dryglove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first started diving dry, I used wet gloves, and was ok in them. I was typically diving in 40-50 degree waters.....when I switched to diving dry gloves, I found a close link between switching from a wetsuit to a drysuit. In our local waters, wearing a 7mm wetsuit is possible, but on cool days in the winter, you freeze on your surface interval, and the second dive becomes quite intollerable. The same goes for dry gloves....Are your hands warmer under water? depends on the the wet golves and the dry gloves....but in general, likely not whole bunch more.

BUT....when you come up from that first dive, your hands are warm and dry, ready to go fro dive 2....no need to dry them off, and warm them betweens dives.

So, the short answer.....No, you do NEED dry gloves (assuming you don't have wrist issues like mo2vation), having said that they are more comfortable if you are diving in colder climates.....Much like switching to a drysuit. It is addicting though....once you go dry, you never go back.

Happy Diving,
Tyler

Hmm. Perhaps I'll give this dryglove thing a try sometime.

I really don't have any issues with my 3mm gloves, however, and I dive the same waters that Mo2vation does, and also do photography. I'll admit to occasional wrist leakage, however, for the same reasons he stated.

There seems to be a few styles of dry glover out there. There is even a few that are not "installed"

Does anyone have links to sites I could research the many types of DryGloves?

BTW I currently dive a Whites Aqua Pro

Jason

sunkarm:
hi,

is drygloves necessary if we r using drysuit? which is the best dryglove at the moment?

Not essential. Depending on water temperature 5mm normal gloves maybe fine.

I generally dislike drygloves and find most near impossible to fit on my own. I use 5mm 3 fingered mitts which i find both warmer and easier to don/doff alone than drygloves.

Drygloves are just another option, they aren't absolutely essential.

sunkarm:
hi,

is drygloves necessary if we r using drysuit? which is the best dryglove at the moment?

Mo2vation, Ken, pretty much writes the entry in Wikipedia this time! :)

I'm happy with my SI TECH drygloves.

For dexterity, I'll use them right up to 70 degrees, then switch to 3mm neoprene or bare hands, depending on how long the dives are going to be.

For real cold water, I'll put larger pvc gloves on the SI TECH rings and use two liners.

Pretty versatile.

Just curious, for what kind of temps, durations and manual activity are you anticipating using drygloves?

Dave C

It depends on where and when you dive, up in Canada in the winter we wear drygloves, right now the temp in the lake is 38F, in the summer we can wear regular wetgloves.

I have just researched the drygloves currently on the market. There seem to be a lot of good choices on the market. Here in the PNW I see all types. People seem to like the OS and the Vikings. I have both. Si-Tech seem to be popular as well. I like the Vikings due to the way the rings attach to each other. It is a bit easier for me to remove the Vikings than the OS. I got the Vikings off Bob3 here on the boards. I am happy with the price I paid and the service he gave (Thanks Bob!). I purchased just the rings set and then went to Seattle Marine and picked up the gloves for about $3.00 a pop. I got both the Orange and Blue "smurf" gloves. The latter being a little thicker. The liners were about $4.50. I currently am diving the OS but will probably install the Viking rings next time I have my seals changed.

Where are good sources to purchase the Viking rings and the DC rings? Any online resources? I'm interested in picking up a pair at some point, but wanted to read more about each, and compare prices.

Interesting topic. My new dry gloves just arrived in yesterday's mail. Thus far, I've been doing just fine with wetsuit gloves with my drysuit (northern California waters - low to mid 50s). When I ordered my drysuit, I got it with the cuff rings installed. (I did that for the ability to have quick changes/replacement of my latex wrist seals.) But a few months ago while wandering through a dive shop in Monterey, they had a bunch of dry gloves on the rack. I tried one on and felt I needed to try these out some time.

While setting up the gloves with my rings last night, I did notice that the big blue dry gloves may be a bit more difficult to adjust little fasteners in the water. Not impossible, but a bit less firm of a feel on the finger tips than with a form-fitting wetsuit glove. Just my initial observation.

Back
Top Bottom