was looking at the 360 also but liked the full aptive Suspension System on the bottom. I'll give a report once I get it.

ChicagoDVR:
I am waiting on Polar Flex and can't wait to climb in the water. I was looking at the 360 also but liked the full aptive Suspension System on the bottom. I'll give a report once I get it.

You'll love the Polar Flex. I love mine for its warmth and comfort...although I gotta say, I wish Whites wouldn't have cut it so hour-glass shape. I'm willing to trade a baggier shape for the ease of getting in and out of the dry suit. As it is, it's a Houdini move for me to get into my suit; once I'm in though, the suit looks amazing. I almost always get, "Holy, that suit looks great!" Dives great too! I'm sure you'll love it.

Glad to hear that you are enjoyig your suit....despite some of the "getting into it" issues. If you can keep a secret, I can let you know that we are redesigning the Polar flex as we speak.....some minor (maybe some more major) tweaks....Look for it at DEMA for sure if not sooner.

Tyler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom