Steel Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFishin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at a used steel tank that is made by Dolphin Cylinders Inc. I've never heard of this company. Anyone out there ever heard of them? Are they manufactured by one of the bigger companies and relabeled or something?

The markings are as follows: DOT-3AA- 2400 IA561216P 81 5 96+

It is 8" diameter and 24" tall without valve. I am thinking it's around a 108 cuft at 2640 PSI. Does this sound right? Anyone know the actual capacity of this cylinder?

Thanks

if i am reading the info correctly, this tank was manufactured or last hydroed in 1996 and is rated at 2400+, or 2640

i can't tell what the volume is from that info

it should have been re-hydroed in 2001

do you see any additional hydro marks?

USFishin:
I am looking at a used steel tank that is made by Dolphin Cylinders Inc. I've never heard of this company. Anyone out there ever heard of them? Are they manufactured by one of the bigger companies and relabeled or something?

It is 8" diameter and 24" tall without valve. I am thinking it's around a 108 cuft at 2640 PSI. Does this sound right? Anyone know the actual capacity of this cylinder?

Thanks
I think it's a 95. I have two of them, mine are scary with rust, I don't use them and I'm pretty sure no one would fill them anyway.

Are the ones you have called Dolphin Cylinder Inc? Also, by it being 95...is that before or after the +10%? I've just never heard of them.

USFishin:
Are the ones you have called Dolphin Cylinder Inc? Also, by it being 95...is that before or after the +10%? I've just never heard of them.
all lp tank volumes are based on the + rated pressure, which is only technically good until the end of the manufacturer's hydro. Your tank was manufactured in May of 96 and is six years past the point where + fills are allowed. Furthermore, it probably needs to be hydro'd before it can be filled to any pressure, as well as inspected visually, which is the point that I would be concerned with. I personally wouldn't buy a tank, especially the tank that you're looking at without being able to see inside it first. What I would do is tell the guy that you want to take a peek at the inside first, and drop a few christmas tree lights inside and look for rust. If there's no rust, I would feel safe about buying it, but would expect to pay an additional 50 bucks or so before I could use it. If it were a PST, or Worthington tank I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

Scubakevdm:
all lp tank volumes are based on the + rated pressure

yah...

a 2400+ LP95 only holds 95cf at 2460

(true volume is probalby closer to 93 or 94 cf)

Yeah you're right. After looking at some charts it looks like it's somewhere between a 94 and 98 (based on manufacturer).

USFishin:

Thanks

Made by Coyne.
count the threads in cylinder-there were issues

i have the same one you're talking about it. It's a coyne and mine is galvanized. its a great tank. I haven't been able to find the buoyancy characteristics on it though, but I'd guess 6~8 lbs negative when full. I like it. A bit heavy, but holds gobs of gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom