Munson Shore Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So is there any current at all near the Munson? I know it's Lake Ontario, but there is some current at the Kingston Belly Dumper shore dive so maybe there is there too?

I'm planning a recreational Munson shore dive Saturday and trying to take all the factors into account. Thanks for the information.

I'm sure current is something that you can't really say for sure beforehand, as conditions can change from day to day. Last time I was on the Munson (probably about a month ago?) there wasn't any, but you never know. I was on the Sligo last weekend in Toronto Harbour and I think that was the rippingest (is that even a word?) surface current I've ever been in at that mooring. Not quite the same as the river, mind you, but by far the strongest I've seen there.

How far out is the munson? Isn't it only a 1500 foot swim? Hardly hard core. Its not like he is doing this under the ice, THAT would be alot more dangerous.

Cam

cameron:
How far out is the munson? Isn't it only a 1500 foot swim? Hardly hard core.

Cam
Ah, I forgot, this is a balls of steel issue. I keep forgetting we're supposed to be diving like that, doing it the toughest way possible for no reason.

Not having done this dive as a shore dive myself, I am merely going by the many teams that have done it as a scooter dive and have made suggestions on what it would take to do it by 'fin'. I am a little unsure how close he will be able to get before entering the water.

But I am no Navy seal either. :crafty: lol.

Maybe the guys that have scootered it will come around and give us mere mortals an overview again, I seem to have forgotten the details.

Well, it is not about balls of steel or doing it the hardest way, it is a mater of a guy asking a question about the munson and then the usual suspects jumping in to tell him that he is dangerous becasue he isn't doing it there way. And a usual suspect who has never done the dive, priceless, :rofl3:

Maybe we should all just give up learning things for ourselves and just do what we are told....

So he starts out swimming to the munson finds out he can't make it and turns back. Whats the big deal? If it really is a scooter only dive then he will find that out for himself and adjust his plan, THAT is what diving is for alot of us, finding our own way.

Didn't you guys also say the KBD was a scooter only dive?:shakehead

Steve's right that no one should do deco dives solo. It's not safe.

He's wrong though, in assuming that this is a deco dive. This is a Munson shore dive with recreational gasses and recreational depths and times. He hasn't even tried this dive. He also thinks I'm trained by TDI to do deco dives, but I'm not. I haven't even met him, it's kind of strange! :confused:

1500 feet is the closest point to shore from the wreck. If you've seen the shore line there, its a nice high cliff all around. The closest public access is 4500 feet east along the shore, making the scooter run about 5500 feet each way. So lets just say we're going to be able to get in at the closest point. We've got 1500 feet each way to go, to a wreck that has no line to it, at a depth of about 105'. Can we really do this recreationally? We're not even taking in factors such as cold which is always present, or current which varies greatly both in strength and direction, or the logistics of even getting the gear to the entry.

DeepBound:
Steve's right that no one should do deco dives solo. It's not safe.

He's wrong though, in assuming that this is a deco dive. This is a Munson shore dive with recreational gasses and recreational depths and times. He hasn't even tried this dive. He also thinks I'm trained by TDI to do deco dives, but I'm not. I haven't even met him, it's kind of strange! :confused:
Musta been told wrong on a couple counts there Neil, apologies.

Sometimes people have a reputation, and you dont need to have met them in person :no Occassionally the reps are even correct!

Either way I'm pumpin' to get you back to OD if you want to. Like I said, I miss you around there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom