Insta-roomate on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jchoby:
Only one bad one... Actually, by the end of the cruise, the crew and all the guests were ready to ring his neck.

I know the type. When I was on a liveaboard last year, I had a female roommate (we were the only 2 females aboard). She was a non diver that joined just to get away from things for a while. When she was sober, she was great. But when she got drunk (which was most of the time) she was loud & very obnoxious. I'm kind of a quiet, keep to myself type person & was quite uncomfortable when she was inebriated. I was there to dive, she was there to drink. Most of the time she'd be wasted by the time we came back from our 3rd dive of the day. I would just try to avoid her when she was drunk, which was difficult on a 65' sail boat. I think the guys did about the same thing. I enjoyed the trip except for that one issue.

I couldn't do it.

I don't like sharing heads either.

I try, but it really throws me off my game.

I generally book the whole room for myself. When I was younger and poorer, however, I shared a room on a few liveaboards with no problems. You don't spend much time in the room anyway, and my roommates were nice, considerate people who didn't snore.

I once booked a trip on the Reina Silvia in the Galapagos at the last-minute. I was pretty happy to get a spot. The agent said, "I hope sharing a room with a woman is not a problem." I said no problem, but let me check with my (now ex-) wife. Big problem, as it turned out.

In Singapore my dive shop asked me to share rooms with a woman (I was single by this time) on a package they'd arranged. I was reluctant, but the woman called me at work and explained that she was a student and couldn't afford the single supplement, so I relented. Best dive trip ever.

I had an insta roomie on the Belize Aggressor last year. It worked out. I don't know if she had any complaints about me, but I can't imagine how that would be possible anyway, :D the only thing I could say about her was she got up very early and always woke me up but I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

I had an insta-cabinmate on my liveaboard in Thailand last February. In fact, when I showed up to board, I learned that the whole boat - save my space - had been chartered by an Italian dive club. So, my roommate was a lovely Italian woman who spoke no English. She was fine and I think it worked out. Because we couldn't communicate we both tried extra hard to be considerate. And frankly, you just don't spend much time in the cabin. Ear plugs are a good idea and if there are two dive groups, it would be a good idea for your cabin mate to be in another group so when you surface, you both aren't running for the bathroom. Also, make sure you bring only what you need - cabins are very small. And -- keep your crap out of bathroom when you aren't using it. Two women = lots o' product + motion from the ocean = big mess on head floor.

Have fun! I'm jealous.

--Sioux

drbill:
Ha. What I mean is that DESPITE the fact that my cabinmates were all male, it was tolerable. Had they been lovely lady divers... who knows what might have happened. What goes on on a LOB, stays on the LOB.

Not always. :11: We haven't met yet. Let me introduce myself, daddy. :D

I was solo on a Mike Ball liveaboard and was assigned a roommate. It worked out fine, and we also ended up buddying-up for dives. We joked around some on the boat but tended to hang out with different groups which provided some good balance. I get up early and would sneak out and bring a book to the lounge, and I also tended to go to bed earlier than her. That helped from the point of view of showers, dressing and all that. I wondered what my wife was going to say when she found out that I was put in a cabin with a woman (this dive trip was tacked on the end of a solo work trip to Australia) but she was OK with it (we're quite happy together and I've never let her down).

And I echo the comment of bringing earplugs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom