Sandals Grande Ocho Rios Trip Report (brief)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a five night stay at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios, and I managed to get three dives in. I thought I'd post a quick report in case it helps someone out in the future.

As a quick overview, diving is included when you stay at Sandals. They have a "deep" dive at 9:00am and a shallow dive at 2:00pm. The diving at Ocho Rios was all off of a dive boat, and it was usually a five minute boat ride or so. The water was smooth as glass the whole time I was there. Giant stride off the back and two ladders to get back on. Nice big boats, and there were never more than six guests on the boat, so plenty of room.

The AM dive was the deep dive, 60-70 feet, and the PM dive was the shallow dive, 30-45 feet. There was a night dive available for an additional fee but I passed. All diving was on aluminum 80s, and fills were good (3300PSI). Gear was Scubapro I think, and also in very good shape. I brought a computer, mask, fins, and wetsuit (I think there was an additional charge to rent a wetsuit).

On all dives, everyone just followed the guide around. They won't let you go too far off on your own. On the deep dives, the guide started everyone up at 25 minutes on the dot. Total dive times on the deep dives were around 35 minutes. On the shallow dive I think we did 45 minutes. They checked pressures frequently, and we were told that 1000PSI was low-on-air and to let them know.

Overall, the reefs were nice with some good coral and "small stuff", but there were no fish to speak of. I was told that the reefs were pretty fished out. There were buoys for traps all over the place, and spearfishermen out every morning and evening.

It was nice to get some fun, short dives in. As others have said, not a destination for diving, but fun and quick if you're there for something else.

Brian

Thanks for the report. Curious what you thought of the organization SANDALS itself. I have been curious about them for a while.

That side of Jamaica is often blown out....not that the seas are too rough but rather the viz drops to zero. The better diving is off Negril. But you'll also find the same regiment concerning length of dive and freedom of movement.

That's where I got certified 4 years ago. They had a Beaches Grande Sports Villa resort, and a separate Sandals resort. The Beaches resort had the rooms across the road from the small beach and the scuba training pool. The Sandals resort had their big building, separate beach/pool/facilities. But now they are combined into one bigger Sandals resort.

The diving was so-so. Not many fish, and little coral growth. But it was my first few dives and I thought it was good I got the chance to learn diving.

The Beaches/Sandals resorts are all quite good, really all inclusive. We really enjoyed that stay there, and another stay at Beaches Verado, Cuba. The one at Cuba did not have as good food, little vegetable, but that's the situation in most of Cuba. We must've ate among the best of Cuba.

:D Very good, I'm leaving for Negril next may 20th.
I was OW certified in Grand Caribean Sandals last march. They are careful teachers and they emphasise safety. I got hooked on diving and I cant wait to get wet.
If you want to spend a relaxing holiday, do some diving and enjoy life, Sandals is the place.:D

By the way... this board rocks, I have learned so much here.

Yeah I recently did a dive in Negril.

The viz was easily 80 feet, the water was flat and there was no current.

Other than my first reef squid sighting there was nothing around. I was not impressed at all.

But then again, like most college students I didn't go Jamaica for the diving did I?

I just keep hearing Bob Marley singing Kaya.

brianstclair:
I just got back from a five night stay at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios, and I managed to get three dives in. I thought I'd post a quick report in case it helps someone out in the future.

As a quick overview, diving is included when you stay at Sandals. They have a "deep" dive at 9:00am and a shallow dive at 2:00pm. The diving at Ocho Rios was all off of a dive boat, and it was usually a five minute boat ride or so. The water was smooth as glass the whole time I was there. Giant stride off the back and two ladders to get back on. Nice big boats, and there were never more than six guests on the boat, so plenty of room.

The AM dive was the deep dive, 60-70 feet, and the PM dive was the shallow dive, 30-45 feet. There was a night dive available for an additional fee but I passed. All diving was on aluminum 80s, and fills were good (3300PSI). Gear was Scubapro I think, and also in very good shape. I brought a computer, mask, fins, and wetsuit (I think there was an additional charge to rent a wetsuit).

On all dives, everyone just followed the guide around. They won't let you go too far off on your own. On the deep dives, the guide started everyone up at 25 minutes on the dot. Total dive times on the deep dives were around 35 minutes. On the shallow dive I think we did 45 minutes. They checked pressures frequently, and we were told that 1000PSI was low-on-air and to let them know.

Overall, the reefs were nice with some good coral and "small stuff", but there were no fish to speak of. I was told that the reefs were pretty fished out. There were buoys for traps all over the place, and spearfishermen out every morning and evening.

It was nice to get some fun, short dives in. As others have said, not a destination for diving, but fun and quick if you're there for something else.

Brian

nice report. Curious what staff members did you dive with? I was certified there and wondered if any of the same people were there.

stevenq99:
nice report. Curious what staff members did you dive with? I was certified there and wondered if any of the same people were there.

There was a DM/captain named (or nicknamed) Magnum and a photographer for the resort named Richard. The DM for our "deep" dives was a shorter woman, and I can't remember her name.

Any of those ring a bell?

Brian

del_mo:
and there were rays everywhere (even a spotted eagle ray

While we didn't see much fish life, we did see the biggest southern stingray that I've ever seen. It was actively digging in the sand - the DM said that was where they lay eggs (no idea if that's accurate or not) - and kicking up a huge billowing cloud of sand. We didn't know what was kicking up the sand at first, and then as we got closer this enormous ray shot out of there. Very cool!

Other than that though, like I said, pretty much nothing as far as fish life over six inches or so.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom