JB King worth seeing at recreational depths?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I read that the JB King wreck goes from 45ft down to 150ft. Is there much worth seeing there if you stay above 110' or 100ft?

The most of the wreckage on the King is between 120 and 140 ft with some going to as deep as 160ft. There is not really very much to see above that except the very tip of the wreckage and a sheer wall.

There is quite a strong current as well and I don't think it would be fun if you don't have wreckage to hide behind.

Even though this wreck is shallower than the Jodrey because of the darkness and the state of the wreck and last but not least the strong current mix is highly recommended. This wreck is one that it's easy to build up CO2 on.

Mat.

I will disagree with these guys. There is plenty to see at the JB King at recreational depths.

The tip of the main wreckage starts at 90 feet and goes down the wall to 155 feet. So you can easily explore 1/2 of this piece within the 130 foot limit. However some of the more interesting features are deeper than 130 (like the upside down motorized launch).

Sometimes there is a rope leading off into the down stream area at about 110 feet. This takes you to a second section that is entiely withing the sport diving depth range. There is what appears to be a crane base on a wheel here and other wreakage. Also note that there is usually a back eddy at 130 to 135 feet (right up against the wall) that will permit you to drift back to the first section.

There is also a third section even further down stream also within the sport diving depth range.

As mentioned the current is very strong at this dive site but there are plenty of places to hide. Its also very dark so bring a strong light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom