MV Golden Dawn- Thoughts/Comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

We are considering the Port Moresby-Eastern Fields-Port Moresby itinerary on this liveaboard and I would like a bit of advice and any other thoughts or reviews anyone might have.

This would be our first "non-carribbean/atlantic/lake/spring" diving. I have over 1000 dives under my belt in varied conditions, but nothing I would consider very challenging. That said, I've done a fair amount of current diving (mild, cozumel/belize type current) and am very very comfortable in the water. My wife has over 500 dives under her belt and I would say she has the same level of experience I do.

This looks like a trip that has it asll. Including big animals and macro sights that we both like. It may be a while before we get back to this part of the world and I'd really like to try something a bit different.

Thanks for any and all thoughts in advance.

My wife and I spent two weeks on the Golden Dawn in May of 2006. I wrote a review for the Undercurrent Chapbook if you have acess to that. I can send you my Word file if you'd like.

Bottom line: The seas were very warm: 86 F at depth! Visibility was way down: 15' - 75'. Most were in the 35-50' range. Saw very few big animals. Lots of nudibrancs, but gets boring after a while looking in rubble. Only ray was a lone eagle that shot by at limits of vis. Sharks came in quickly and left just as quickly at the sound of the "water bottle rub". Very few sharks in general. Had a great dolphin dncounter on snorkle. In general, the number of fish was a lot lower than I expected. The volumes were not like they were in Galapagos, Cocos, Maldives, Fiji, Tahiti, etc. No huge bait balls (quite huge in comparison to Carribbean)

Ship is great. Crew are great. Food fabulous. That was our 10th liveaboard and about 20th dive trip. We are spoiled, but the trip was not as good as it should have been (On the world scale). Check the water temps, if they are more normal, you may have better luck.

I'm assuming this is NOT the Golden Dawn tall ship that used to be owned by the Brotherhood of the Sun in Santa Barbara, CA USA. Jean-Michel Cousteau had plans to use that vessel for a program here in our Channel Islands back in the mid-70's, but the vessel was sold before we could use it.

Ah, DEFINITELY not the Golden Dawn I'm thinking of...

COUST002.JPG

I see the golden dawn offers a variety of schedules. Which itineriey were you on?

I have heard the Eastern Fields trip is "Gorilla Diving" a couple of people who have done this trip say it is the finest diving period. Their comparison was Palau and Galapagos....I can not take a liveaboard for 10 days...so I would like to read your trip report!

JohnnyQuest.....Did you do the Eastern Fields? or one of there other trips as I hear the water is cooler out at the Eastern Fields and they only have a couple of windows a year that they go in this area.

Back
Top Bottom