I'm going to quit smoking!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats Azza, you quit the same time I did right? Christmas last year?
nmf, no new gear, but it sure is making it easier to buy my school books!
samson, I used this program that I downloaded, it keeps up with all the stats for you. You just put in how many cigs you smoked a day at what price and it does the rest!
http://www.xarka.com/freeware/quitcounter.html

dhampton82:
Congrats Azza, you quit the same time I did right? Christmas last year?
nmf, no new gear, but it sure is making it easier to buy my school books!
samson, I used this program that I downloaded, it keeps up with all the stats for you. You just put in how many cigs you smoked a day at what price and it does the rest!
http://www.xarka.com/freeware/quitcounter.html
Thanks D:)

Uh Oh ! Heart trouble. After smoking a pack a day for 25 years I finally quit last year.
My motivation.............My love of diving.
Recently I have been diagnosed with a heart condition known as A-frib.
My Doctor , a diver himself, said I shouldn,t be diving. That was about the worst news I have ever heard, I was devastated.
Here is where I,m sure I might take a lot of flack. I went diving anyway.................. It was a deep dive to a wreck @ 100 ft. Worse: I didn,t tell anyone on the boat about my condition.
I got down to about 95 feet and realized I was probably on a slippery slope.
I signaled my buddy to pair up with another diver and opted to head for the boat.
I now understand that I was putting not only myself but the group in jeopardy.
However I refuse to let this end my diving career.
I am a 44 year old male. likely 20-25 lbs overweight and am on medication to controll this.
Can I continue to dive....

Scary stuff Bob, hope the condition improves or at least doesn't get worse.

Tough decision to make, please think about not only your family and buddy but also the divemaster on the boat. If you do continue make sure your family is aware of the circumstances and put something in place (Living will?) to make sure they don't sue a dive operator/ instructor/divemaster just because that was the trip you succumbed on.

And don't forget the public safety divers that will have to come and look for you if the worst should happen.

Again, sorry to hear about your problem and best wishes in your recovery!

Tom

try to fix yourself up Bob. Listen to your Doctor.

I thought I was superman, I dove deep, I dive multiple times in a day and I smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. Dec 11 07 is a day I won't forget, I had a heart attack, rushed to the hospital and had stent procedure done on me (2 stents for 2 arteries, 100% and 80% blockage). Did therapy for 4 months and 2 stress tests (14.6 mets) before I can dive again.

I don't worry anymore cuz I know I'm fixed but I know I can't go back to have the same lifestyle I had before the attack. There's no short cut, Bob.

BTW, tomorrow, Sept 11, would be my 9th cig free month:D

Back
Top Bottom