Question about Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of jets and twin jets. I guess the sell point for me was they have been around since moses split the sea :) and if they have stood the test of time like that, I guess they are good enough for this scuba noobie :crafty: . Plus price is pretty good on them. Got mine for under 50 on E-Bay :popcorn:

Ever tried swimming backwards in split fins?

Jet Fins are great for Frog Kicking.They are heavy which can be a great help for floaty feet (especially in dry suits) and they have a reverse gear.

If you want to Flutter Kick fast in a straight line they are probably not the fins to use

Jets are as good as many fins out there in a straight out flutter kick. There are a many which do it better however.
The Jets are the best for fog kicks among the the 3 fins I use. And they have a reverse gear as they say which I have not mastered. They are heavy and somewhat negative on your feet.
The word I use for them is "precise". Great control with little movement of your legs.

ya, but unless you plan on going full out on ocean currents, then what is the point of getting jets over splits if you loose air and energy more quickly.

I am probably the exception here, but for casual drift diving, I prefer jets. They trim me out nicely in my winter kit and are actually fun to use for little maneuvers when playing superman. And you look really cool
I am one who finds split fins more effective when swimming AGAINST currents or if I need to cover alot of bottom without the help of the Atlantic Gulfstream. Split fins don't look cool.
I don't do penetrations, but I would imagine Jetfins would excel considering their superior effectiveness with alternate kicks.

I got a chance to try out some Jets today for the first time on a real dive. I must say, I really liked them. I was planning on getting some anyway, but now I'm sold completely. I borrowed a pair of XLs, which I had to cram on over my size 12 rockboots, but they worked okay. They have noticeably more effectiveness when frog kicking compared to my Blades 2. I even somehow managed a bit of a back kick, despite having only seen it done in videos. I moved back maybe 2 feet! :wink: I will have a set of my own, with spring straps, before I get my new DUI with turbo soles next month.

Lampostman:
ya, but unless you plan on going full out on ocean currents, then what is the point of getting jets over splits if you loose air and energy more quickly.
Think of Jets as a new Ferrari and most other fins, especially splits, as some old jalopy from the 1960s.

The 1960s cars--hard to turn, slow, handles like a sherman tank...sloppy
New Ferrari--razor sharp control over exactly what you want to do

Make sense? :)

SparticleBrane:
Think of Jets as a new Ferrari and most other fins, especially splits, as some old jalopy from the 1960s.

The 1960s cars--hard to turn, slow, handles like a sherman tank...sloppy
New Ferrari--razor sharp control over exactly what you want to do

Make sense? :)

I'll give you that. Splits although developed in the 90's, could be equated to the old American muscle cars which went really fast in a straight line.
Jets, although developed in the 60's are more nimble and "hold the road" like a European sports car, and are fast enough.

I dove jets for my open water cert back in 2001(?) and my ankles killed so I tried twin jets for the next dive and was sold. Maybe it was poor fit or poor technique but at the time I didn't like them at all but that was several years ago and I wouldn't say no to trying them out again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom