Alp Maritimes Marine Institute Intro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garykulisek

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Alp-Maritimes Marine Sports Institute is a scuba diving training and charter operation offering a customized approach. We offer training and dive trips to all levels from basic diver to mixed gas technical including instructor certification at all levels. Our top-level international staff is drawn from all major training agencies hence can offer certification of the client's choice. Never the less, our overriding training and operational philosophy is one of DOING IT RIGHT, DIR. Offices are situated in Quebec, Canada but courses are given internationally. The Institute utilizes liveaboard vessels for training and dive trips; these operate along the St. Lawrence Seaway from the Great Lakes to the Gulf. Wreck and cave diving expeditions are organized to many of the most sought after sites.
Our company is not typical of the dive shops/schools you maybe familiar with; we do only custom training and trips. You must understand that our clients vary a great deal in their needs and resources, we do not try and get clients to fit into our schedule but we design programs to fit with the client. Hence, we do not have course or charter schedules as per say, each client has his or her own program, true we may combine people in a particular situation as it is often advantageous for all but each person retains their own program. Basically we do custom tailored aquatic adventures, training or trips, ranging from entry level to extreme,
The sport of diving is constantly evolving and changing. Just over a decade ago the wisdom of the day said; back floatation B.C.'s would drown you, twin cylinders would bend you, monsters below 130 feet would eat you and any gas except air was a "Voodoo Gas" from Satan. Still there were those who did not buy the "wisdom" they questioned, experimented, explored and pushed the envelope. Today there is virtually no area of sport diving that has not had a positive and ongoing effect from technical diving. Our involvement in this area of the sport has caused us to choose as our Alpha agency, NAUI.
NAUI is one of the oldest and largest training organizations. To answer this new and exciting market, Technical Training Operations was developed as a separate yet integral part of our training department. All materials and protocols are the product of a "think tank" collective of the best minds in technical diving science. NAUI Tech. Ops. is in constant contact with the cutting edge of diving be it scientific, commercial or military. Our courses and trips are always evolving to reflect the latest in developments as they become available or declassified, from the latest in decompression theory and modeling (R.G.B.M.) to the best tested equipment configurations (W.K.P.P.). We embrace a total Doing It Right philosophy. Our courses will train you in real life scenarios, in which we will coach you to think rather try and memorize some hypothetical situation. Our goal is not to train divers to be certified but to be fully qualified to actually make the types of dives they want to.
Now you can source all course needs from novice to mixed gas from one outstanding agency. No matter if you are a novice, instructor or seasoned tech diver, you are no longer obliged to search the market of training agencies, NAUI now offers you "one stop" shopping. Our agency can deliver all the basics and prerequisites for your chosen course, be it a mission specific "apex course" or a personal development adventure.
We think you will agree that diving and especially technical diving is about individuals and individual situations; we are prepared to work with your situation, whether for training or simply dive trips. It is important to recognize past certifications, training and experience. On our website you will find a general description of our courses. Please be aware that these are conditions, which apply to the lowest common denominator of individuals and prerequisites. It is not our goal to make anyone "jump through hoops" just for the sake of the exercise. I would submit following a careful study of your particular case, taking into consideration your present certification and abilities, we could arrive at a mutually "acceptable" custom program for you and/or your associates.
Our dive training and trips are primarily in two areas. In the Gulf of St. Lawrence, centered on the world class wreck of the Empress of Ireland and in the eastern Great Lakes and Seaway where we operate our main liveaboard vessels. We have chosen to offer trips and training here because of the truly unbelievable diving. I do not exaggerate when I say that it is the best north of Dixie. In summer we have surface temperatures of 76 to 80 and 68 to 70 even at 100 feet. From a depth of 100 feet you can count the prop blades on the boat so great is the visibility. History has added thousands of wrecks and nature has offered great natural aspects hence we have an ideal location be it for training or excursions. We use countless sites that can give us any depth that we may need and all of these in a small geographical area. Since we operate from a liveaboard there are no hassles as to logistics and we do not waste training or diving time just getting to a site, everything happens on our floating hotel. While the vessel is underway the guests can be part take in theory, preparation or just relax. In summer we can get away with any kind of suit, on short shallow dives we often use a 3mm.never the less we have suits of every thickness (plus dry suits) on board at all times so we can make any one comfortable regardless of their personal resistance to cold.
Our vessels are virtually self sufficient and carry any breathing gas (bottom and deco) that is needed. We are strong proponents of using the "best mix" for both the dive and the deco. We are equipped on board to blend what ever is the least insulting to our bodies. Our inventory of tanks (twins, singles and deco) will support the needs of whatever dive we are doing. Our stock of spares and rentals reflects the current best configurations for modern diving. Remember we are always trying to Do It Right.
Should you have any needs in the sport of scuba diving please give me a call. Our adventures are all inclusive, all you need is a fun attitude, a smile and some topside duds, and we will supply everything else. Living on a boat offers many advantages; if you want to do a course there is no down time and it can all be accomplished in a much shorter time span than on land, if you are on a dive trip there are far fewer hassles.
We operate in the Thousand Islands from late May till end of October and being in early spring, now is the time to get things planned for next season. For the time being there is space at virtually any time but we will start to fill up certain weeks pretty soon, in order to use your free time best you should give it some thought and get with us so we can plan your custom dive trip or training.
In closing, thanks for your interest and I am sure we will have a chance to dive together.
Best regards,
Capt. Gary Kulisek & Rosa LeBreton-Kulisek

ALP-MARITIMES MARINE INSTITUTE

International Diving Institute
Recreational Courses: Basic to Master Diver
Professional Development: Dive Master to Instructor Trainer
Technical Training: Nitrox to Mixed Gas (diver and instructor)
Expeditions: Wrecks, Caves, Mines and Extreme Diving
"All Inclusive Packages"
Equipment; Sales, Rental, and Service
Agents for: OxyCheq Tech. Equipment & GAP Deco Software
Air Station offering: Air, Oxygen, and Mixed Gas Fills
NAUI-PADI-CMAS-ACUC-FQAS-CSAC-DAN-NSSCDS
"Universal Referral Program" SSI-PDIC-NASDS-YMCA-IDEA

Email: info@technicaldivingops.com
Internet: www.technicaldivingops.com

NEWSLETTER V07N02 07-04-30
Dear Friends,
It certainly seems like summer will never come. April 16th saw us hit with yet more snow but it melted quickly and we are forging ahead getting our boats and gear all in place. It is always exciting to put everything in ship shape to ensure a first class adventure for our clients.
Rosa really appreciates all the emails of encouragement she has received. The road to recovery is not as fast as we like but each day she’s climbing the hill. Being a Fierce Warrior all the hard rehab is not stopping her in having a good time as we get into gear.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: Avast me swashbucklers!!!! Ah yes, every good pirate knows the third installment of Pirates of the Caribbean “At World’s End” comes out May 25th. This will put us all in the right mood for; plunder, pillage grog and diving. Coming soon to a region near you is another buccaneer event. Alexandria Bay New York’s, Pirate Week, August 10-19.
This is the real thing! Mardi Gras, Carnival, Woodstock, Disney World; all wrapped into one!
A great time to charter with us for some great diving during the day and some serious partying at night.
You can step back into the 1600’s or just back to the 1960’s (if you get my drift). Come and dive with us on our day charters (we’ll handle a shore based hotel/meal package for you) get in excellent dives during the sunshine hours and be able to get in some gnarly partying after dark. This is a chance to combine our two favorite things: diving and raising hell. BTW, bail bonds arranged at an additional fee. ARE ME HEARTIES!!!

GAP RGBM DECO SOFTWARE: Currently we are booking a record number of upper end, read deeper deco, courses. Each of these courses includes a lot of time spent on deco theory. On the practical side we teach the use of GAP Deco Software. At the end of each course almost every client picks up a copy of GAP.
Still it is not only our own direct clients that are buying into this superior dive planning tool. In the last few months we have been electronically delivering tons of keys for GAP, Gas Absorption Program, with RGBM, Reduced Gradient Bubble Model algorithm.
I am sure more and more of you are appreciating that dissolved gas (Haldanian) deco theory although well known have now been superseded by much more modern thoughts. If you need to brush up on the reasons why you want to follow this theory please go to www.technicaldivingops.com and clique on Technical Articles. These will point out the benefits to all divers. Once you are comfortable go to the front page of the Alp site, scroll down and clique on the GAP button. You can down load a trial version good for several days. At this point you will have been convinced that this is the ticket; super easy and stable platform with the most advanced deco theory.
Should you need any assistance or info please contact Rosa at: rosa@gap-software.com or rosa@technicaldivingops.com

OXYCHEQ TECHNICAL DIVE GEAR: As you may know our associate Patrick Duffy is just a designing wizard. Just about every month some new product is coming to light. Almost every one knows Patrick as the best source for analyzers but it is his wings that have made him famous. He started out with a 50 lbs double and a 70 lbs double. The reception was just outstanding and now he offers a full and complete line.
We continue to get back incredible reports as to their performance that only confirm our own results. For me the mark of a great wing is how well it “swims” (let’s face it even junk will float you on the surface). Our workhorse tanks are twin 95’s and the 50 lbs is a dream; streamline, well distributed and flawless filling and dumping. This week I got a report of two good divers whose trim had always been too much “head up”, no matter what they did. While on a course they both got the chance to try OxyCheq wings and things got real level real quick. Now we all know that it will always be the “gunner and not the gun” but why fight with your gear.
Check these and all the other great innovative products; go to www.technicaldivingops.com scroll down the front page and clique on OxyCheq.

S.E.R.E.S. CONTIUES TO GROW: A few years ago we were most pleased to be able to announce your involvement in the formation of SERES. Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration, Research and Education Society. Since so much of our activities centre on wrecks and other manmade underwater situations we felt that it was key to our endeavors to be aligned with a truly international organization with which we shared a common philosophy. It is the mission of The Society, a not for profit organization, to maximize the value, understanding and accessibility to all types of submerged cultural resources. This will be accomplished through; state of the art training/education of underwater researchers, exploration expeditions employing the most modern techniques/equipment and monitoring of all research and findings. The Society will not be bound by geopolitical boundaries and welcome any and all qualified participants in its worldwide underwater research benefiting the global community. Anyone joining our expeditions will automatically and at our cost become a member.
S.E.R.E.S. continues to grow as an international factor in underwater resource management.

NEW TRAVEL TV SHOW: Our good friends, Denny & Eleanore Willis have worked to produce a travel TV program for a long time. As veteran professional scuba instructors and travel agents, the two teamed up with fellow diver, Bud Hogan, to combine their two loves and produce DIVE TRAVEL TV. Their son Shawn, a recent graduate of Full Sail College's Film Dept. has contributed to directing and production of the program. Shawn is currently living in N.Y. City working on NBC's Law & Order CI.
Dive Travel TV is a new travel TV program hosted by local professionals with over 30 years of experience in the fields of both travel and scuba diving. During each episode the program hosts will travel, with the viewer by their side. The program will not only show the viewers the wonders within our oceans but local cuisine, accommodations, adventure activities and “must see or do” while at that location. This will of course appeal to non-divers as well. The viewers will be taken on a unique journey immersed in an incredible experience through strong narrative storytelling, stunning video, and interesting, memorable characters. The feel of the program will be one of activity and adventure in a style that combines professional filming with a personal home video touch giving it that reality show appeal so popular with today’s viewers. For more info check out: http://www.divetraveltv.com

SEE NEXT REPLY TO THIS THREAD FOR PART 2

NEWSLETTER V07N03 07-04-30 Part 2

DAN IN NEW ALLIANCE WITH NAUI: In November 2006, DAN announced a historic alliance that marked the beginning of dive industry organizations working together for the greater good. Now, DAN announces a second alliance that brings an even greater depth to the initiative of diver safety. As of March 2007, DAN became the official insurance provider for NAUI Worldwide.
NAUI has discontinued its Dive & Travel Insurance Program and is endorsing the Membership and Dive Accident Insurance programs offered by DAN. “We’ve always supported DAN’s mission,” says Jim Bram, President of NAUI, “and the quality of their insurance program is well known. We value what DAN provides to the dive community, and we hope that our joining in this alliance will contribute to DAN’s continuing success for many years to come, while allowing NAUI to focus on maintaining the strength and quality of its diver education programs.”
Divers currently carrying NAUI’s Dive & Travel Insurance will be notified of the change as their policies come due for renewal, and they will be offered the opportunity to join DAN. In addition, NAUI dive centers and instructors will be provided materials on DAN and its programs, including the DAN Student Membership Program.
“DAN has always been dedicated solely to divers and diver safety,” says Dan Orr, President and CEO of Divers Alert Network, “and our record certainly speaks for itself. Yet no matter how much we’ve been able to contribute in the past, we are always looking for ways to provide more. When we first developed the idea of working directly with the training agencies, it was with the intent to increase the network of resources for divers, as well as the commitment of the dive industry to safety practices. We are delighted NAUI has made this public commitment with us, and we are proud to call them our ally in this continuing directive."

A FEW EMPRESS SPOTS LEFT THIS SUMMER: As some of you know diving the Empress of Ireland is an Apex experience. FYI, this year bookings to all operators have been coming in very early and open spots are getting very scarce. The reality is we do have some spots left in July. Kevin McMurray, author of Dark Descent, will be on hand and will be leading a collection of the usual celebrity wreck diving suspects back to the Empress.
For a good idea of diving the Empress, go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress, at the end is FAQ's. If you are on Decostop www.thedecostop.com go to Canadian Wrecks and read my posts, they will give more answers.
Let me first say that I very much want to facilitate your dives on the Empress. I know that each of you would trip out on the scene.
This is an all-inclusive deal; 6 nites lodging/meal (booze incl.), 5 days of boat fees, all diving and deco gas, all permits, and attractions (museums, Maritime College ect.) EVERYTHING.
Although the Empress is the big deal, there is also the destroyer Nipigon and the vessel Lina Gagne, discovered recently.
Like I’ve always said this is an apex dive so get with me as soon as you can to get those last slots.

Well all this talk of diving sure has put me in the mood as I hope it has you. Remember that we are at your service 24/7 to book your trips and courses. Like Rosa says “Life is short we never know what tomorrow will be, so enjoy each day to your fullest. Tomorrow may be too late to fulfill some of your dreams so do it NOW!” As Rosa gets her new super body into shape she reminds me NOW is the time to get her all new bikinis.

Take care everyone, God Bless

"All Inclusive Packages"
NAUI-PADI-TDI-CMAS-ACUC-FQAS-CSAC-DAN-NSSCDS

Dear Friends,

We certainly have been taking advantage of the great summer weather we have been getting here in these beautiful Thousand Islands. Each day we get to go out for some super great dives and usually end these magnificent days with a delicious BBQ diner on our deck in a secluded little bay. Hey I am just a simple man with straightforward needs but must admit when I dive that I sometimes feel I have gone to Valhalla. Nothing in the world can replace that rush we get when we are diving, like floating in orbit; in peace, in tranquility. Here life seems to have no issues, no worries, and no hassles. No wonder diving is my passion, it is living day to day, long term thought is overrated B.S.

SALMON LOAF a la TRACADIE: For those of you that have written to Rosa and asked her for some of her Acadians recipes you have enjoyed on our yacht here is one she is wiling to share with everyone.
In a large bowl combine:
1 lb. broil/pouched or canned salmon
1 cup crumble crackers
1 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 diced onion
Salt & pepper
Blend all together and spread into a buttered meatloaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes and baby green peas. (Option: You may want to make a white béchamel egg sauce to put on top of salmon loaf, very delicious) Bon appetite.

THE PIRATES ARE LANDING: Along with great diving the Thousand Islands offers a great deal more. Quaint towns and beautiful scenery to go along with the super diving. One event stands out "Alexandria Bay Pirate's Week" August 10th to 19th. This is a great time to come and dive but also to party in an incredible atmosphere. Believe me, I have seen Pirate's Week in Grand Cayman and it is tame and boring compared to A Bay's version. If you think you were born 300 years too late come on along and live your fantasy. Actually, if you think you were born 30 years too late come any ways cause I'm not sure if it is more like the 1660's or the 1960's. Couple of years ago I think I saw Hendricks, Joplin and Blackbeard all on the same night.

COLL REGS BALLS & FLAGS: As I am writing another good ole boy drops by to tell me he’s just put his boat in the water and is ready to dive. I’d like to make a point about identifying a vessel engaged in diving.
Let us start with the “diver down flag”. While this maybe recognized by many and where it maybe required by state and local laws it is not enough. The real big guns are the United States Coast Guard; they will want you to respect the “Collision Regulations”. This will mean that you must also fly the “Alpha” flag.
So if you fly both then all is good? Not really! The “Alpha Flag” denotes a vessel with limited ability to maneuver, not necessarily due to divers in the water.
To be completely in accordance with the regulations you need to fly a vertical combination of “black ball/black diamond/black ball”. If your vessel is over 20 meters you must also identify the “diving side” and the “passing side”, with balls and diamonds. Normally, the balls should be .6 meters across and the diamonds 1.2 by .6 meters. Now it does state that the size may be reduced for smaller vessels but does not give other dimensions. BTW, an Alpha flag should be a meter square.
I do not want to complicate your life but if you wish to obey the letter of the law this is the way to go. We do it and it is no big deal. Remember, if you are boarded and inspected this could be a citation.

REBREATHERS-FUTURE OR FAD: Last weekend a student posed the question; What does the future hold for diving, will rebreathers totally replace open circuit?
Since then I‘ve given this query a good deal of thought. For the record I do not reside solely in either camp. I use the “right tool for the mission”, some times it is OC others is CCR.
First off, rebreathers are not something new they have been around for along time and in fact predate scuba, as we know it.
I do not think that we will see the day when there is only one-way to dive scuba, I see that both options will co-exist, despite the fact that the split will vary. Look at other technologies. When the first automatic transmission came out many said that it was the end of the manual transmission others said it was a fad, both were wrong. Over the years we have seen the ratios change to favor one then the other. This evolution continues today, depending on the mission, depending on personal bias, depending on 1001 factors some will drive an automatic and some a standard.
When the first automatic pistol was developed many saw it as the end of the revolver. The next 20 years saw a see/saw of preference but both technologies remain and almost a century later both systems still co exist.
True some new technology obliterates the old technology; some new technology passes as a fad. Still. it seems to me that the OC/CCR dichotomy will continue for a good long while.
So choose the tool you/the mission favor then most important dive as much as you can.

BAD USED GEAR: We realize that dive gear, especially tech diving equipment, is fairly costly and yes most people try and save money. This brings us to a bit of a warning to potential gear buyers. Just be careful not to “buy cheap only to buy twice”. You should only purchase a particular brand from an outfit that is authorized to sell it and trained to service it. If you buy previously owed equipment please have it checked out before or serviced after purchase, by a factory trained technician (don’t be shy to ask to see a technician’s certificate). Despite the fact that all dive centers have a moral obligation to care for their clients there are some that are more interested in dollars than safety.
Here is an example: a couple of years ago a major equipment company received a shipment of Buoyancy Compensating Wings from a sub contractor. Upon inspection these were rejected as “junk” and returned to the builder. Now you would expect that if the Dive Company who designed these wings and is the expert rejected the product that the “Cut-Sew-Trim House” would have used these as landfill. Wrongo, they sold these on the “grey market” to some dive shops that in turn sold these to consumers. Their line was, “just as good as, at half the price”; now these wings are failing at depth!
Remember that if a deal is too good to believe it usually is! Listen folks, these are not hairbrushes you are buying, this is life (yours) support gear, stick with the authorized and trained operators.

OUR FRIEND HELIUM: As you may be aware we at Alp Maritimes Sports have virtually gone over completely to helium based diving for our own dives. Originally we eliminated “deep air” but now we are using helium mixtures even at the intermediate depths, anything over 100 feet. What is clear is that helium gives us the sharpness of mind that allows for more profitable dives.
Given that full on Trimix diving requires a commitment that not everyone is ready to make nor whose benefits in relation to increased depth franchise are personally tangible, we have realized there should be some intermediate steps. Every diver can benefit from a dose of helium. Hence, we offer two additional helium centered courses: Helitrox and Heliar. These structured courses will allow all divers venturing below 100 feet the benefits of helium. If you are still using only air, now is the time to move into the 21st century with these courses that fill the training “gap” between advanced courses and Trimix. Your increased ability to think and recall will make every dive more worthwhile.

INTRO TO TECH: In the past we felt there existed a training void at the entry level of tech diving. Classically divers would take a number of “advanced recreational specialties” and buy some “tech gear” and sort of feel their way along. Problems arose when they got to some upper level tech courses, Deep Wreck Penetration or Trimix and they were missing some very basic info and skills. Too often we had to regress or divers had to “unlearn” misconceptions and habits.
Our approach back then, for those starting out in tech diving was to offer a very “heavy” Nitrox course. We would offer an intense Nitrox course; pack in a ton of info, in an effort to get people in the right direction. This approach did work fairly well but there were time constraints imposed by a Nitrox Course.
Luckily we now can offer Intro to Technical Diving Course. This is a skill-oriented course with lots of diving skills and gear refinements. The goal is to get divers out of the “Jacket B.C./short hose” mentality and get them started on the right foot to adventure diving. Naturally we will still offer combo courses, for example by combining this new course with a classic Nitrox we will have the time to establish a very firm base of skills and knowledge.
Our sport has developed and the envelope is being pushed. The days are gone when you could learn by watching other divers on the boat. We are very pleased to be able to offer a full, formalized and continuous training plan all the way from beginner to deep Trimix. By the mechanism of our liveaboard training venue we can still impart a huge amount of knowledge in a comparatively shorter time than the “classroom/day boat” approach.
Check out all the courses at www.technicaldivingops.com clique on COURSES.

We hope that you will participate in one of our summer courses or just simply come enjoy some great diving along with some outstanding scenery you will enjoy while we are heading for the dive sites. Either way we hope to be hearing from you and get to have the pleasure of offering you our services. ENJOY LE LIFE!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Dear Friends,

It certainly is unbelievable how much time just flies by fast when you are having fun. Although it wasn’t the greatest summer weather wise, we certainly did manage to have some really cool dives and meet lots of interesting people. Fall is our favorite season here in the Thousand Islands for you still get some decent temperature and the changing of the colors of the leaves turns the area into canvas portrait. The water still is quite warm and the visibility gets better and better with time. If you haven’t been down here diving yet or need a quickie break and were thinking of doing so; September up to mid October are still good months for diving our wrecks or upgrading your certs.

VESSEL RENOVATIONS: As those of you who know us our vessels are really our pride and joy not to mention our home. Our main Yacht, SeaClusion, underwent the usual preseason mechanical and seaworthiness improvements and maintenance.
Never the less this classic game fisher has seen lot of diving expeditions and has had lots of divers living on board over the years. She had just got a bit on the ruff side.
I must say that when Rosa first suggested a make over I cringed. All I could see was all the work it meant for me to do between expeditions when I was supposed to be chilling. In case you are not aware I am not the most efficient handy man around the house/boat and simply just do not enjoy anything that has to do with this type of work. Further “home renovations” on a boat take like three times as long and are five times harder.
Many hours have come and gone since day one and once things started to roll I must admit that her skills in decorating are outstanding. Wanting to work on a limited budget she used paint, wallpaper and other supplies left over from her many condos she had redone hence some very fancy stuff
She transformed old discolored walls into masterpieces. All the window treatments have been replaced. Every piece of wood on the boat including the back deck was stripped, sanded and either re-varnished or oiled. We are presently working on removing decades old tiles and carpet and replacing them with new ones. Now we are almost finished with our renovations and I must say that Seaclusion is much prettier with her new cosmetic surgery and it makes it more enjoyable for us to live here and welcome our guest divers. Now if I can only convince Rosa to give me more closet space I would be a happier man.

HOMEMADE GEAR: Every so often we see divers show up with gear they built themselves. There are times that this equipment works quite well but other times it really is not up to snuff. I do realize that equipment does at times appear a bit costly for the item. Remember part of what you are paying for is R&D and the testing. A company that has made thousands of an item would clearly have the advantage over a “garage mechanic”.
To be honest I have tried my hand over the years at building a better mouse trap, in the end all the best gear I’ve ever had came from a front line manufacturer.
I know that some of you will fault me for this statement as I am a member of the dive industry, while this may be true, gear sales to end users account for very little of our business. Our main goal is to provide training and diving. Since, most of our actions are all-inclusive, we often supply all/most of our clients’ gear, and hence we are also an “end user” and have found that manufacturer gear is always best.
On the scary side, my work as a coroner’s investigator has all too often meant that I’ve had to study a diving death where homemade gear was a contributing factor. Several times the gear in question was being “tested” by the builder at the time of the accident.
Now I am not against persons developing new ideas but all too often the motivation is nothing more than cost. This to me is not a good reason to stray from designed and validated gear.
I remember a few years ago a diver on one of our courses came to me with a piece of “homemade gear”; it was beautiful, best I’d ever seen. I imagined it cost a fortune to make but offered to buy it at his named price. What was weird is that the guy was only proud of the fact he built it cheaper than a manufactured version.
In the end, this betrayed a mindset and a pattern for this diver, who was not successful on that course.
Diving is not a cheap sport, diving does involve mortal risk. Do you really want to take the chance based on a “cost driven” item? To paraphrase Hollywood, “what is the life of a diver (yours) worth to you?”

EMPRESS EXPEDITIONS 2008: We are presently starting to take booking for next summer’s trips. All those interested please let us know ASAP in order for us to organize and reserve your spot.
For a good idea of diving the Empress, go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress, at the end is FAQ's. If you are on Decostop www.thedecostop.com go to Canadian Wrecks and read my two posts, they will give more answers.
Let me first say that I very much want to facilitate your dives on the Empress. I know that each of you would trip out on the scene.
This is an all-inclusive deal; 6 nites lodging/meal (booze incl.), 5 days of boat fees, all diving and deco gas, all permits, and attractions (museums, Maritime College ect.) EVERYTHING.
Although the Empress is the big deal, there is also the destroyer Nipigon and the vessel Lina Gagne.

THAT BAD TOOTH: As we get older a lot of things start to sort of cause us more physical problems. Teeth sure are one and I must admit I have not done great with mine. I am always on the move and have sort of taken care of my teeth when I had pain. There has always been a good deal of “projects in progress” in my mouth. Only this summer have I embarked on a serious rebuilding program.
I did learn something useful through this project. For my whole life my ears have sort of been made of steel; they clear always and easily and I never had any infections.
In the last year I had a lot of issues at the same time as my teeth problems.
I had an abscess form on an old root canal a few times in the last year and each time was prescribed antibiotics. It would clear, I’d be free of pain but my ears were a bit off. Finally I got to the oral surgeon and I was told that the tooth, after multiple rebuilds, had to go. He made an interesting observation post extraction, the infection had been chronic abscess (does not go away completely) thus causing of my sore ear even when there was no tooth pain.
His view for a diver was that if back tooth abscessed more than twice then it could be chronic and hence cause ear issues, best to take extreme and final action. Do not get me wrong I am all for saving teeth but in the end we sometimes have to face reality.
BTW when you get an ear infection, putting an electric pad or hot bottle water on it does sooth the pain till the antibiotics take effect and you see a dentist/oral surgeon.

WAR AND PEACE: We often speak about how we think about diving or simply think about diving. Dive planning is something we do before every dive, or not? Every time a pilot takes off into an alien environment he writes out a “flight plan”. Do you write out a dive plan every time you venture into an “alien environment”? You should!
Two thousand years ago in Egypt it was a dictum, “so it shall be written so it shall be done”. I feel that a verbal dive plan is just that, noise in the wind. By writing it down, even if they are just notes on a slate or scratches on a drink coaster, it causes you to think, it is clear, it is a record and it is serious.
I am running a course this weekend and the whole issue is how to make a dive plan. Not the plan but to develop the skills to do the framework.
If there is one set of guidelines I can give you here is, Plan for Peace and Prepare for War. We should always plan that things go ever so smoothly but we must be ready when the worst case scenario happens, as it will one day. Most dives are no more than a paddle about, but even these can go south and have some pretty scary results. Planning makes the difference between an event and a disaster.
Last thought on this subject. We all know that anyone can call (cancel) a dive, for any reason, at anytime, no questions asked. But how do you decide when to call it? My old buddy Mike Fowler told me of his RULE OF THREE. You make a detailed plan and the minute three (even minor) elements do not match the plan you scrub and retire to a nice cold drink and dive another day.
FYI, our Motto (see www.technicaldivingops.com on the front page) tells why we chose, Fortitudine Vincimus. Shackleton planned for the best but prepped for the worst.

DEMA SHOW ORLANDO: This year’s DEMA Show will once again be in Orlando. The dates are October 31st to November 3rd. Both Rosa and I will be there and hope to see as many of you at the show as possible. There is just so much to learn it is a “must” for the serious dive professional. It should be lots of fun especially that the opening is on Halloween (Rosa and I already have our fantasy special outfits for the occasion).

WINTER DIVING BASE OF OPS: This year we will be offering a winter diving trip and training in the beautiful warm tropical islands. We have not yet determined the exact location however rest assure we are looking into a locality where the waters are crystal clear and the diving be both challenging and fun. We will keep you posted once we have decided on our destination.

Well good on you mates, time to run. Got to mix up some gas for the upcoming course. Please remember that NOW is the time to book your Fall trips and courses for some of the best diving there is.

Regards,
Phone (315) 777-7770

Dear Friends,

We are ecstatic that so many of our faithful clients took the opportunity to come down to the Thousand Islands lately. Some came to enjoy some real good wreck excursions others to bring up their certifications to the next level. To put the cherry on the cake we were fortunate enough recently to be getting super weather for this time of year. No rain, warm sunny days plus in addition the visibility just jumped from great to spectacular.
Last week we had a group doing a Dive Master course and I am pleased to say that everyone passed with flying colors. This up coming weekend we have a mixed gas course on the slate featuring some of the deeper dives here, still room for a few divers on the boat.
There are still several weeks left of enjoyment, so if you haven’t already done so why don’t you contact us to arrange for your diving pleasures.

EMPRESS OF IRELAND EXPEDITIONS 2008: It is our pleasure to announce the first firm dates of our renowned, first class, Empress of Ireland expeditions for next summer, July 28 to August 1. Of course, we will be adding dates as the demand arises.
THIS IS ALL-INCLUSIVE: six nites condo lodging (double occupancy), three meals (booze in) a day, five days boat fees, all diving/deco gas, all permits, land attractions, full topside and underwater guide/hostess services.
We take care of everything all you have to do is make great dives!
We dive Mon-Fri, two dives per day weather permitting. Arrive on Sunday for dinner the night before diving operations commence, depart on Saturday after last day of diving. Make your own travel arrangements to get here.
The availability of charters/boats appears to be looking limited for next summer. So it is now the time to book and reserve your spot.
Should you need info on our expeditions go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress at the end is FAQ's. Listen to what “les boyz” have to say at our website Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc clique on Bulletin Board and then Expedition Reports.
If you are on Decostop The Deco Stop go to Canadian Wrecks and read my two posts, they will give more FAQ.
The Empress is a pinnacle dive. Many from previous year’s trips are returning, all of them calling it the best diving expedition they’ve ever done. That’s no exaggeration!

BEWARE OF UNESCO: The United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, UNESCO, sounds like a real nice group and of course anything the United Nations does is for the good of all. If you are a diver, nothing could be further from the truth! This organization is in the process of effectively banning wreck diving and private (this means you) wreck exploration. Do not be blind to the threat to your diving freedom, first it is wrecks, then reefs and who knows where it will end, as we do not know their private agenda. A few “good ole boys” are fighting hard for all our rights. Visit the briefcase, Yahoo! Briefcase - List View, and check the file “UNESCO”. Stay informed, encourage those fighting for your rights and contact your Member of Congress or Parliament. Take the rebel stand!!!!!

SOLO DEEP AIR: Even in the year 2008 we still receive a number of requests for “solo diving” and/or “deep air” training. Let me restate for the record that Alp Maritimes Sports WILL NOT engage in these foolish enterprises.
We are aware that “solo” and “deep air” courses are being marketed and offered by some individuals in dive world, maybe they can do so and still look at themselves in the mirror, we could not. Yes, we can train you to any depth you want to go to, even the bottom, and we can train you to be totally self sufficient in the water at that depth but we will not “train” you to take ridiculous risks.
Over the years I’ve seen many the good man die diving solo deep on air, world class divers with thousands of extreme dives logged. Maybe, just maybe, if they’d had a buddy I’d still be able to go diving with them and have a few laughs.
Listen folks, there may have been a time and place for “deep air” and dives we made were justified, that was another time and place, if you go deep use the right gas and take along a bud; no empty seats at diner!

WANNA KNOW HOW THE BENDS FEEL: Last weekend I heard a few comments made by some divers on the docks not taking DCS too seriously. This brought to mind an article that in particular captivated me, “Ya Wanna Know What It’s Like To Be Really Bent” by John Burge Jr.
This is at the same time a horrific tale of the effects of severe DCS and a heroic tale of one man’s ascent from the depths of disability. I encourage you all to read this article as it carries many messages that can help so many. Too many divers carry dangerous ideas and draw flawed conclusions from limited experience. John’s story will allow many to live, all be it vicariously, the single most common fear of divers.
For those out there who have the ill-founded macho idea that “getting bent is no big deal” this article will clearly show just how big a deal it can be. Too many divers fear the recompression chambers; you’ll find out that the “hotbox” really is your buddy. Once again getting bent does not mean that you made a stroke dive and were at fault. Maybe most important is the fact that with great will and effort you can overcome the greatest hurdles, “Fortinitude Vincimus”, if you don’t know what this means get the answer on our web page, Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc.
Great written works mean different things to each reader so I will not try and tell you all what you will learn from the article, but I know you will all learn. Thanks to John for his kind permission to post his story. Go to Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc click on Technical Articles, click then on Ya Wanna Be Bent.

TECH IMAGE MISCONCEPTION: I would like to address a possible misconception on the part of many of our readers. Despite the fact that we are often writing on more technical issues and may appear to be somewhat “technical centered” we do in fact host a great many recreational divers on our trips.
Given our goal of custom tailored trips it is you the client that dictates the kind of dives that you want to make. Look at us as your facilitator in getting the best diving you possibly can. Our involvement in tech diving certainly affords us the best in information and operating procedures but this can only serve to enhance every dive trip we run.
Let it be known that we are more than pleased to welcome aboard even the newest diver and help them get the best experience out of the sport. Given the fact that every member of our staff is a senior instructor the advice you get is always appropriate.

ROSA REFLECTS ON TIMES TO BE GRATEFUL: First off I would like to thank everyone who wrote to me with kind thoughts during the months asking how I was doing and encouraging me towards a full health.
Although I am not totally fully recovered yet the road towards the highway called freedom seems just ahead. I do not know if it is my condition that made us notice more or if it just that everything seemed to be happening this year, but I am terribly aware that a lot of people in our surroundings are either seriously sick, gravely injured or brushing with death. I am sure that each and every one of you knows someone or is involved personally with this kind of situation or perhaps you are going through it yourself. My heart goes out to all of those people whose life has stopped and been put on hold waiting for the road of recovery. Please stay in touch with those who can not dive; ABSENT BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
We all take life for granted and never think twice about what we have until we no longer have it. This being said if there is a lesson in everything that happens to us. I can say that my lesson is to cherish today as if there is no tomorrow. Forget about yesterday for it is gone; forget about tomorrow for it may never come. What is important is NOW & TODAY and the people that surround us. All too often we do not take the time to tell a loved one how special they are and how much we love them and appreciate them nor appreciate our good times. Funny if we knew that this would be our last day alive we certainly would be telling everyone, wouldn’t we. I am no preacher nor do I want to tell anyone what to do, but maybe you can reflect on what I just said.
I want everyone to know in my bad luck I was also one of the luckiest; there is some silver lining to these dark clouds. Being so sick and almost dieing made me see/realize what a wonderful husband I had. Captain F-OFF stood by my side 24/7 throughout this whole ordeal and I can say that without his love, decisions and support I probably wouldn’t have made it, for many times I had given up. For all of you who know him personally you are probably saying she can’t be talking about the same guy we know. Well my answer is; he is really no dummy and he knows that with my illness/recovery came a new package called “super curves”. I lost some of weigh, my boobs look even bigger now and since I was already pretty Captain F-OFF had something to gain, not that I don’t feel good about the look myself. No but seriously, I might have been the one enduring the pain but he was the one enduring everything else that came with it, and for this I am grateful. Thanks Captain, Love you always, Bou Bou.

Well, tanks are filled and gas is analyzed for tomorrow’s dives. Nothing left but to attend to cocktail hour and one of Rosa’s culinary masterpieces.
Please remember that the best diving in the Thousand Islands/Seaway/ Lake Ontario is right now but it will not last. We have plenty of good availability so get with us soon so we can have the pleasure of serving your charter and training needs.
Regards,
Alp Maritimes Marine Sports Institute
Phone (315) 777-7770
URL: Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc

Since I start diving in Canda a few years ago, I found that Canada was the best resource for courses.

Divers are better trimmed and have more knowledge.

I dived with a buncy of divers all over the country, mostly from Toronto, many don't know diving the way we do in Mexico in the caves, but there is one or two divers and teachers who make the diving better in that region.

I never dived in the ocean in Canada, it's too cold, but i dived in Brockville, Otawa and other places like South Ontario and they got some great diving and some greater diving teachers.

I heard good things about you Gary Kulisek even though I cutt and pasted your name because it's harder to spell., but the DIR approach is stronger in Ontario than anywhere else in my travels and think that Gary who teaces the Naui courses is someone you can learn from.

In diving, I also end up diving with Lake Erie diving Matt Manziuk on his Mud Puppy boat (I think that how you spell it), and he has the skills better than anyone I've ver seen, but he doesn't have boobs like the one's Gary just had fixed or something.

Anyway, I don't know why diving is always the GUE because I meet divers who're frm Italy and places where there is not a DIR course offering, but you can be DIR without beeing from a certain agency.

Isn't the DIR approach supposed to be a combination of skills, buoyancy, philosophical, lifestyle and action? Diving does much of that too.

I respect DIR because it make the most senses.

Julio

Alp Maritimes Marine Institute Newsletter V08N01 08-02-21
Dear Friends,

We must admit that we have been remiss in getting out this newsletter and so much so many of you let us know you missed it. So here we go with an up date.
In late October the time finally came where SeaClusion had to be stored for the upcoming winter months; she is resting in a warehouse at French Creek Marina until spring has sprung. As we packed up our things for our next road adventure, both Rosa and I were saddened to leave her behind along with all our friends at the Marina and in Clayton.

VESSEL RENOVATIONS: It was especially hard to leave her cause of all the improvements we’d put in and that all was completed literally days before we left thus we scarcely had time to enjoy the POSH renovations. As those of you who know us our vessels are really our pride and joy not to mention our home. Our main Yacht, SeaClusion, had undergone constant mechanical and seaworthiness improvements and maintenance.
Never the less this classic game fisher has seen lot of diving expeditions and has had lots of divers living on board over the years. She had just got a bit on the tired side as to décor and need a “Gucci”.
Rosa worked her decorating magic. She transformed old faded walls into masterpieces. All the window treatments were replaced. Every piece of wood on the boat including the back deck was stripped, sanded and either re-varnished or oiled. All the flooring was replaced. Plus 101 small touches that bring out her best. Oh well we’ll all enjoy it together on your next charter or course starting in June 2008.

TRIP SOUTH TO DIXIE: We left Clayton 25 of October, took a sort of leisurely back road run through Pennsylvania, Virginia, the Carolinas and Georgia. We stopped at a bunch of quaint towns seeing some cool stuff. Gettysburg, Charleston, St Augustine were some of the cool stops.
It was so great to tour the America, off the Interstate and get a taste for the flavor of this land.

DEMA: As usual the show was exciting, profitable and educational. Lots of excitement at NAUI. On display was a 3-D model of their soon to be worldwide headquarters buildings located on their own three acres of prime business park real estate in Tampa.
The Industry Monster Bash on Halloween Night was a winner. The Team Scuba’s NASCAR Grand National Division racecar and entire group was there unveiling the new Scuba Industry NASCAR in which Naui is participating as one of its many sponsors. Their new Team Scuba NASCAR driver is Ray Black, Jr. a NAUI diver. Of course all were offered good food, lots of drinks and many people were very creative and had some awesome costumes. Rosa and I got dressed up as pirates for the occasion. A great time was had by all.

OUR WINTER HIDEOUT: After DEMA we did the Gulf coast, Clearwater to Naples (Sanibal Island was by far Rosa’s favorite) and then to Lauderdale, finally we landed on Singer Island which is in the Palm Beaches of Florida at Thanksgiving.
We got here expecting to be able to catch up our writing obligations and relax a bit. Well, fact of the matter is we have been pretty busy consulting with associates in the yacht industry in anticipation for the Miami International Boat Show.
Plus Rosa is in the process of launching a new e-business. Only downer she had to fly back up north a few times for meetings and did get at least a taste of white hell. Enough to know she’ll never stay permanently in the snowy lands.
After the boat show is done we might be running a few tech/leadership courses and some wreck charters. If anyone wants to join us in late February or March we can make you an all-inclusive personalized package on training and diving.
If not we plan to go back up to the Thousand Islands in late spring and we'll be pleased to offer you all the charter and training services you need there.

GIVE OUT ONLY GOOD ADVICE: Not too long ago Capt. Jean Philippe and I were running back from the eastern Great Lakes. The weather was real bad; high winds, big waves, driving rain not fun but that's the lakes in spring. We are pounding our way when we get a distress call from a private dive vessel that ran aground, luckily they can give us their GPS. So J.P. punches it in his unit, drops the hammer and starts booking to the coordinates. Meanwhile I go below to plot it on the chart to get an idea of what they hit. I find that they had gone into area that had like no water, like two feet, any wonder they were grounded.
Well we get to them and realized we have to pull them off. Luckily, we can hook them and get them off the bar before they are driven on the rocks. But that is not the story, once off we asked how they got there and were told that they had followed the GPS coordinates for a wreck given them by a dive operator. They had made no mistake, later they showed us an email they had received with coordinates for several dive sites, all of which were WRONG, like on the rocks.
I know of a fella that wrote a book on dive sites and was given bad GPS "numbers" by operators who "didn't want anyone to dive "their" wrecks". A dive operator has even told me he always gives out bogus numbers when asked.
Listen here boys, if you don't want to give out numbers that is your business but bad numbers can ruin a day or a boat or a life. If you don't want to give numbers be man enough to say so! To those who get numbers, be sure you get them right (i.e. dd mm ss.s or dd mm.mmmm or dd.dddddd ect.) then be sure to check them on a chart. If you can't read a chart then you'd better learn because GPS is not a solution for poor seamanship. If you want I'll teach you to read a chart.

NAUI FIRST AID COURSE A WINNER: NAUI is elated at the recognition that their First Aid Course has received in the year since we introduced it. NAUI members who train and prepare divers for NAUI membership no longer need to rely on a third party to finish the job. Everything they need is available from NAUI. The Course has been reviewed by medical, physiological and emergency medical experts, contains all the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) recommendations and is accepted by the United States Coast Guard Training and Assessment Division.
The Course was favorably received in the January issue of 911 Magazine which serves law enforcement, fire, emergency medical services, search rescue, and disaster management.
This is a great course for divers but also for anyone wanting to be ready to render aid. As mentioned it allows us with NAUI to offer streamlined one stop shopping in training.

EMPRESS OF IRELAND EXPEDITIONS 2008: Expedition #1: JULY 28 to AUGUST 01 It is our pleasure to announce our renowned, first class, Empress of Ireland expeditions for next summer. This year both Rosa and I will be sure to be on hand to take care of your every need.
THIS IS ALL-INCLUSIVE: six nites condo lodging (double occupancy), three meals (booze in) a day, five days boat fees, all diving/deco gas, all permits, land attractions, full topside and underwater guide/hostess services.
We take care of everything all you have to do is make great dives!
We dive Mon-Fri, two dives per day weather permitting. Arrival onsite is Sunday for dinner the night before diving operations commence, depart on Saturday after last day of diving. For those arriving by plane from overseas (please inquire about fly in pricing) we will coordinate pickup at Montreal on Saturday and the seven hour transfer to Ste Luce via an over nite in historic Quebec City. Arrival at airport will be Saturday nite (lodging on guest account) for flites out Sunday.
First choice goes to veteran expedition members. First come, first serve.
Those joining us for the first time will be asked to furnish info on background before being accepted. Best thing is a reference from someone who has been with us before. We are looking for good divers but also “good ole boys”.
Should you need info on our expeditions go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress at the end is FAQ's. Listen to what “les boyz” have to say at our website Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc clique on Bulletin Board and then Expedition Reports.
If you are on Decostop The Deco Stop go to Canadian Wrecks and read my two posts, they will give more FAQ.
The Empress is a pinnacle dive. Most from last year’s trips are returning, all of them calling it the best diving expedition they’ve ever done. That’s no exaggeration!
We look forward to the pleasure of diving and serving you.

SPECIAL MESSAGE THE TROOPS:
Rosa wrote this last week to all our friends in the service:
This comes from my heart.
TK Bryant happens to be our neighbor here in Florida. He is a well known country singer and song writer in the U.S.
I love what he wrote about Freedom and I wanted to share this with you all for it touched my heart in so many ways.
We complain about so much, yet we have so much to be grateful for, especially Freedom!
Let us take a moment and say a pray for those brave boys that fight and die to keep us safe, and give us the gift of Freedom & Life!
Cheers to Freedom! Cheers to our soldiers and to all my friends I sent this to, especially my retired Marine & Navy Friends!
You know who you are. God bless. Love you all!
FREEDOM
by TK Bryant
F is for the flag that's always flown so high.
R is for remembering the boys who had to die.
E is for everyone who believes in real freedom.
E is for everyone, woman, child and man.
D is for dignity, that every man can own.
O is the opportunity to make this land our home.
M is the memory of freedom in our life.
‘and if we didn't fight for freedom, we wouldn't be free to fight!'
Well I guess that says it all. Good health and fun till we can have the pleasure of serving you in charters and training.
Regards,

"All Inclusive Packages"

Internet: Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc

Alp Maritimes Marine Institute NEWSLETTER V08N02
Dear Friends,
We trust that the grip of this terrible winter is finally beginning to loosen. As always the surest sign of the upcoming summer dive scene is the Beneath the Seas Dive Show in New Jersey this weekend. We are sad that after a decade of attending this great show we will have to take a pass this year.
We have charters/courses going on here for some overseas guests and the Palm Beach International Boat Show requires our attendance.
Most sad will be the fact we will miss seeing so many of our clients and friends at the show.
We will still be in Palm Beach for about a month more before heading back to the Thousand Islands. We of course look forward to serving all your diving needs this summer.

Upper End Courses in June: We have had an unprecedented call for top end courses in early June aboard our liveaboards in the Seaway and Great Lakes. A surprising number of divers have requested particularly instructor and mixed gas courses at this time. Despite the fact we will basically run any course at any time it would make sense to combine students as one often learns from others on a course as well as the staff. I suggest that if you are in anyway considering upper end courses you get with us as soon as possible. Taking a course at the start of a season really makes a lot of sense, as the benefits are immediate and will make the rest of your season more profitable. Please be advised that we will fill up fairly soon so act now.

DID ALL MY STOPS AND STILL GOT BENT: Well, for the 1001st time I have heard this line. You know what? For the 1001st I believe it. We must remember that we are dealing with decompression THEORY and not decompression LAW.
Who says that the deco you planned was the right one for that diver, on that day and that dive. Regardless of what deco algorithm you decide to use and regardless of the platform (paper tables, wrist computer or PC generated) there are a number of assumptions that the authors made. These assumptions may just not be in tune with your body and the dive. Remember the deco modeller has to work with some kind of mean variables. It behoves you to know your “theory/platform” very well. It is key to understand those elements which we refer to as “conservatism factors/settings”. Further to use these to adjust the deco schedule to the “mood” of your body.
Hence, why is it that the same profile bends you one day and not the next?
The answer may lie inside your body. Not every day is the same, your body in constant flux. The key is to listen to your body sending sometimes subtle messages.
It is important for us to try and “feel” what is happening at deco. First, dive as much as you can. The more you dive the more comfortable you get in the water and the more we can be in tune with our bodies. Bear in mind that every dive (even those so called NDL dives) involves decompression no matter how shallow or short.
Second, try and sense what is going on during your ascent. Most divers are in tune with the descent, as forces are on the “attack”. Pressure is increasing (clearing ears), volume is decreasing (gas consumption) and most senses are being blurred (sound, light). We are reacting to increasing external forces being imposed on the body, “defending”.
During the ascent the forces are in “retreat”. The mechanical tasks of diving become simpler. Our body is on the “offensive”, internal drives are being experienced
Each time you head back to the surface try and “imagine” what is going on in your body. Along with any computer or schedule your senses can guide you on the ascent. This is not an easy skill to learn. It is very subtle. It takes years and 1000’s of dives. You can of course increase the learning curve by putting your greatest asset to use, your brain.
Try and dive with those of us who have 1000’s of deco dives and do these every day. Listen, to how we interpret the subtle messages we get from the ole bones.

GAP RGBM DECO SOFTWARE: As mentioned above, currently we are booking a record number of upper end, read deeper deco, courses. Each of these courses includes a lot of time spent on deco theory. On the practical side we teach the use of GAP Deco Software. At the end of each course almost every client picks up a copy of GAP.
Still it is not only our own direct clients that are buying into this superior dive planning tool. In the last few months we have been electronically delivering tons of keys for GAP, Gas Absorption Program, with RGBM, Reduced Gradient Bubble Model algorithm.
I am sure more and more of you are appreciating that dissolved gas (Haldanian) deco theory although well known have now been superseded by much more modern thoughts. If you need to brush up on the reasons why you want to follow this theory please go to Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc and clique on Technical Articles. These will point out the benefits to all divers. Once you are comfortable go to the front page of the Alp site, scroll down and clique on the GAP button. You can down load a trial version good for several days. At this point you will have been convinced that this is the ticket; super easy and stable platform with the most advanced deco theory.
Should you need any assistance or info please contact us at; info@technicaldivingops.com

FLAT TABLES: Although most of us plan deco on a PC what happens when it fails or is just not a viable option? Every good diver knows the importance of redundancy and backup. In the days before the PC (seems like a million years ago) dive tables were all written on down on some flat surface and there are times we need to revert to this technology.
The best solution is the RGBM Decompression Table Manual (#66022) available to customers from NAUI Worldwide.
This manual includes:
1. Ranged constant PO2 tables for nitrox and trimix with PO2 of 1.3 and 1.4.
2. Open circuit tables for EAN 28,30,32,34,36,40,50.
3. Ranged trimix tables for 16/24-40 and 10/40 to 60 for depths between 90 fsw and 350 fsw.
4. Air tables with accelerated oxygen decompression.
5. The manual includes extreme exposure tables
Think of it this way: GAP is your strategic weapon, a wrist computer is your personal weapon, and the NAUI tables are your “hide away sidearm”. The result is victory on every mission! Why not book a trip with us and come and get introduced to all the tools of modern decompression theory.

WHAT ABOUT THOSE NO DECO DIVES: O.K. so not all our clients are into staged/planned deco dives.
It was pretty much agreed that we have come a long way in the last century, especially in the last fifteen years, from the days of “bubbles in snake eyes”. Today if you have a clue of decompression theory you have to be looking at both free phase and dissolved gas models thus appreciating the concept of deeper stops. It is pretty much the consensus that any dive over 50 feet could incorporate some type of “deep” stop. This opposed to going to the classic stops at the shallowest depth and dealing with “bubble trouble” at a pressure where it is already insulting tissue.
It would be great to be able to say we know it all; it would be great to tell divers we had found the answer that deco accidents were gone, but that is not the case yet. Never the less let us use the most modern theory possible. One concept is what we are calling “Half Stops”. This is an idea that has been used for years by deep divers but now we feel it could benefit all divers. What we are suggesting is that for No Decompression dives deeper that 50 feet; make a one minute stop at the midpoint between your maximum depth and the surface and then do a two to three minute stop at 15’. This will help cover both dissolved and free phase gases principals.

NAUI RGBM NO-CALCULATION DIVE TABLES: Have you ever heard a diver say, “I just can’t seem to understand Residual Nitrogen Time? RNT+ADT=TNT, this seems to be where planning gets difficult. NAUI exclusively introduces the new “no-calculation” dive tables for recreational diving. The tables use the modeling of the Reduced Gradient Bubble Model (RGBM). The result of some thoughtful design is a set of dive tables that can be easily used by any diver who can read a watch and a depth gauge.
There are nine tables in the full set. Three air tables: Sea Level 2,000 ft/610m, 2,000-6,000 ft/610m-1, 829m, and 6,000-10,000 ft./1,829-3,048m, three EAN32 tables for the same altitude increments and three EAN36 tables for the same altitude increments.
The concept and use are simple. An outline of definitions and how to use the table is printed on the back of each of the nine plastic tables. Of course you can come along on one of our expeditions and see their use first hand.

NAUI TECH COURSES SUCCESS CONTINUES: In the last year we have taught a record number of NAUI Tech courses covering the spectrum from Intro to Tech to Trimix. The reception has been EXCEPTIONAL! The greatest compliment is the super reception of dive instructors crossing over from other agencies to play the NAUI card.
The following is a tech course list: Intro to Technical Diving, Technical Nitrox, Staged Decompression Techniques, Helitrox, Heliair, Trimix Level I and II, Ice Diver, Wreck Penetration, Technical Wreck Penetration, Cavern Diver, Cave Diver Level I, II and III, Closed and Semi-Closed Circuit Rebreathers, Mixed Gas Closed Circuit Rebreathers, Gas Blender and Tech. Support Leader. Recognition programs will be available for NTEC (NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration).
For a full description please go to our website Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc and clique on Courses.
Now is the time to plan to get on board with some of this training. We are ready willing and able to render you the very best in training using the very best in course itinerary. Why not get with us now and let us design a custom course package for you and reserve your spot.

HAVE NOT READ DARK DESCENT YET? I guess I am bit weird but I read everything that I can on diving and with my schedule that is not easy but I have really learned to multi-task in the head. Seriously, I’m really surprised not everyone has read Kevin McMurray’s great book on diving the Empress of Ireland. It went to two prints in hard cover and just completely sold out and then to paperback and so those who have not read it still have a chance. This is really a special book in that it tells the story of just about all who ever dove the wreck and really gives the flavour of this region. It would have been great if you’d all had the chance to dive her over the years but since we can’t roll back the clock we can read about it.
The other great news is that the book is in “audio version”. It is a great honour for Kevin because this genre of books rarely is chosen for audio. O.K. before I get asked for the millionth time audio books are not just for the blind. For those of us who do not have to commute to work we have to realize to work millions of people who spend up to three hours a day driving to and from work. I guess you could read while driving the expressways but that is not DIR. Hence, a book on tape makes a great tool. BTW, this is also great for illiterate divers of which I know a few.
All kidding aside this every diver should read this great book.

A FEW EMPRESS SPOTS LEFT THIS SUMMER: If the book wet your appetite then come dive the Empress with us this summer. The reality is we do have one or two spots left in August. Kevin McMurray will be on hand and as will a collection of the usual celebrity wreck diving suspects.
For a good idea of diving the Empress, go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress, at the end is FAQ's. If you are on Decostop The Deco Stop go to Canadian Wrecks and read my two posts, they will give more answers.
Although the Empress is the big deal, there is also the destroyer Nipigon and the vessel Lina Gagne, discovered just last year.
Like I’ve always said this is an apex dive so get with me as soon as you can to get those last slots.

Well time to run. Once again regrets for not being at BTS. We send our warmest regards to all our clients and friends and trust we will be diving with you this summer.
Regards,
Capt. Gary Kulisek

"All Inclusive Packages"

Dear Friends,
Well we are back in the Thousand Islands. We took a week to drive north and visited with some of our clients and friends. We have been getting all set up for the upcoming season of courses and trips hence should be all ready in two weeks. We got the last jolt of winter when it snowed for 10 minutes on Tuesday but looks like we are finally out of winter. We can hardly wait for our first clients to get here to enjoy the season of great diving.
ROBERT (BOB) WILLIAM CRONKWRIGHT July 28, 1939-April 13, 2008:
We are very sorry to inform you that Bob Cronkwright, ACUC’s President, passed away this last month after a lengthy illness.
Bob was best known in the diving world as the one who propelled ACUC International (American Canadian Underwater Certifications Inc.) to the international organization it is to day.
I had known Bob for many decades; yes he was a pioneer, great diver and good business man. But most important he was a man of honor and of his word. He worked tirelessly at the promotion of scuba diving and always lent a hand or kind word to many of us.
Bob leaves this world a better place for his good works and this is the mark of a great man and a tribute to him. Our condolences to his family.

THE PIRATES ARE LANDING: Along with great diving the Thousand Islands offers a great deal more. Quaint towns and beautiful scenery to go along with the super diving. One event stands out "Alexandria Bay Pirate's Week" August 8th to 17th. This is a great time to come and dive but also to party in an incredible atmosphere. Believe me, I have seen Pirate's Week in Grand Cayman and it is tame and boring compared to A Bay's version. If you think you were born 300 years too late come on along and live your fantasy. Actually, if you think you were born 30 years too late come any ways cause I'm not sure if it is more like the 1660's or the 1960's. Couple of years ago I think I saw Hendricks, Joplin and Blackbeard all on the same night.

INTRO TO TECH: In the past we felt there existed a training void at the entry level of tech diving and as well for more than one option for the recreational diver looking to advance. Classically divers would take a number of “advanced recreational specialties” and buy some “tech gear” and sort of feel their way along. Problems arose when they got to some upper level tech courses, Deep Wreck Penetration or Trimix and they were missing some very basic info and skills. Too often we had to regress or divers had to “unlearn” misconceptions and habits.
Our approach back then, for those starting out in tech diving was to offer a very “heavy” Nitrox course. We would offer an intense Nitrox course; pack in a ton of info, in an effort to get people in the right direction. This approach did work fairly well but there were time constraints imposed by a Nitrox Course.
Luckily we now can offer Intro to Technical Diving Course. This is a skill-oriented course with lots of diving skills and gear refinements. The goal is to get divers out of the “Jacket B.C./short hose” mentality and get them started on the right foot to adventure diving. Naturally we will still offer combo courses, for example by combining this new course with a classic Nitrox we will have the time to establish a very firm base of skills and knowledge. As in all our courses NTEC, NAUI Technical Equipment Configuration, will be covered.
Our sport has developed and the envelope is being pushed. The days are gone when you could learn by watching other divers on the boat. We are very pleased to be able to offer a full, formalized and continuous training plan all the way from beginner to deep Trimix. By the mechanism of our liveaboard training venue we can still impart a huge amount of knowledge in a comparatively shorter time than the “classroom/day boat” approach.
Check out all the courses at Alp–Maritimes Marine Institute Inc clique on COURSES.

CLARIFICATION ADVISORY FOR BYSTANDER CPR: The American Heart Association has advised that bystander CPR using compressions only (that is, without ventilations) is appropriate in the case of sudden cardiac arrest of an adult. The new Science Advisory from the Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee of the AHA was published in Circulation on March 31, 2008. It amends and clarifies the 2005 CPR Guidelines.
The scope of the committee’s recommendations and “call to action” are limited to bystanders as they care for an adult who has experienced a witnessed cardiac arrest of probable cardiac origin (for example, sudden collapse or collapse after signs consistent with a heart attack). They read in part: “When an adult suddenly collapses, trained or untrained bystanders should, at a minimum, activate their community emergency medical response system (e.g. call 911) and provide high-quality chest compressions by pushing hard and fast in the center of the chest, minimizing interruptions.”
The new recommendations do NOT apply to victims of unwitnessed cardiac arrest, cardiac arrest in children, or cardiac arrest presumed to be of non-cardiac origin, such as victims of drowning and other asphyxia-precipitated events or trauma.
The “2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR and Emergency Cardiac Care” emphasized the importance of chest compressions over frequent ventilations. The compression to ventilation ratio was increased to 30:2, in part because studies had shown that chest compressions build up a hemodynamic advantage that is lost during each pause to deliver rescue breaths.
Since 2005, further studies have demonstrated that survival rates with bystander chest-compression-only CPR for witnessed cardiac arrests in adult patients does not differ from that of conventional CPR in the same circumstances. In addition, the committee cites several studies that show that rescuers performing traditional CPR take much longer to initiate CPR, which it says may be caused by skill and emotional burdens associated with the more complex task as well as the esthetics and possible concern about infection in mouth-to-mouth contact.
How will this affect diver’s position on CPR training? Training agencies teach CPR primarily to diving professionals and divers, a population that is far more likely to encounter victims of drowning and other forms of asphyxial arrest. Nevertheless, it is prudent that we be aware of the new recommendations from the AHA ECC Committee and that we consider the options.
Ultimately the message is it is better to do something than nothing!!!

NEED MARINE ENGINE PARTS?: Many of you out there own boats. Boat diving allows you the mobility to get to all the good sites. Unfortunately boats tend to break down just when you need them most. Most of us have very short seasons and hence can not tolerate any down time. All too often the worst problem is parts. How many times have you been told by your local boat service people they can’t find the “kazoo for your 1970 Puddle Hopper 302” and hence you have a 35’ immobile house rather than a dive boat.
Better remember French Creek Marina,   (315) 686-3621. This mega huge marine parts operation is run by Capt. Wilburt Wahl. He maintains a staggering inventory of marine parts; new, rebuilt and used. They are the largest supplier of Volvo Penta parts in the universe (O.K. may be not the entire universe, but close). As well they stock mountains of parts for just about anything else from just about any year.
BTW, they ship all over the world, so do not worry you live too far to use this resource.
If you are not sure what you need call Wilburt, talk to him, the man has forgotten more about marine stuff than most boat service people have had time to learn. His knowledge is HUGE.
O.K. so you’ve given up on your local mechanics or are planning a major overhaul or repower. Get with Hans Wahl, head of service, he can handle what ever your needs may be. Ship him your old tired engine and in short order you’ll get back a motor better than new.
Do not loose this number, even if your boat is fine that won’t last forever, French Creek will be your marine parts lifesaver!

Clayton Diving Club Reorganizes: A Meeting was held Saturday, April 19th, 2008, 1 PM in Clayton, NY with the goal of reorganizing the club Clayton Diving Club .
The meeting began with the history of the Clayton Diving Club which was begun in 1967 and incorporated in 1970. There were photo albums, films, and narrations by charter founding member Skip Couch.
Capt. Heinz Wahl made a very informative presentation on the wreck of the Maggie L which rests at the mouth of French Bay. Heinz is definitely the elder states man on this wreck and impressed all with his array of little know facts and correction to misconceptions about her.
The official business was to nominate and elect a new slate of officers; the new officers will convene a meeting to entertain any new business that may be brought forward for the good of the club.
This is was an opportunity to learn about one of the legendary SCUBA diving clubs of New York State. Whose intent is to continue the tradition of diving “The Majestic St. Lawrence River”, as denoted on the original club logo by founding member Charlie “River Rat” Bender.
The next meeting will be held May 24th @ 18:00 Natali's Seaway Inn, Clayton, NY. We invite all those who dive the river to join the club to maximize our fun.
BTW The New York State Divers Association's annual convention is scheduled for June 13-15 at Natali's Seaway Inn, Clayton, NY.

A FEW EMPRESS SPOTS LEFT THIS SUMMER: The reality is we do have one or two spots left in August.
For a good idea of diving the Empress, go to my web site www.technicaldivngops.com scroll down the front page to Letters of Intro and clique on the one for the Empress, at the end is FAQ's. If you are on Decostop The Deco Stop go to Canadian Wrecks and read my two posts, they will give more answers.
Although the Empress is the big deal, there is also the destroyer Nipigon and the vessel Lina Gagne, discovered just last year.

Well the sun is setting over the river and that means cocktail hour. Remember that we have some of the very best diving in the world here and await the pleasure of serving you soon.

Regards,

"All Inclusive Packages"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back