Deep dive hesitancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True comment...CHECK YOUR GUAGES OFTEN...and relax. Stay close to the instructor and your buddy.

TheRedHead:
You're less impaired than the AOW student.

Very perceptive.
Not to diminish the dangers of 300 feet, of course.

Danger (risk) is relative. Whenever I dive, regardless of depth, my intention is to stack the deck in my favor. Some people might think it's cool to die doing what you love but I think it's an idiotic concept. How do you do stack the deck? By understanding the risks and having the skills, experience and equipment to manage them.

Now lets look at some OW divers going on to AOW. Do they understand the risks, have the skills, experience and equipment or is their plan to just hang close to an instructor who may not have the skills experience and equipment?

I think it's often the later and some discomfort with the situation is MORE than justified.

DiverBizz:
True comment...CHECK YOUR GUAGES OFTEN...and relax.

Why?...

Thanks for the tips everyone. It's definitely a low level of anxiety - and I'll keep an eye on how I feel beforehand, and if it doesn't feel right, I just won't do it. The instructor at the LDS is very very good (well, we think so at least), so I trust him.

mhedstrom:
Thanks for the tips everyone. It's definitely a low level of anxiety - and I'll keep an eye on how I feel beforehand, and if it doesn't feel right, I just won't do it. The instructor at the LDS is very very good (well, we think so at least), so I trust him.

You just gave yourself the best answer of them all -- if it doesn't feel right, DON'T DO IT! Don't ever be ashamed to abort a dive, even before you hit the water. The bottom line is for you to be comfortable with the dive -- before, during and after. :)

ScubaTexan:
You just gave yourself the best answer of them all -- if it doesn't feel right, DON'T DO IT! Don't ever be ashamed to abort a dive, even before you hit the water. The bottom line is for you to be comfortable with the dive -- before, during and after. :)

Ditto!!

mhedstrom:

Well...bad feelings are a fine reason to cancel a dive but "good feeling" can be deceiving unless they're based on something objective.

MikeFerrara:
The way narcosis "feels" is the least of our worries but to answer your question, assuming O2 to be narcotic, just a bit shy of 70 ft.

lol.

Now that's not what she meant....lol, but your answer was funny.

I was a little nervous before my AOW deep dive. I compensated for this by swimming headlong down the anchorline, equalizing ears and mask pretty much constantly on the way and finally bouncing hard off the bottom at 80' because I'd gotten so negative. Afterward my instructor said, "maybe we could just descend slowly next time, and add air now and then to your BC?" with a kind of reproachful eyebrow action. I got the message, but I think that's just how my nervousness manifested. Good thing we weren't doing a wall, like Monastery.

Anyway, it ended up being a fun dive and didn't feel any different than 60' except that with a 7mm jumpsuit with hooded vest I really, really needed to control bouyancy in ways I hadn't anticipated from diving at shallower depths. That meant being aware to dump air every 10' or so on the way up too, which I *did* remember to do.

Back
Top Bottom