Preferred mix in a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a pony for a couple of years before stepping up to doubles. I never filled it with anything but air.
Reasoning: I wanted to be able to breathe it at any depth and I didn't want to have to pay to get my tank cleaned for nitrox.

You know, I dove with a 19 cf pony for over five years and then I sold it. It had the original VIP and Hydro and needed both. I never put myself in a situation where I ever needed to use it and it still had the original fill. :D

NetDoc:
Air and only air in a pony. The problem with MOST divers who use a pony is that they end up factoring this in their bottom time calculations. These are the people who seem to like having a NitrOx mix in their pony. If it is only for an emergency, then air is always your safest bet.
Except, of course, on a dive deeper than the MOD of air.

Thalassamania:
Except, of course, on a dive deeper than the MOD of air.
No, then I would diving with Stage bottles with far more gas than a pony could provide. However, for me, your question is moot as I rarely go below 100 fsw.

daniel f aleman:
And, how deep would that be? :D
Since it's an emergency gas supply and would only be used to immediately initiate an ascent I'd be comfortable at 230.:popcorn:

Thalassamania:
Since it's an emergency gas supply and would only be used to immediately initiate an ascent I'd be comfortable at 230.:popcorn:

Sorry Thal - still a poor choice. Well, unless your packing a horse tank rather than a pony. Air consumption rates are just to great at those depths to rely on a 'pony' to get you to a deco stop with a comfortable margin. There are better choices for the foray's below 130-140.

Now, you call it a 'safety' bottle, you could discuss the merits of this. I'd still lean heavily to a 'horse' tank though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom