How to fix my canister light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorbar1551

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So on a trip to san diego a couple months ago, my canister leaked. It allowed maybe a half inch or inch of water in the canister. I opened it up after the dive, dryed the inside, and duct taped the outside. I took it on the next dive and everything went fine.

Well, when i go to use it during a dive about a month ago, nothing worked. The light didnt turn on. I havent checked the power on the batteries, and ill do that tonight. Is there a place where i can send it and have them fix it? How hard would it be to fix it myself?

Need a bit more to go on but my guess is you toasted your battery pack. It probably corroded while it sat at home. Should be easy to find out. Try to charge it. If it takes a charge test it with a multi-meter.

If you had immediately removed the shrink wrap and rinsed it with fresh water you MIGHT have saved it. But to just let it sit probably condemned it to death.

If it isn't the battery, then I would send it to someone like Howard Sandroff.

What can light do you have?

I dunno...its an older one that my friend bought online, fixed it up and sold it to me.

It sounds like you fried your battery pack.. But you also your bulb may be toast as well. .once the contacts corrode the bulb is usually toast as well.

Consider sending it to one of the major light manufacturers for repairs. I know salvo and halycon will work on other lights. There repairs are normally pretty affordable. I prefer salvo for other reasons...if I can help you at all let me know. If the bulb, ballast, and battery are bad it might be time to consider a new light...if I can help...

Brent

Corrosion can, with time, creep up wires and effect switches and connections all over the light (at least , from my experience :11: ). It can also take some time to destroy your batteries (more experience :shakehead ).

Salvo has always done more than right by me.

I just checked my battery with a voltage meter, one was saying high 12, the other was saying high 11's...so i dont think its the battery. I tried to check the light, but i couldnt get the "protecter" off the light...im gonna try and post some pictures

It was made by american underwater lighting, inc.

i went to tap plastics near my house to see if i could buy a piece of acrylic tubing so i could make a "new" body for my light. they wanted 150.00 per foot of tubing thats approx 4 inches in diameter, and 3/8 of an inch thick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom