Dork Divers Manifesto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally Posted by 427Dave
My dive boat platform experience of tripping on my fins and doing the giant head first entry .. I had my fins on the wrong feet. I have now marked them left and right so this does not happen again

frank_delargy:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I was on a boat once and this diver who was using rented gear said to his buddy.
Geez, I have two fins marked 'L'.
I think they screwed up!

As if I needed more qualifications, I once made my giant stride off the boat with NO fins. But at least the DM checked to make sure my air was on before I went in!

:classic:

merxlin:
As if I needed more qualifications, I once made my giant stride off the boat with NO fins. But at least the DM checked to make sure my air was on before I went in!

LOL! I did that once, even did the "I'm wearing fins" shuffle from my seat to the entry point. Took me about 30 seconds to figure out why I was having trouble propelling myself through the water, I swear I "felt" my fins but when I looked I wasn't wearing them :doh:
Ber :lilbunny:

merxlin:

Were you wearing those high heels?.:D Sorry that was Ber :)
On my next trip I am going to wear my left Scubapro Jet
and my right Apollo bio-pro
and then wear them on the wrong foot to see what happens.:demented:

frank_delargy:
On my next trip I am going to wear my left Scubapro Jet
and my right Apollo bio-pro
and then wear them on the wrong foot to see what happens.:demented:
Can you get a video of yourself doing the fluttery-frog kick (flutter with the split fin leg, frog with the paddle fin leg). *That* would be a great DD addition to the "which is better" threads -- a *true* side-by-side comparison. :D

ClayJar:
Can you get a video of yourself doing the fluttery-frog kick (flutter with the split fin leg, frog with the paddle fin leg). *That* would be a great DD addition to the "which is better" threads -- a *true* side-by-side comparison. :D
I am not particularly adept at patting my head and rubbing my belly, so what you describe would be the ultimate dork diver desultory demonstration.
Maybe I can pull off a toad kick.
:drunks:

Thank you Dave for reminding us of why we do this. If drivers on the road today where half as serious as some of the folks on SB, we'd cut traffic fatalities in half. Just my way of saying thanks for reminding us that you can still dive without the "expert" label. It's like a marriage, when serious overwhelms fun, it's time to reconsider.

I'm a dork.

Hey, I dive with an Air-2... AND a standard octo!
(the octo to practice hand-offs to students, but it's usually removed for rec diving. Maybe I'll start leaving it on? And when diving with students, I am required by PADI to wear a snorkel. It's blue.)

And for rec diving, I often carry a pony or a spare-air. (I even own a "spare" spare air to loan to buddies.) And I own two pairs of blue split fins and love 'em.

If I go rec diving with my primary, Air-2, the standard octo, and both Spare Airs (slung cave style, of course) can I get into the hall of fame? What if I got a set of doubles bands made for the Spare Airs?

ClayJar:

Would'nt he just go in a circle!:rofl3:

Dave

Teamcasa:
Wouldn't he just go in a circle!:rofl3:
Could it be you've succumbed to thinking too two-dimensionally?

The obvious solution to the circling problem is simply to log-roll about your axis while kicking, which would average out any body-lateral deflections (i.e. in your yaw axis) caused by the asymmetric thrust, thereby morphing your circular path into a much less trivial barrel roll spiral along your intended vector. Of course, it has the added advantage of making any NDDs near you think that they're narced. :D

(To maintain proper buddy contact, I'd recommend the buddy log-roll while finning along the travel vector. The straight-line buddy would then be in constant visual contact with the spiral-path buddy, who would be effectively orbiting the straight-line buddy from the straight-line buddy's frame of reference as the two of them progress in their intended direction.)

((Do I move to another Dork Diver level by having considered all of this in detail?))

ClayJar:
Can you get a video of yourself doing the fluttery-frog kick (flutter with the split fin leg, frog with the paddle fin leg). *That* would be a great DD addition to the "which is better" threads -- a *true* side-by-side comparison.
Teamcasa:
Would'nt he just go in a circle!:rofl3:
Dave
Ah yes, but which way?? left or right? up or down?
Probably a corkscrew motion with a sinusoidal variance, spiraling spasmodically towards some unknown destination.
The fin with the most thrust would determine the outside of the circle (radius).
To properly see this in video, I need those bright dots to put on my suit, like they did in the Matrix.
To offset the green of the water, and be able to digitize them, they should be pink dots.

Would I look like a dork with bright pink dots on my drysuit?

Back
Top Bottom