lead toxicity...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all

Been following some of the threads regarding making your own weights, since i need some trim weights for the BP. Got to thinking about the lead shot/blocks we all carry, and was wondering if anyone knew about the environmental impact of all that lead. How much does it leach out of the bags to end up in the waters we dive? Is it treated so that it doesnt? or is the oxidation layer enough to seal it? Is there an effective alternative to using lead?

Just wondering, really. would hate to find somewhere down the line that i could be responsible for damaging a load of the life i dive to see through poisoning

When it comes to protecting the environment, you could use coated lead weights or coat your own weights. Your coating could be as simple as a rubberized "rugged "paint or a very hard 2-part epoxy. Coatings will last longer if you make your lead with a higher percentage of antimony. They'll be less malleable so dinging them around won't cause them to deform, which should discourage chipping.

I have a feeling that shot-based weights are the worst, because they have so much surface area. But the most dangerous forms of lead are other lead-containing comounds which are more bio-available than the pure metal.

For instance, the Tetra Ethyl-Lead that was added to gasoline in the past could be fatal if spilled on bare skin. Inhaled exhaust fumes containing TEL were very efficiently concentrated in the body. Incredibly, the average American's blood lead level dropped 78% between 1978 and 1991 due to TEL's phaseout.

NOTES IN CASE YOU DECIDE TO CAST YOUR OWN LEAD:
Inhaling lead fumes is very bad. (easily enters the blood stream)
Inhaling lead dust is very bad. (sits in the lungs being absorbed)
Ingesting lead or lead oxide is bad (some gets absorbed each time)
Handling lead is bad (wash before eating or touching eyes, and be careful not to cross-contaminate other items)

Suspect that the amount of dilution from the small number of divers and enormous amount of water in the oceans means its a non issue.

Sometimes the cure causes more problems than the original problem was to start with. I'm sure that the amount of lead that leaches from your weights isn't going to change the direction the planet is heading.

I have some 40+ year old 5# weights that have a lot of dives on them. I mean a lot of dives on them and guess what, they are still 5# weights. Even with all the dings, dents and smashed sections they haven't lost a measurable amount. So I don't think your killing the enviroment or reducing your gray matter by using them. :wink:

Gary D.

np251:
Hey all

Is there an effective alternative to using lead?

Tungsten is much denser, but much more expensive. I'd be thinking twice about dumping those. It would be nice to only need 1/2 the volume of weights, though.

Gold is denser than lead, not so dense as tungsten. Kinda pricey.:eek:

I wanted depleted uranium weights. Would only need 1 block instead of 2 lead then to sink:)

That's a good question I'd definitely like to know more on this too. I've always wondered because I noticed that the shot weights leave more "residue" inside my pockets.

All I know is that I wouldn't drink water with lead in it; so I always pick up weights I find on the bottom. I've picked up some hefty ones too. One time I just saw a buckle sticking out of the sand, when I dug it up there were 20lbs of hard weights on it.

I doubt that cold lead weights leach much, if at all. On the other hand I have some ankle weights which are filled with either lead power or shot which leach lead quite readily. I noticed that they were dripping a dark-colored liquid the last time I used them in the pool, working on my leg muscles. I was a little concerned about this and quit using them for fear that the solution might be entering my skin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom