Will my equipment work with Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Watkins

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am considering taking a Nitrox course. I bought my regulators in 1995, they are Posiedon Odin (Jetstream) regs. Back in 1995 they were considered some of the best regs around, and I know a bunch of tech divers still swear by them.

Back in 1995 Nitrox was around, but I never took a course on it.

Anyway... In reading my owner's manual, it states: "Warning: Poseidon regulators are designed an intended for use only with clean, compressed atmospheric air = (21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen by volume). NO NOT use the regulators with any other gas or enriched oxygen mixture above 21% oxygen. Failure to adhere to this warning may result in serious injury or death due to fire and explosion, or the serious deterioration or failure of the regulator."

Does this mean my regs are not compatible with Nitrox or is that a "cover your ***" statement in the instructions because Nitrox was somewhat newer to recreational diving at the time?

If you read Scubatoy's website for the reg here: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...=OdinJetstream It says "The Jetstream, as all Poseidon regulators, comes Nitrox ready". Has something changed with them? I was under the impression that my regulators are the same as the ones available today.

I have four basic questions. Can someone answer me:

1. Can my regs be used with Nitrox?
2. If I use them with Nitrox can I still use them with air?
3. When something is "cleaned" for nitrox or O2, what exactly does that mean? How is something cleaned and what is it cleaned with?
4. I know if you put Nitrox in a tank, I am supposed to only use those tanks with Nitrox correct?

Nitrox compatible and O2 compatible are two different things.

To answer your question, specifically, yes, they will work with nitrox, but it's not good practice.

Simply stated, if your regs are ready for their annual service, just ask the dive shop to set them up for Nitrox capability. Pretty much, it just involves replacing the existing o-rings with Viton o-rings and lubing the parts that require lubrication with an O2 compatible lubricant.

It won't break the bank by any stretch.

This is a little simply stated, but that's pretty much the scenario.

the K

Call or email the manufacturer with any concerns. They may be better able to answer in detail the questions about your specific regulator.

Take the course, and ask the same questions.

If I recall, 1995 was kind of an iffy year with the different partial gases. Many scuba manufacturers were probably hearing the same stories about Nitrox being "deadly", and may have just smacked "NO mixes about 21/79" to keep liability claims against their equipment down.

Scubaboard is acting funny

Back
Top Bottom