What are your 5 favourite books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trinigordo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The 5 favourite movie thread; made me think that someone just needs to do a best album and a best book thread.

So people what are your top 5 books of all time? I know 5 is fairly limiting, so feel free to abuse the requested number :D

1) Shogun - James Clavell : Think The Last Samurai only twenty thousand times better. I literally could not put this book down and read non-stop for a day and half until every page was digested. By far and away the best book I've read, the others will be in no particular order though.

2) Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe/Swiss Family Robinson - Johann Wyss : Is there anything better than your own private paradise? I would have never leave either of these islands.

3) The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran : If you haven't treated yourself to this masterpiece take the time and read it. It is the most insightful and beautiful book ever written.

4) Anything by Stephen King : The only contemporary writer that I have compulsively read. I've lost much sleep to books like The Shining, It, and Rose Madder. I remain convinced that the dark tower series depict an alternate reality that just might rival Tolkien's Middle Earth. Also his novellas are truely great and I feel that is where he really excels.

5) The Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings/History of Middle Earth - J.R.R. Tolkien : Wow, what more can I say? You have done yourself a serious injustice if you haven't read these books yet. Tolkien mesmerizes you and pulls you into another existance that becomes all encompassing and leaves you in awe of his creativity. BIG BONUS is its an easy read for even those people that hate to read.

Honourable mentions go to;

Tale of Two Cities, The Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, Captains Courageous, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, The Old Man and The Sea, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Call of The Wild, Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Last of The Mohicans, Prince and The Pauper, The Three Musketeers, Robin Hood, King Arthur, Around The World In 80 Days, The Time Machine, and last but not least Treasure Island.

These "classics" are the books I started reading with, they are all great and all deserve an honourable mention at least. I could not imagine where I would be today without them, but my guess is I'd probably be a functional illiterate. They captivated my imagination and demonstrated to a young me the importance of reading.

Hey like I said demolish the 5 book limit if you so please :eyebrow:

I cannot wait to see other peoples' books :popcorn:

Easier with favorite authors than particular books: Don Delillo (fx Underworld or Mao II), Haruki Murakami (fx Norwegian Wood, or South of the border, west of the sun), Salman Rushdie (Midnight's Children, the Ground beneath her feet), Italo Calvino (If a winternight a traveller...), Thomas Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow). And my diving manuals of course ;-)

Trinigordo:
....snip.......Honourable mentions go to;
.........20,000 Leagues Under The Sea..........
Only "Honourable Mention" for a book with this passage?

"The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........The sea does not belong to despots. Upon its surface men can still exercise unjust laws, fight, tear one another to pieces, and be carried away with terrestrial horrors. But at thirty feet below its level, their reign ceases, their influence is quenched, and their power disappears. Ah! sir, live -- live in the bosom of the waters! There only is independence! There I recognise no masters! There I am free!"

Moby Dick - Herman Melville
Tales From The 1001 Arabian Nights
The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
Illusions - Richard Bach
The Essential Rumi, tr. from the original Persian by Coleman Barks
Frankenstein - Mary Shelley
Virtual Light - William Gibson
The Velveteen Rabbit :)

Yeah, that's eight... Out of literally hundreds... Picking just five is impossible!

by writer:
1. everything by FRANZ KAFKA (short stories in particular)
2. most of HARUKI MURAKAMI (wind-up bird chronicles, in particular)
3. BORIS VIAN
4. DOSTOEVSKY (Karamazov Brothers, demons etc)
5. KURT VONNEGUT (almost everything)

GypsyDoc:
Only "Honourable Mention" for a book with this passage?

"The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........The sea does not belong to despots. Upon its surface men can still exercise unjust laws, fight, tear one another to pieces, and be carried away with terrestrial horrors. But at thirty feet below its level, their reign ceases, their influence is quenched, and their power disappears. Ah! sir, live -- live in the bosom of the waters! There only is independence! There I recognise no masters! There I am free!"

Fantastic book, I agree, but stiff competition and a self imposed limit of 5 lead to it only being an honourable mention.

I didn't realize divers had time to read books! Given the intensity of my diving (300+ dives per year) and the long hours I spend editing the resulting video, I don't think I've read a book in a few years. I do read poetry (much shorter to consume), particularly that of Robinson Jeffers.

My favorite novel of all time is John Fowles The Magus. I read it in the summer of 1969 just before I moved to Catalina. It was written by Fowles based on his experiences on the Greek Island of Spetsai where I had unknowingly spent some time the summer before that. I re-read this novel (or its second version) about every two years and after nearly 40 years I'm still not sure I understand it!

However, in a strange way it has foretold much of my life... teaching at a private school on a "Mediterannean" island, falling in love with twins (both of whom I dated and considered marrying albeit 25 years apart), some of my personal philosophy, etc.

Your mileage with it may differ, but I've found it fascinating. The movie version with Candyce Bergen playing the twins (mmmm), Anthony Quinn playing the enigmatic character Conchis and Michael Caine playing me is a poor rendition of the book's complexity.

Two other novels I've re-read frequently are Steinbeck's Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday about my marine biologist icon Edward F. "Doc" Ricketts whose birthday is tomorrow (I'll celebrate it with my usual beer milkshakes). I've also re-read several times the writings of "Doc" himself, edited and published by the late marine biologist Joel Hedgpeth in a two volume set under the title The Outer Shores. Good thing "Doc" had Steinbeck to craft his thoughts into something readable, because Ed's writings are pretty excrutiating to read.

The most recent book I've read was Reef Madness (NO, not Reefer Madness... but I did see the movie, decades ago) about the scientific conflicts between Louis and Alexander Agassiz (of Harvard University's Museum of Comparative Zoology fame) and Charles Darwin on the issues of evolution and coral reef formation.

In no particular order -

1. The Art of War (6th century BC: Translation by Thomas Cleary) - Sun Tzu
2. Oh Jerusalem (1988) - Collins and Lapierre
3. The Shores of Another Sea (1971) - Chad Oliver
4. In This House of Brede (1969) - Godden
5. Lord of the Rings (entire trilogy) (Various) - Tolkien

Back
Top Bottom