Newbie gear questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recommend OxyCheq signature series wings, and Hammerhead backplates for a good combination of very high quality and comparatively low price. Check out www.scubatoys.com... they have great prices and customer service, and last I knew there was a discount for scubaboard members.

Hi Shaun,
Welcome to the board and good luck getting certified :)
I agree with hokie-diver - don't purchase gear till after you get certified.
That said, the setup you mentioned is great for tropical rec diving (I started with Oceanic gear), but if you're doing deep and tech, then BP and wings (or back-inflated BCDs) are probably better for you. But do try it on first, or better still, rent similar ones, before you spend your money.
I see you're in Tasmania, do check on how much customs duties/tax you'll have to pay if you mail order from the US (or elsewhere). Another thing to take into consideration is whether parts are available when you get your regs serviced annually - so purchasing brands that your local scuba shops carry (even if you don't buy from them) is a good idea.
Good luck.

O.k so I've done a bit of looking and come up with the following plan. Do my OW cert with PADI or SSI while renting the gear. My gear will be mostly oceanic due to the fact that there is a certified dealer down here and I can finance their products as a package. How does this sound for a beginner setup?

Paragon elite merino semidry suit
Diverite express venture wing and deluxe harness
Diverite SS backplate or pacific coast marine one listed above (I'll stick with a single tank config for the time being and upgrade to twins once I've got some experience under my belt if necessary)
or perhaps the transpack package on scubatoys.com?
Alpha 8 reg and occy
Aluminium 80 tank
Geo wrist computer (or maybe VT3 if funds permit)
oceanic boots, split fins, gloves etc

When I bought my backplate I got the "deluxe" harness; don't bother. Just get the standard "Hogarthian" style. Your mileage may vary but it's what I ended up switching to. The chest strap is really unnecessary and the swivel from the extra rings in the shoulder straps just bothered me.

And the price of the "Freedom plate" is pretty out there. I'm sure it's a great product, but wow.

Just what works for me...

I'd stay away from the split fins, just get a decent paddle style fin. OMW Slipstreams seem great. Not wanting to start a fin war, but splits are totally bogus.:popcorn:

Kraken Forge makes a killer BP, but I'm not sure if there's a dealer near you :wink:

Why all that gear then the lowest end regulator your can buy? the alpha 8 is a pretty cheesy reg IMNSHO. OK for a rec octo. Get something decent that is designed for cold water, or plan on replacing it. of all the things to skimp on, the reg isnt it.

good call on the wrist comp, with I hadn't bothered with air integrated "Brick" now.

stay away from the octo inflator. the argument for having one less hose is pretty weak. the octo inflators are big, bulky, hang down, are not comfortable to use as an octo, and are difficult to use as an octo while doing ascents. I've been working with my daughter doing her OW and its a pain! also, had one fail on me recently at depth (not mine). was working with some aow candidates doing rescues and one imploded leaving the student with no otco or inflator - luckily only at 35'. I have an SS1 for sale barely used :)

My #1 recommendation is to get certified and decide if you're really going to love diving enough to buy your own gear before you buy all your own gear.It is, after all, quite expensive and if you find you really just liked the idea of scuba diving (as opposed to loving the diving), that would really bite. But, you'd have a bunch of folks here on SB eager to buy your barely used equipment at close-out prices!

And I'd compare the prices online to your LDS. IMO it's better to buy from the guy standing in front of you than to buy from the stranger on the other end of the keyboard. Unless your LDS charges ridiculously high prices.

trucker girl has the right idea! I have a couple of GT3 2nd stages I just picked up for octo use, haven't breathed them yet but the construction at least seems a bit more solid than the A8. I love my Atomic but that's me.

GolemGear makes a solid wing. And sometimes they drop the price on their BP and wing combination. The combination includes your choice of SS or AL backplate, a 35# wing (lifetime guarantee and tough as nails), Hog harness, and two steel-clamp tank straps. Jakub is great to deal with as well; he often posts here on SB. I already had a Hog harness (made from parts) and a SS HammerHead BP. So I ordered the GolemGear Aluminum combo. Now I've got a cold water rig (SS backplate and SS STA is 10 pounds off the weight belt) and a warm water rig (AL BP, no STA). I use the same wing on both rigs.

It's easy to rig your own harness. Harness rigging and harness rigging

Back
Top Bottom