turn a scba bottle into a dive bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not sure but I dont think it will hold up to the pressure from depth. Like I said I have no proof or expertise to back this up, just an opinion

Apparently, it can be done. In fact, there is a patent on file for a conversion device. From the patent drawings, it appears that SCBA valves are fundamentally different than the standard K valves normally found on SCUBA cylinders.

HOWEVER, I am not aware of a really good reason to do it. Aluminum isn't terribly expensive nowadays, and steel, though more expensive, isn't prohibitively priced. On the other hand, buying a conversion kit is probably relatively expensive.

One point to be considered is materials. SCBA cylinders can be made of aluminum, steel, and a carbon fiber composite. Luxfer introduced a "carbon fiber hoop wrapped" cylinder in 2002, but the US DOT imposed different requirements on fill stations to service those cylinders. It may be difficult to find air fills for a composite cylinder from a regular LDS, although a fire station would undoubtedly have a compliant fill station. Also, the composite cylinders have a maximum life of 15 years and must then be retired from service. Buying an old composite might just mean that you have to retire the thing soon.

What pressure SCBA bottle are you thinging about? If it a 2200 psi like the older Scott Paks It would most likely possible. I think the newer 4500 psi tanks, I think that pressure would be to high for a typical 1st stage reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom