Even careful people do dumb things.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njd3rph:
To eliminate your problem filling your lift bag under these type of conditions try filling the bag using the exhaust from your reg rather then taking the reg out of your mouth. Just tilt your head sideways (so that the exhaust is facing up) and alow the exhast to fill the bag.

THis I gotta try :)....

Firediver:
THis I gotta try :)....

Me too :)

Web, why would you not want to practice air-sharing? It is just yet another back-up, if you will, isn't it? I know it would not have helped that particular day but...

Anyway, I am trying going try using the exhaust to fill my bag. Love, the hands comment :)

Missdirected:
Me too :)

Web, why would you not want to practice air-sharing? It is just yet another back-up, if you will, isn't it? I know it would not have helped that particular day but...

I have nothing against it, except that I had never tried it before and that didn't seem like a good time to learn how.

The lift bag thing is really sweet. It's not often that I run across a new way to do something that is both easier and safer all at the same time.

Fewer hands, no need to remove a perfectly good reg from your mouth. Great stuff all the way around.

Terry

Web Monkey:
This week I called Atomic and talked to a technician about the free-flow. It turns out that although it's pretty much impossible to freeze the first stage on the M1 no matter what you do or where you dive it, it's entirely possible to freeze the second stage on almost any reg if you take it out of your mouth and let it fill with water, then use it again, as I had done when filling the lift bag. If I recall correctly, he said that ice can build up around the lever, which keeps the valve from closing, causing a free-flow.
Thanks for that information, it explains some freeflows I've had when practicing switching regs in cold water. I had no idea!

I don't blame you for not trying buddy breathing, I found it very easy in a pool but much harder in freezing water when my face was frozen, and was breathing faster due to the cold. It takes a few seconds longer to get the reg in your mouth since your lips can't move, and then you need twice as much air because your body is metabolizing so quickly to generate heat.

Thanks for sharing.
I'm using airtwo too, normally after I blew the sausage my second stage would go free flow, while I'm biting the Air-2. So far, it's okay for me, there are three ways I use to stop free flow, but I dive in warm water, so it might not works on cold water.
1. I'll stuck my finger/s into the mouth piece.
2. I bang the reg to my left palm.
3. Sometime I stuck it into my mouth and after one two breath it goes back to normal.
These three works for my reg.
Somebody once told me the reg went free flow easily because we face it up during SMB air filling, so maybe doing no 1,2 it helps because it faces down.

That are my crappy theories, but it works for me.
I'm also getting the independent hose for blowing SMB and also, to attach dive alert.
Because I'm keeping my air-2, love it, and don't want to make it too long and bulky by having the dive alert on the same hose.

DeepBound:
Thanks for that information, it explains some freeflows I've had when practicing switching regs in cold water. I had no idea!

Me either, but I haven't had any trouble at all since I started keeping the reg in my mouth and inflating the lift bag with the exhaust.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom