How do you keep Jet Fins lasting so long?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jet Fins are pretty much indestructable. I totally wrecked a pair of TUSA light weight fins by wearing them at work going up and down pilings. My Jet Fins have never been cut, gouged or ripped. I doubt that you will be able to scuff them very badly. They are not made of very soft rubber and the rubber is high in carbon content which makes them very tough. Just rense off the salt and store out of the sun.

I wonder if armor all would help the OP, judging by a recent thread in the exposure suit forum...

Me, I could care less if my rubber fins have a matte vs. glossy finish. :D

muddiver:
Jet Fins are pretty much indestructable.
But not totally. I actually cracked a Jet Fin during a dive last year. It didn't crack all the way through, but I could feel something wasn't right.

My buddy tried to signal "your fin is cracked" but I didn't get what he meant, other than it wasn't working right, which I already knew.

After the dive we decided that it probably wasn't useful to come up with a new, unique hand signal for "broken fin".

RHungENT:
I have heard so much about the SP Jet Fins that I just had to get a pair with SS spring straps. I have read several posts where people have had there Jet Fins since the 1980s. I notice that the rubber scuffs real easily...so my question is...is there any special care or products that you use to keep the Jet Fins looking and working like new.
:D
Richard
Every night we haul them out of the truck and soak them in pool water for about an hour, while they're attached to the students feet.

Then we haul them out of the water and wrap them in bundles of 10 pair and throw them in the back of the truck, where they may be heated to way over 100F or cooled to close to 0F.

Every month or so, we haul them out to the lake for a nice freshwater and silt rinse, and a scraping with Zebra mussels.

The fins are probably close to 30 years old, so I guess our maintenance plan is working. :cool:

Working like new is easy.

Looking like new would require leaving them home. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
Every night we haul them out of the truck and soak them in pool water for about an hour, while they're attached to the students feet.

Then we haul them out of the water and wrap them in bundles of 10 pair and throw them in the back of the truck, where they may be heated to way over 100F or cooled to close to 0F.

Every month or so, we haul them out to the lake for a nice freshwater and silt rinse, and a scraping with Zebra mussels.

The fins are probably close to 30 years old, so I guess our maintenance plan is working. :cool:

Working like new is easy.

Looking like new would require leaving them home. :cool:

Terry
Hmmm... sounds very different from my "goat's blood" method :)

cmalinowski:
Hmmm... sounds very different from my "goat's blood" method :)

I'll have to try that, it would be much easier than unloading/reloading the truck.
04.gif

Terry

After the dives, I pee on mine. They seem to stay in good shape that way.
Maybe I'm full of preservatives.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom