Wet Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't make sense of the overhead environment, but the "deep" portion isn't so wierd. Don't know what agency this was with - but during my OW checkout dives we were taken down to 60' for one of the dives. The reasoning behind this was that since we were going to be certified to that depth, it made sense to have a supervised trip so that we could experience the difference between the other dives which never went below 25'-30' and 60' - which (at least to my newb self) was different enough that I was glad for the supervision.

NewFloridaDiverLady:
Moral of the experience:
- “wet regulator” – never heard of it ; never happened to my instructor nor the in dive shop; now they have incorporated “switching to octo” into their classes
-Skills acquired through basic OW course have to be practiced in order to be useful: re: my inability to communicate OOA – I wish for no one to have to communicate that though.
-As much as I was able to have some thinking process –it was not the right problem solving reaction – I could have grabbed my octopus or my instructors’: re: panic

Your honest self-appraisal and excellent insight will make you an outstanding diver! I like dive buddies like that!

From your description and that of NewFloridaDiver's, it sounds like you didn't panic completely, since you were still thinking and may have cooperated to some extent with the instructor on the way up.

Also, your initial mistake of not seeking out a closer air source is quite understandable for someone with such limited experience. It's quite a natural response until you've practiced the alternatives, as you pointed out.

Experience will teach you that bolting for the surface is a "last resort", since it's often quite risky in itself. Thankfully, you didn't hold your breath with a lung-full of air this time.

It's great to see you've got such a positive attitude! I think you'll become the kind of diver who calmly solves problems at depth after this experience.... nothing strengthens a lesson like fear and honest self-assessment! :)

NewFloridaDiver:
Ok, now for some observations and "issues" I have with the LDS and instructor:
Some three weeks later, they haven't had "time" to check this equipment out further and let us know just what happened to the 2nd stage. This doesn't seem right to me. Also, when talking to the owner of the LDS after this incident, he didn't even seem concerned about what happened. He was kind enough to offer free use of the rental equipment for another checkout dive, but said that she would "have to pay" for the instructors time for another checkout dive trip to the Blue Grotto. Later, she gets billed over $1,500 for medical expense incurred. Add insult to injury! I do not fault the instructor whatsoever. He simply did not know that she was not able to breathe, and I credit him with safely bringing her to the surface and getting her gear off. I do have issues with how she's being handled by the LDS, with no offers of compensation, nothing.

I do like this LDS and don't want to create ill feelings, but just how is one supposed to deal with this?

Both of you have provided very clear descriptions of the incident, but without the instructor's perspective on things, the picture may not be complete.

It appears remedial action was taken promptly during the incident, although not making sure the student was breathing and not holding her breath stands out as a major potentially risky omission.

However, that may have been difficult to do if the student was still struggling to bolt for the surface.

As far as compensation, the fear of unreasonable lawsuit may have led the LDS to steer clear of any actions that might imply accepting fault. Perhaps their insurance company has advised as much, which would make perfect sense.

I'd be inclined to give the dive shop a break on this one.

Dave C

"Now, as for the medical expenses, didn't your dive shop sign you up with a student membership with DAN?!?"

Nope! Sadly enough! 3 weeks later the bill is about 2300 :-( You know, I think the best outcome of this thread is to make everyone looking for sources more aware as well as more astute; I wll definitively bring this to the attention of owner of the diveshop - hopefully they will care more!
Dry dives and thank you!

Web Monkey:

" Any instructor that takes or allows an OW student to enter a cave or cavern should be severely beaten. The reason they call it an "Open Water" certification is because the surface is open. When you can't directly ascend to the surface, it's no longer Open Water."

Hello Terry:
You would think that when you go to certify with an accredited agency, they would know better than you do? Wouldn't you? I would trust their judgement and guidelines as I know none. Water is water :) But this made us look into PDIC guidelines for performing check out dives. No info there; are the local LDS shops free to pick and choose? Sure. Lots of water here. Thanks for the feedback; the instructor though would just follow policies - this I know for a fact!

Why the @#$@#$%#@$^ were you taken into an OVERHEAD ENVIRONMENT for your open water training?! :shakehead :shakehead
Overhead environments require extensive training and experience...they are NOT where you go for open water training..

LOL did I have a choice? Thank you - the luck of the beginner I guess; I can compare now overhead and open water, even with my miserable number of dives - different silence for a fact. Is critical when you have a babydiver with equipment misfunction - and for the record - when I prepped my gear, before getting in the water, did check my second stage flow - both reg and octo fine; were for about 5 min under the water too; and than - over. Thank you for the valuable tips!

"I also have issues with this "deep dive" that was planned. The plan was to go down to 52' for an open water training dive? What the heck? :confused:[/quote]"

Took me 3 days to go from pool 3' to cave 52' to wall 82' - the one thing I got lucky with after all the weird stuff is my "default ear clearance" - I have no struggle with equlizing, just swallow lol so depth at this point hasn't hit me yet; but have no intention to go 150" - unless it's a super wreck :)
Dry diving! And thanks for participating!

use it as a learning tool, that's all you can do now...
btw- don't forget your octopus is for YOU and your buddy! it's the first place you should go if you have an issue with your primary.

[quote=dave4868]Your honest self-appraisal and excellent insight will make you an outstanding diver! I like dive buddies like that!

Thank you, Dave! I hope and want to become a good diver, a better diver for my own good and my buddy's good. We are guests underthere, and I'm very clear on what I can and can't for now, and do know it takes practice. And the sole reason to share my failure here is to try help someone before it happens to them. Truly!

From your description and that of NewFloridaDiver's, it sounds like you didn't panic completely, since you were still thinking and may have cooperated to some extent with the instructor on the way up.

Evrika! Cross my heart - do believe I had a leftover of cool brain during panic; was observing myself and surroundings and it's so peculiar - like it's happening to someone else; the point the instructor made that while ascending - I had no panic on my face, just looking at him straight in the eyes - one of the reasons why he didn't read me. Go figure!

Also, your initial mistake of not seeking out a closer air source is quite understandable for someone with such limited experience. It's quite a natural response until you've practiced the alternatives, as you pointed out.

Exactly my point - is it in the self-tought manual? - buddy breath? - yes, it is! Did I practice in the pool? Yes, I did. Was I aware of octopus be there for me? Yes, I was.
All cool and dandy, in a safe pool. Was I aware of "wet regulator"? Nope. Did I give it a thought whether it will happen to me with 0 experience? Nope.
I do wish for students to read those simple comments to know better.

Experience will teach you that bolting for the surface is a "last resort", since it's often quite risky in itself. Thankfully, you didn't hold your breath with a lung-full of air this time.

LOL I was hummimg all the time - with whatever air had left over; the unknown was - how much is left over? This skill I knew well - switching from reg to octo - I would always "hum" - keeps you in place

It's great to see you've got such a positive attitude! I think you'll become the kind of diver who calmly solves problems at depth after this experience.... nothing strengthens a lesson like fear and honest self-assessment! :)

I am very appreciative of my instructor - although he claimed a new formation of white hair on his head on me; when we went back to the cave to finish the dive, he told the shop owner I don't have to preview the cave intro video as I've already seen it, and than said: "She's the one that drawned 10 days ago and told the paramedics she has to finish her dive when they were taking her to the hospital." Really and truly I take no credit for that behaviour; it was very important for him to see me going back to my "point of failure", facing my own fear and anxiety and do it again, as sometimes your mind will release it but your body will not. So we came to terms with all of it. I think my biggest award and compliment was his joy to see me free of it; he would have never let me go if it was a breath of doubt. And yes - he said I'm a tough cookie lol

"As far as compensation, the fear of unreasonable lawsuit may have led the LDS to steer clear of any actions that might imply accepting fault. Perhaps their insurance company has advised as much, which would make perfect sense.

I'd be inclined to give the dive shop a break on this one.
'

Well - one last portion of the moral of the story is this - and it's in the nature of the beast I guess; that day, when I went for the check out dives, I haven't signed off the waiver, the one the shop has to provide to the student to keep them off liability. I think you understand.WOW!The following day I went into the shop and signed it - post factum. I can't be a mean person - I did feel bad for the instructor, I was mad at myself, and I didn't want to be a problem for anyone. Well - sure enough - after I signed the release form 24 hours after checking out of the hospital, they played like nothing has happened. I was asked to pay for the instructors' time to go to the check out dive on his day off, which I did, as well as the cave dive fee, which I did. Lack of compassion for a chain of mistakes on their side is really what hurts. Really. I don't get it.

Dry dives to you! And thank you again!

NewFloridaDiverLady:
"Now, as for the medical expenses, didn't your dive shop sign you up with a student membership with DAN?!?"

Nope! Sadly enough! 3 weeks later the bill is about 2300 :-( You know, I think the best outcome of this thread is to make everyone looking for sources more aware as well as more astute; I wll definitively bring this to the attention of owner of the diveshop - hopefully they will care more!
Dry dives and thank you!

I would have a serious talk with them about the 2300 and the cave.......

NewFloridaDiverLady:
By that time I had learned that I had experienced what was called a “wetregulator”.

No, by that time you experienced what is called an "idiotinstructor". Your instructor should be reported to whatever agency he/she instructs for. You should post their name here, the name of the shop, the name of their dog, what kind of car they drive. People should know to stay away from this person.

dave4868:
Your honest self-appraisal and excellent insight will make you an outstanding diver! I like dive buddies like that!

Newbie or not, I call BS on that! Personally, I stay a mile away from buddies who will allow themselves to get into dangerous situations. As a potential buddy, I rely on YOU to know your limits.

Honest self appraisal here would have started saying something like "I did something really stupid, I allowed myself to go on a "trust me" dive with an instructor."

Don't mean to be harsh, but you should have disagreed with the dive plan. Like Sparticle pointed out "any one can call the dive for any reason."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom