Used Gear from e bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie:
Would you buy any used gear off e bay, if so what ? if not why ?.

Hi Hillmorton,

You're asking a very open ended and vague question. However, here's an answer.

I have, and would buy SCUBA equipment from ebay. I may not buy everything from ebay, but some things I would in a heartbeat. The usual rules apply: buyer beware, check feedback of the seller and so on.

Buying from ebay (used) isn't too much different than buying things used from someone in your dive club just as long as you're comfortable with the seller.

I've also bought a lot of dive equipment from Internet sellers with no issues whatsoever.

Good luck.

I agree with everything said so far. However, I would not buy a wetsuit or mask from ebay just because proper fit is so important. Even if the seller offers an "exchange policy", you may end up spending a small fortune on shipping. These items also vary greatly in size from one manufacture to another.
Where proper fit is a major issue, I would stick to the LDS.

parrothead600:
I agree with everything said so far. However, I would not buy a wetsuit or mask from ebay just because proper fit is so important. Even if the seller offers an "exchange policy", you may end up spending a small fortune on shipping. These items also vary greatly in size from one manufacture to another.
Where proper fit is a major issue, I would stick to the LDS.

I agree.

I got a DS from ebay only because it was custom and the guy was my size. Just lucky...

Hillmorton Scubie:
Would you buy any used gear off e bay, if so what ? if not why ?.

Not only would I, I have! :D

I've purchased all sorts of used gear on EBay, and have sold quite a bit as well. Want to beat even LP's prices on something new.... EBay! :D Well sometimes....

Heck, I bought my last CAR on Ebay! :11:

My buddy told me I was crazy. When he saw the car, he asked if I wanted to trade it for his! :eyebrow:

I eBayed my original reg set and BC and bought (on eBay) the BC, first stage, and primary second that I now use. My safe second and back-up depth gauge are from craigslist. My LDS services regs for $20/stage plus parts, no matter where you get 'em from.

I bought an O2 booster from eBay for $480, kept it for a couple of months, realized it will be years before I get a rebreather and I could better use the money, so put it back on eBay, and sold it for $2500. Gotta love eBay.

I have bought gear on ebay and will probably do so in the future.

As prev posters said, have it checked prior to use.

I bought both my first BC and my current BP/W on eBay, plus ankle weights and probably some minor stuff I don’t remember (flag? first set of gloves?). Never bought a regulator on eBay, but sold a non-functional Seac-Sub – I was upfront about it, and even included a diagram with the missing part pointed out, - for $40.

I got an excellent condition BP and Eclipse wing for less than half price, including shipping.
I also got a Tri-lam drysuit at 1/3 price that blew a zipper out after 20 dives. Replacing the zipper will cost, but if that lasts it will still be a good deal.

I did go new for my regs though.

Yep, got an Atomic Z2 reg in great condition for only $250 (sells for about $450 new). Just check the sellers rep, most good sellers won't risk the bad feedback for selling junk and most will give you the accurate description if they don't know much about it. Some things might still be cheaper even if they need a service. But as always, be careful and if it is too good a deal it just may be..

I've bought 20 regulators on ebay including some I thought would only be good for parts. With a little TLC, they are all back in the water or ready to go if I need another. I can't think of any piece of dive gear that I have not or would not buy on ebay. But you need to know what you are doing and be prepared for an occasional disappointment. And I would be really careful with tanks - seems like a lot of overpriced junk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom