Don't be afraid...COMPLAIN about your LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, pteranodon but we are not talking about the LDS just charging a little more than the online retailers. We are talking about price gouging. I paid $90 for a LP hose and coupling for an Air2 (call me stupid but I was set to dive the following day) and later found out I can get the same thing for about $30 before discount plus tax and shipping from Scubatoys. So the rationale is I might pay $50 or even $55 to throw some business the way of the LDS for the convenience of their location and the knowledge they impart but they charged me $90. Imagine the markup on an item of substantial value....

Maybe the SB site should add some new features, like reports and ratings for:
-equipment
-LDS's
-resorts
-charters
etc...

It is amazing. Even a troll post made by a sock puppet turns into a "bash the dive store" thread. God, I would never want to be a local dive store.

Oh NO! I am one!

Phil Ellis

Complain about my LDS? Why? Bob & Tina Kennedy at Catalina SCUBA Luv are great people and I really like the shop and crew. If I had one minor complain, it would be that they haven't let me organize a "Single Gals Dive with Dr. Bill" weekend charter. Heck, I guess you can't have everything!

netwayne:
Yes, pteranodon but we are not talking about the LDS just charging a little more than the online retailers. We are talking about price gouging. I paid $90 for a LP hose and coupling for an Air2 (call me stupid but I was set to dive the following day) and later found out I can get the same thing for about $30 before discount plus tax and shipping from Scubatoys.
Agreed, that doesn't sound like good customer service. I think it really, really depends on the store. Hearing that some store charged 10 dollars for a couple of o-rings is just sad. When I need o-rings, I go to my LDS, walk into the workshop in the back, grab a bunch from the drawer, and that's that. I do ask every time, but I feel kinda silly.

My LDS is Gypsy Divers in Raleigh NC.

About three years ago - I purchased dive computers for my kid there. This year when I went in for the third battery change - I aksed what gives these should last longer.

They did some research and said that my kids computer models for the year in question had an issue where they sucked batteries dry. I was given a new computer on the spot - I didn't even ask for it.

GrumpyOldGuy:
The problem is every LDS is going to screw someone, sometime, even if overall they are a decent shop. The list of complaints would be very long. I think a better idea if it could be implemented would be some type of survey that could track the number of satistified vs. unsatisfied customers. That could be useful for those member that have a choice (I live in a 1 LDS town, so it does not matter for me).

:no A pretty damming, unfounded and unable to prove statement.

Phil, get off the computer and check out my regs!!

:diver: I NEED to get back in the water!

i too would rather talk up the stores im happy with than bash the ones i avoid

in sydney, there is a shop we drive past to go to another shop to get our 02 fills... hell, we even cross the harbour bridge to go to someone else

we also have our sorb shipped over from the other side of the country rather than go to this shop

but why dont i publically name and bash them... because one day, maybe... one day i might need something from that shop and have to go there

if this shop acted dangerously or did something fraudulently i would have no worries naming them but just because i dont like the personality or attitude doesnt mean i should slam them over the internet

oh, and for my 2c - my rec lds frogdive is good (disclaimer, hubby works there) and divetub is my fav store (i wont say online store as i can pick up the phone anytime and talk to Chris)... ive received good pricing and occasional free or reduced product and i have brought students and friends there for courses or gear and they seem very happy with the deals

cheers

Back
Top Bottom