Safe Sea for sea lice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone had any personal experience with this product? It's supposed to be a preventative for stings, and I'd like to know if it's effective or not.

Marc

I've had no personal experience but it is said to be a concoction of the same ingredients that protect the clownfish from being stung by the sea anemone.

Here is the blurb about the product:
"Scientists determined that a specific combination of glycosaminoglycans, magnesium and potassium chloride that naturally coat the Clown Fish helped neutralize the stinging mechanism of most jelly fish and other similar sea creatures. Now that patented formula is in a bottle and ready to be packed for your next day at the beach.

Made for anyone wearing neoprene wet suits/diving suits. Does not contain sunscreen that might cause damage to the fabric.

Ingredients: Deioonized Water, Cyclomethicone, Mineral Oil, Cetyl Dimethicone, Laurylmethicone Copolyol, Titanium Dioxide, Stearyl Dimethicone, Ceresine, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Plankton Extract, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Lanthanum Chloride, Formaldehyde, DMDH Hydantoin, Magnesium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Calcium Chloride, Butylen Glycol, Calcium Disodium EDTA, Glycoprotein, Glycosaminoglycans, Fragrance
* It has not been tested against the Portuguese man o' war and box
jellyfish.

Information at this site: http://www.nidaria.com/

scubadoc once bubbled...
I've had no personal experience but it is said to be a concoction of the same ingredients that protect the clownfish from being stung by the sea anemone.

That's reassuring. It rained most of today and it's been four weeks since I've been diving so I visited the LDS and ended up buying some. I never can leave a store without something. :)

Made for anyone wearing neoprene wet suits/diving suits. Does not contain sunscreen that might cause damage to the fabric.

I bought the product with sunscreen in it. Can that damage neoprene? They didn't mention it or try to dissuade me from getting the dual purpose stuff?

Marc

The thimble jellyfish have been everywhere this season and we are selling quite a bit of this Sea Safe stuff. Based upon my rudimentary assessment, it seems to work well.

It's available in versions without sunscreen or with SPF 15, 30, or 30+.

We use a ton of it here, and I can personally attest that it works! From July through September we inundated with more types of stinging jellies than I care to count. It is so common place for divers to be stung, vinegar is carried by the gallon in most vehicles. Last year was the first time I avoided being stung, and that was directly due to the use of Safe Sea. The jellies are so prolific here, it is virtually impossible to avoid being stung. The only jellyfish I personally have not trudged into the water with it are the Chiropsalmus quadrigatus (similar to but less venemous than the Australian box jelly). Normally the bathers at the near by beach get stung quite badly by these, and last year that was greatly reduced by the introduction of Safe Sea to the island.

One of our maintenance guys actually did his own test by rubbing it onto his arm and submerging it into a tank with a freshly caught quadrigatus and it did not sting through the sun screen at all.

I find it to be well worth the money!

CrazyC

The product has been researched on some stinging organisms, but not yet on "sea lice." However, there is good reason to believe that it would be effective.

I'd also suggest that you read this unedited piece from my "Ask RSD" column in the Oct '99 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine:

"I. What are "sea lice" and what can I do about them?

A common form of skin disorder after diving is Sea Bather's Eruption, or SBE. Often mistakenly attributed to "sea lice," which are parasites of fish, SBE is primarily caused by the larval form of thimble jellyfish, very small creatures which float near the surface. Found in Florida, Mexico and the wider Caribbean, they are most numerous from March to August, with early April to early June being peak season.

The main feature of SBE is raised and itchy red welts/blotches which appear 4 to 24 hours after swimming or diving. The larvae tend to attach to swim wear, dive suits and hair, causing the skin under covered areas of the body and around the back of the neck to be most affected. Depending on exposure and individual sensitivity, there may be fever, headache, nausea, vomiting, generalized weakness or chills.

Prevention of stings is the best way to combat SBE. You should: (1) Ask resorts and dive shops if they are aware of heavy infestation; (2) Wear a snug fitting full body protective suit which fits tightly at the neck, wrist and ankle. Swim suits and T-shirts are not recommended; (3) Apply a thin layer of sun protectant, baby oil or petroleum jelly to the skin; (4) Do your safety stop at 15-20', which is below where the organism typically congregates; (5) When surfacing, vigorously purge your second stage above your head just before breaking the water; (6) If on a night dive, turn your light off at the safety stop and keep it off.

If you do get stung: (1) Immediately apply a mixture of 1/2 isopropyl alcohol and 1/2 vinegar to affected skin areas, or whatever is on the boat for such stings. Allow it to dry. Or, put on a thin paste of meat tenderizer and allow to dry. In place of meat tenderizer, some find it more soothing to rub the area with papaya if it is readily available; (2) Remove wet garments immediately and wash yourself thoroughly, preferably first with salt rather than fresh water. Do not rinse off with any items on; (3) Bathing in or applying colloidal oatmeal, which can be purchased at the pharmacy or grocery store, may afford additional relief. Follow these actions with the topical application of hydrocortisone cream/lotion, twice a day. If you do not have or cannot use hydrocortisone, Calamine lotion with menthol can be applied; (4) Given that there are no contraindications, take an oral antihistamine (nonsedating type if you are going to continue diving) if the allergic reaction continues; and (5) Wash all garments well in warm, soapy water and let dry completely before wearing again.

Remember that if you have a severe allergic reaction, or don't get substantial resolution from self treatment, or the eruption seems to be getting worse or infected, you should seek medical attention in a timely manner."

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the good information Doc.
I did wear full protection - even a hood but the buggers got me on the fingers and ankles.
I saw the DM stripping down very quickly in the boat and rinsing his suit - I thought he was just meticulous but now I know why he did this.
The stings were pure torture - especially on my fingers. I suffered with such severe itching that I took a cool compress to bed every night until the swelling/itching subsided (a few days).
I'm going to try this Safe Sea product next time I go to Cozumel.
Barb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom