Whale Shark encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.Rich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just thought I would post up a couple pictures from a whale shark encounter earlier this summer.
We were in about 120fsw on a flat calm day when my buddy spotted one.
We slowed to investigate and learned that there were actually 3!
There were two long skinny ones and giant fat one.
I'm not sure if it was two females with a male or vice versa.
They had several Cobias and close to 100 amberjacks following behind!

Anyway... we jumped in with the first one and it swam around us and let each of us ride its dorsal fin. It never sounded the entire time and actually stayed right on the surface so that your head was often times completely out of the water and you were nearly sitting on its back.
The first one was really friendly. The other two came in to investigate the commotion and the other long skinny one also gave us a ride. The big fat one kept its distance but never left the area.

What a trully incredible experience! This is only the second time I have ever seen a whale shark in the Gulf after diving for 28 years!

Attachments

• WS-SB 1.jpg
    WS-SB 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 115
  • WS SB 2.jpg
    WS SB 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 114
  • WS SB 3.jpg
    WS SB 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 108
  • WS SB 4.jpg
    WS SB 4.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 107
  • WS SB 5.jpg
    WS SB 5.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 107
Trying again to post pics. Can anybody tell me how to post pics that show up that dont have to be clicked on to open?
Thanks!

Attachments

• WS-SB 1.jpg
    WS-SB 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 94
Where in the gulf where you and what time of the year?
Great pics .... i normally upload my pics to a site like photobucket then it will give you a link that will make your image show in a forum IMG code :wink:
kimray4.jpg

Kim P

NICE shots..
Lets just say that most shots people got when I visited them creatures on saturday was a lot more murky than those :p

Great shots and what a wonderful experience.

I post my pictures here by first loading them onto my website, though any site will do. Then copy the text of the link to the photo. You then type the following on your Scubaboard post:

Hope that helps!

Earlier this summer and you waited this long? :11doh: :) So where about were you guys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom