Mi Casa en Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebag

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone stayed at this place? I would like to hear from some scubaboarders regarding any experience with this place. I'm considering staying there, but haven't heard much about it. It seems pretty cool and is close to Christi's dive shop.

http://www.micasaencozumel.com/phpwcms/index.php?home

When are you going?
Nate and I are staying there last week of June. We "have" to come home July 4th boo hoo....so I promise I will post a review and pictures of it when we return. :)
So far our experience is that Memo, the guy who owns/runs it seems very nice and answers back via e-mail very timely....Booked online and was able to prepay for our stay through paypal to get 10% off.

PHOTOS ARE LOCATED HERE:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2090125236&idx=0

WRITE UP:

Mi Casa en Cozumel was picture perfect! We enjoyed our stay there immensely. To get it out of the way first I will post 3 minor details that could have been better and then I will tell how wonderful it was so the wonderful things are the image you are left with.

1.) The shower head was up very very high and not adjustable. I have long hair so it was hard to rinse it well. Thus I took much longer showers than normal. (Since originaly writing this I found out the shower head is adjustable for the steam of water coming out)

2.) Memo the owner was not there for the first 3 days. The maids were unable to give us a second key which is totaly understandable. Nate went diving and not knowing how long he would be out I let him keep the key so he could get back in and clean up when he was finished…. I would go out and do my own thing and basically have to stay out until he returned. Next time I will just simply request 2 keys to be available when we arrive and save that hassle.

3.) Breakfast is only so so. We got little Pan Dulce (several varieties of bread) coffee and Juice (the fresh musk melon juice was fantastic). Most days we just went out for breakfast as there is a multitude of places to eat nearby. Memo is considering making more things available for variety. Again if we desire something else within reason I will just request it ahead of time and see if they can accommodate it. If not its no problem.

And now for the glowing report.

The website is beautiful and thoughtfully put together. I can tell you the pictures and descriptions are 100% accurate.
http://www.micasaencozumel.com/phpwcms/index.php?home

We were able to book online and pay with paypal which allowed us a 10% discount. And since the 12% sales tax is not included in the price I look at this like we only had to pay 2% sales tax. That is a great deal! Memo the owner was very attentive to answering questions I had via e-mail.

Upon arrival the maids were there to let us in. They cheerfully helped carry up our bags and gave us the key to both our room and the entrance door.

Our room was beautiful. We stayed in the Naranja room on the 3rd floor. The flooring, bedspread, hammock, countertops and some decorations were Orange to coordinate with the name of the room.

The mixture of new stainless steel fixtures, old natural wood, stone and shells, the wood beams across the ceiling the little high tech lights, the fabrics….. all worked together in harmony to let us know that we were staying in a very chic place that was blending nature with all the comforts and amenities that we needed. Having a refrigerator in the room was a huge plus and the TV had a nice assortment of Spanish and English stations. The Naranja room has AC.

Our balcony had a table, 2 chairs and a hammock. The king size bed was one of the softest and most comfortable I have ever slept in during my travels in Mexico. Fresh sheets and towels were provided every day and our room was spotless. Maybe that is a bad thing though because we slept more on this trip than any previous. LOL - I hate wasting vacation time sleeping.

The lobby, stairs, common areas and cool water whirlpool hot tub areas were just fantastic. Great paintings on the wall and tropical plants set about everywhere in unique pots and containers. Huge palm trees from below coming up through the floor. The whole place was just completely easy on the eyes. The clean lines, the curved walls and spiral staircases leading the eye gracefully about the building.

There is a computer that is available in the common area downstairs. But this area is not always open..... But there is wireless internet availiable in the seating areas around the bridge if you bring your laptop. We never used it though. We wanted to loose contact with the real world for awhile.

On Sunday we were able to view the penthouse suite (Zapotie) and the adjacent room (Mora). The people that were staying there were leaving for home and invited us to check it out. It was awesome. The pictures can tell the story. But here are a few highlights of that. Full kitchenette with just about everything you could need. Full size refrigerator, a stove, and a microwave. Multiple outdoor patio areas with a plunge pool right at the edge. Awesome views of San Miguel and the Ocean. Leather furniture, TV, CD player/Stereo, Washer and Dryer and decorated even more lovely than I can describe with words. The bedrooms had windows/doors on both sides for a great cross breeze.

The location was great. It was a very quite neighbor hood and it was easy to walk too just about everything.

All in all Mi Casa en Cozumel gets a 9.5 out of 10 from me. The few issues we had were nothing really. We will stay there again for sure in our future travels. I would recommend this hotel to people who are more of an independent travelers. If you want to be catered to and have someone at your beck and call all the time like at an all-inclusive this is probably not your place. But if you like exploring a bit and getting out on your own there really is no better, beautiful, comfortable place for you to home base from.

Just a small note: The maids do not speak English and we speak very little Spanish. We used our mini translation travel book. I would look for and then practice what I needed to say….and would take it with me when I went to talk to them or inquire about something. It worked out well and we all got by with smiles, gestures, the book and some very bad Spanish. I do not say this as a bad thing. I do not expect them to know our language in their country. I only wanted to put this information down so that if someone was to stay there and the owner was not around that they can be prepared to give their Spanish a whirl. It was not an inconvenience at all – to us it was just a great learning experience

*** Also I posted this review on a couple other sites and since then I have been e-mailing Memo (the owner) and he was very responsive to some of the minor issues we had. Sounds like once high season starts they will be offering more choices for breakfast and he will try to make sure there is someone fluent in English around at least once a day if he is not there.

Again, these very minor things were not a big deal to us at all and I only included them so it would be an honest review from all aspects.

His willingness to make his business better based on our observations says a lot. Go stay there. You wont regret it!

We can't wait to go back in November!!!

P.S.
Divebag it was very nice to meet you and thanks for letting us look around the penthouse!
Christi, if you are reading this it was very nice to have met you also! :)

Thanks for the pictures ! How far of a walk is Mi Casa from Christi's shop?

Nevis Diver:
Thanks for the pictures ! How far of a walk is Mi Casa from Christi's shop?

1 1/4 blocks north and 1/2 block west. Piece of Cake!

Where is the closest peir for a dive boat pickup?

Did you say there was internet access? Is there any in the room, wired or wireless? I am thinking of staying in the Jr. Suite. Looks great, and is way less than Casa Mexicana...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom