Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first question a buyer should ask himself is do I want to purchase this equipment without a valid manufacturer's warranty.

asking self..."uh, yea"

Most warranties suck. Time=money or at least dives lost. I want another one! Pronto! Overnight it LP...you rock, must be life in the big city. LP can sort it out with whoever they got it from, not my problem. That's what works for me, fast, efficient, forget it.

catherine96821:
asking self..."uh, yea"

Most warranties suck. Time=money or at least dives lost. I want another one! Pronto! Overnight it LP...you rock, must be life in the big city. LP can sort it out with whoever they got it from, not my problem. That's what works for me, fast, efficient, forget it.
That's why I like my LDS. I don't have to wait for them to overnight it.
Loaner or replacement the same day.:eyebrow:

Better yet, carry spares - regs, computer, mask, o-rings - whatever you can't fix or live without. Works regardless of whether your LDS is good or bad, open or closed, down the block or 1000 miles away.:14:

you know what gets me about this grey market crap. if a company produces a product then why wont they stand behind it no matter where you get it from? makes absolutely no sence to me. as a consumer i try to buy my produces the cheapest way i can afterall its my money not anyone elses so why should i be told where to buy? if i go to a dive store and they bad mouth another dive store or online source for gear then i just refuse to give them my time or money. you shop for the best prices and the best service, not for the he said she said bad mouthing.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
The Authorized Dealer's customer will always win in the long run because the Authorized Dealer plays by the rules of the end game.

I went that route. The manufacturer uses the dealer as the repair center for warranty issues. The local dive shop I bought things from was not capable of making simple fixes on an octo or BC. No skill or motivation. Then they went out of business.

I had a problem with a computer. Leisure Pro sent me a brand new item off the shelf in exchange for my old one. I never missed a dive.

I don't consider this a game. I got tired of dealers playing games. This is my money and equipment. Leisure Pro is one of several dive merchants I trust.

awap:
Better yet, carry spares - regs, computer, mask, o-rings - whatever you can't fix or live without. Works regardless of whether your LDS is good or bad, open or closed, down the block or 1000 miles away.:14:
Absolutely. W.W.B.D. is my philosophy. (What would Batman do?)

Splitlip:
I doubt that. I believe it is you who are wrong my friend. LP is NOT an authorized dealer. If an authorized dealer discounts more than 10% on Scubapro they will loose their dealership. Perhaps you are dealing with unauthorized dealers (no lifetime warranty and no parts for life). Or perhaps discontinued items. If something is no longer in the catalogue, the dealer can move.
Otherwise, PM me with the name of your SP dealer. I prepared to drop a grand for my kid in the next couple of weeks. I will gladly admit I am wrong.

I'm just telling you how most retail business works, when a MAP is involved. You don't have to believe me, you can continue to believe what the LDS tells you if you wish.

I cannot supply you with a LDS that will do like I said, there is only 1 DS near me and I don't do business with them.

I worked in retail for awhile and talked with alot of different types of manufacturers in that time and MAP works the same way with all of them so far... Only problem is if you get questioned about selling something below MAP, how do you explain it? If you have a super anal manufacturer w/o some kind of paperwork I guess it could backfire on the retailer.

D_B:
I believe that a well known dealer here just made the same comment that Frank is alluding to ... that they can't advertise a price, but that does not mean that you can't talk to him and get it for lower

I remember seeing that also, I just cannot remember what thread it was in... maybe this one, I'll look back and see! I'm just trying to educate, not trying to agitate. :D

frankc420:
There MAY be manufacturers out there that say, MAP is the BOTTOM LINE, you CANNOT sell below it. But for the most part, MAP is exactly what the name says, Minimum Advertised Price. Meaning, they cannot put it on the shelf or online with price lower than XX.XX.

If I want a SP reg setup and LP has it for $350 and I go to a DS and say, LP has it for $350, can you give it to me for $275? They can look it up and judge for themselves whether they want to match it. $275 may be really close or below their cost, but that's where a counteroffer comes in, "I can't sell it for $275, there is no profit in it for me at that cost, but I can (a: offer you 10% off the $350 LP is selling it for, b: match it).

Frank

The problem is that with Scubapro and Aqualung (Apeks) (and maybe others) MAP in fact means Minimum ALLOWED Price. They say they are protecting the value of their gear. And that minimum allowed retail price (exceptions allowed for key personnel) is 10% off MSRP. Dealers who violate the agreement are subject to lose their supply of merchandise. (If the agreement were legally binding, the mfgr should be able to sue the dealer!) So the $600 MSRP Scubapro regulator the Leisurepro sells for $425 can't be directly price matched by an authorized dealer without risking the loss of the dealereship. Best he can do, by the dealer agreement, is $540. Of course, he has quite a number of means at his disposal to sweeten the deal, compete with Leisurepro, make the sale and keep the customer. Unfortunately, some LDS's (and online retailers) would rather try to scare you away from LP than prove they are the better choice. In fact, the authorized dealer who is reasonably price competetive and provides top notch service is almost always the better choice for most divers. That is probably why, more and more, Leisurepro is becoming an authorized dealer for much of its merechandise. Right MDB?

frankc420:
I remember seeing that also, I just cannot remember what thread it was in... maybe this one, I'll look back and see! I'm just trying to educate, not trying to agitate. :D

That was Scubatoys. But they don't do Scubapro or Aqualung, probably for just that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom