LED vs HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it has to do with the relative frequencies; but none of the LEDs that I have used penetrate any kind of obscuration as well as a HID, or for that matter most Xenons.

I own and use LED lights for a wide variety of purposes. But, I've never been able to obtain satisfactory performance from any LED where there is anything that will reflect light back to me. On the other hand HID, or even Xenon, lights penetrate just fine.

So, my rig is a HID primary, #1 backup Xenon, #2 backup LED. Or, if I'm traveling to a warm and clear water destination where the HID is overkill I just take the two backups.

If anyone knows of a LED that will penetrate as well as a HID under the same circumstances please let me know.

thats kind of what i am asking is would it be reasonable to use a 10w hand held LED for a primary? 1 to eliminate the canister and 2 you would no longer have a cord witch would be great for side mounting also the bulb life in 10x greater

sorry posted under my friends accout that is from me ^^

TennInstr:
thats kind of what i am asking is would it be reasonable to use a 10w hand held LED for a primary? 1 to eliminate the canister and 2 you would no longer have a cord witch would be great for side mounting also the bulb life in 10x greater

Of the DRs:
The LED version would be kinda weak near any 18 and 21W HIDs of your buddies.

The 10W HID handheld might be ok with the 2700mAh rechargables, but the other battery options don't have enough burn time IMO. I like minimum 1.5x the duration of my gas.

I don't consider the cord on my DR 10W slimline to be a problem, YMMV

TennInstr:

We may be approaching the question from two different perspectives.

My main concern is whether the light will do the job. Secondarily, how convenient and inexpensive it is. In a nutshell: Effectiveness First; Efficiency Second; Convenience Last.

Lots of posts really look more like Light Envy/Keeping Up With Your Buddies than anythng else. Or, they look like thinly disguised ads for a particular brand. I'm not in either camp.

If someone can show me a LED dive light that will penetrate and illuminate as well as an HID dive light it will go to the top of my buy list. So far no one has.

Say Mods:

Wouldn't this thread be more useful in the "Lights" section?

ArcticDiver:
Say Mods:

Wouldn't this thread be more useful in the "Lights" section?
That would be up to the OP in this instance. Should he ask it to be moved, we would gladly oblige.

I was playing around with one of the hand held DiveRite LED's and I found it interesting that it's drilled for a goodman handle. At least the ones I saw were anyway. If your cave diving I'd use the 10W HID, but if your only doing cavern, save the yourself $300.00 and get the 10W LED with a goodman handle.

My .02

300bar diver:
new_products_1b.jpg

going to try this one next sunday
3 W LED
10 degree angle
It's alot of light for a good price(better price then heser or salvo)
more info at,
http://www.aquatecusa.com/whats_new.html

Have a 10W HID as primairy

Ok. used it in a daytime dive and I was amazed by the light.Nice very strong and narrow beam,viz was poor but the light came throug,I love this one.
I normaly dive a 10W HID but this small light gave a good show.
Next wendsday and friday gone use it for a night dive.Lets hope someone will bring a camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom