Seriously Thinking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second jim. If you aren't 100% don't do it.

If you feel like you should embrace this type of diving, take the cavern class and do some low key cavern diving. But do it with a good buddy someone you can trust.

I took my cavern with Jeff Bauer of NACD. Great instructor.

I talked my guy friends into coming down to Florida to do my AOW class and in the process we ended up doing a cavern class. At first it was just to find out if we liked caves and to improve our skills for wreck diving as we all live in the midwest. Needless to say we all ended up longing to see what was "beyond the sign" and 2 months later went back down to do our Intro to Cave - Doubles class. Now we are planning another trip down to do full cave at some point this fall. Our instructor was Nick Leone, another great guy and really good instructor. He is out of Tallahassee. If you do take the cavern class and don't like the caves, it will greatly improve your diving skills......you will have lost nothing by taking it.

naturewalker36:
I Have Been Thinking Last Couple Of Months On Learning To Cave Dive. I Have Talked Myself Into It And Out Of It . How Does One Know If This Is For Them . I Do Understand The Risks . Any Thoughts Or Comments Would Be Greatfull .

I've seen you dive at Paradise or at least jumped in after you climbed out and it was still silt free so you must be doing something right.

At least take the cavern class and then decide if you want to go farther.

I think you will.

ianr33:
Now I am fully aware that you can do intro level cave dives in a wetsuit and single tank but I never seem to actually see anybody cave diving that way.

It's actually quite common. I took my cavern/intro course and dove at that level (with the exception of the wetsuit) for almost two years before progressing on to my full cave course.

As others have said, read up on it and know what you are getting into. Sign up for a cavern class with a quality cave diving instructor. Speak, a lot, with your instructor prior to taking the class so that you have a little advanced knowledge on what gear to bring. DON'T go overboard buying gear for cavern, especially until you've talked to your instructor. Keep an open mind and be very honest with yourself when taking the cavern class.

Another possibility is to try dry caving first. There are numerous dry caves in central florida. It will tell you very quickly whether or not you are cut out to deal with confined spaces and lack of natural light. The are NSS Grottoes near you that would take you for free. When you do dive caves, you will definately appreciate the lack of gravity.

Meng_Tze:
Man I envy you guys..............my wife gets claustrophobic just thinking of a mask. So I am 'that guy who also lives here' during the weekend when I go caving....... Some women just don't understand :wink:

HEY , WATCH IT !!!!

"And some women DO !!! " :D

Da Whatever

P.S. Oh wait , I can't cave dive ... It's ONLY for Big Boys :(
Yea , I know ... What do I know anyway ... (Sigh)
Hard enought when the Salty's pick on me ... (sniff)

Stingray Brett:
The cave could collapse and make u a pancake?

dont listen to the :newbie: Brett just got certified and has no idea what this really entails.

If this is something you are considering....Go do the training....If you find you dont like it......dont do it again. It is an amazing thing to see some of the cavern/caves around the world. It does take a bit more skill, and a lot more finesse, but it is worth it to be somewhere where only a few others have ventured. I know some places around have a Discover Cave/Cavern diving course that might help you better decide..If you can find one it would be perfect to help you decide.

hollywood703:
I know some places around have a Discover Cave/Cavern diving course that might help you better decide..If you can find one it would be perfect to help you decide.

Please tell us more about discover cave? Who does it & where? Inquiring minds want to know.

hollywood703:
..Discover Cave/Cavern diving course
Is that like the discover SCUBA thing where I got bent?:shakehead:

'Discover cave' sounds dangerous.

Advise to OP remains: talk to instructor, do cavern and then see if you truly want to pursue further. Call Jim here in this thread. (no affiliation, but a shameless plug)

Capt Jim Wyatt:
Please tell us more about discover cave? Who does it & where? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ditto ...

Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom