What dives to request in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csaba

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
... I am a bit dislexic it's Key Largo not Key Alrgo!

We are newly certified and going down to Key Largo to get some practive dives.
What nice shallow dives should we request from the captain, or should we just go tell the captain "we are new and want to practice" and leave the rest to him?

What are your favorite shallow dives in Key Largo?

Thanks ... this trip is even fun to plan :D

My girlfriend and myself dove there last year in May. We dove with Garden Cove outfit and our Captain's name was Skyler. He did an awesome job briefing us on what to expect and we dove the Elbow Reef and the Washington Wreck. They only require 2 divers to go out and have a max. of 6 on the boat. This was great for us because I had heard such horror stories of the cattle boats out there. Both sites were in around 45 footish of water , the water temps were 78 deg, and we wore just 3 mm shorties and were fine. (Good thing all this was in my log book, made a good reference didn't it :) ) Saw our first sharks and stingrays up close. I cannot say enough for the outfit our the captain. Hope this helps a little bit. Have fun it was a blast :)

First off Molasses Reef is a great starting point. From there have fun.

Dive Operators--HMS Minnow--Capt. Jeff Jarvis will get you out on the reefs before anyone else. We were on French Reef at 8:15 am. Most boats don't leave until 9:00 am. Pleasure Divers is another great (and I stress great) private dive operator. The operate a 40 foot boat and maintain it as a six pack. If you are looking for a larger diver operator (and I am not sure why) try out Horizon Divers.

If you are looking for places to stay contact speargirl. She is a real estate agent in the the Key Largo area and a fellow diver (support our own). She has 2 bedroom condos at Kawama Yacht Club for $125 a night. This is a gated area with a large lagoon stocked with fish and a beach where you can snorkel and swim.

I do stress that using a six pack is worth the experience. If you are concerned about safety you can always hire a divemaster for $60 a day.:coffee:

When are you planning on going?

I wouldnt recommend molasses reef as a practice reef. There is often a current and it is one of the more difficult reefs to navigate due to its size.

Grecian Rocks is nice and shallow with a straight up and down reef line to follow. Banana is also another good one, as is North North Dry Rocks. More coral profile, but you can count the 'fingers' as you go up and down them.

Maybe think about hiring a guide, or if not - follow the mooring ball line down to the sand and get a bearing / feel for which way you are going before you head off.

The good news is that practically all the reefs are very shallow and comparitively easy to dive. Have fun!

Have a great week. Too bad not the second week as it is the INVASION!!
Also, try out Christ of the Abyss, and the City of Washington and Benwood for wrecks.

Benwood is a nice dive. A real "wreck" shallow and colourful.

The rest of key largo i found very samey. Shallow over some fairly badly damaged coral and got repetitive.

Duane and Spiegal Grove probably the best fake wrecks there to dive.

Second the Benwood. City of washington was a disappointment for me but the conditions were not great anyway that day. Understand they do a shark feeding on it one day(friday?) but I was on the grove that day. Christ of the abyss in a nice easy dive just don't hug it. It's covered in fire coral. Also unless you are going out by yourselves and chartering the boat you may not be able to pick the spot. Most ops are captains choice as to site or if a group shows up they may get some say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom