Mac or PC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In order from first to latest:

1. A very old Mac Powerbook. I forget the model number, but it had a tiny 10 inch screen and was black and white -- not even grayscale. I bought it in 1994? and cost me something like $2000, a lot of money in those days.

2. A Mac Performa 6-something series. One of the early PowerPC Mac's. Kept it for only a month, then returned it to Circuit City for the next one.

3. A Mac Performa 6100 series. Also PowerPC, and I added a DOS Compatibility Card which originally came with Windows 3.1, which I upgraded to Windows 95. DOS Card didn't run Windows much faster than Virtual PC.

4. PowerMac G2 series, forget the model number now. The last Mac I ever owned, and would be my last Apple product until the iPod.

5. IBM ThinkPad iSeries, forget the model number. My first foray into "The Dark Side." Never looked back since. Nice, rugged computer, though it had a smallish 12 inch screen (in the footprint of a 14 or 15 inch model). Originally came with Windows 98SE, was able to upgrade it to WinXP.

6. HP Pavilion desktop. Scratch and dent model I got from MicroCenter. Came with the crappy Windows ME operating system. Kept it for a short while and then traded it in for a Dell.

6. Dell Dimension L desktop. Also originally a Windows 98 SE computer that I was able to upgrade to XP. My first of a series of Dell computers.

7. Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop. My first computer with XP factory installed. Bought new in early 2002, I still have it, but it's currently up for sale.

8. Dell Dimension 4500 desktop. Another long-term workhorse that I owned only until a few months ago.

9. Dell XPS-410 desktop. My first Vista computer, and until Microsoft fixes all the bugs in their latest OS, my last. I have gotten it stable though, and have so far resisted the temptation of reformatting the drive and installing XP.

10. Dell Latitude D520 laptop. My newest computer, but with XP Home rather than Vista. Intended for the road and for wireless internet surfing, it actually gets more use than the XPS-410, as it boots much faster and isn't buggy.

I just purchase a mac book to replace my Dell Inspirion laptop. I also have a Vaio PC. Both have their uses.

daughter : mac g5
hubby : imac (older- 5yrs think it is an antique now lol)
laptop : macbook

All PC from my laptop to the desktop.

All mine :D
Intel 24" IMAC
12" powerbook
Used to have a PC at home too. Got rid of it once I got the intel MAC, and I simply run bootcamp on it.

Also got a Windows laptop from work!!! Can't get rid of it because of VPN/ Security/ encryption requirements!!!

Both, and more than one on....both. But I work for Apple if that tells you anything! :D

Only one machine running Windows. It's running XP and for a winbox, it has been a trooper. I do have a drive with Server 2003 on it for testing purposes, but haven't used it in quite some time.

i have a new mac pro with quad core 3.0gh processors and two 23 inch monitors and a 15 inch mac book pro i am a photographer and would be lost with out them. they are great computers supper fast. i would get a mac book pro if you can only get one computer they are fast and very powerful computers capable of doing any thing that you need to do.

p.s. what ever u do not get a computer with vista on it.

BidAndDive.com:
4 pcs...all filled with spyware and viruses because they aren't Macs...
I manage over a dozen PC's at work, plus 3 at home, and none have spyware or viruses. Maybe its the user?

Peronally, I prefer linux, although I'm forced to work with windows due to a lot of software that isn't avaiable on other platforms. I don't mind macs for personal use, although its been years since I owned one. I hate macs in multi-user facilities - I spend maybe 20min/week dealing with problems on our work PCs. I spend at least that daily dealing with problems on the macs. We have 2 macs, yet they consume 5-6x more of my time then do the dozen PC's...

Bryan

1 Macbook
1 Dell laptop
4 Servers (one dell, one whitebox linux and 2 vm servers)

All tools have their place; some tools work better on mac some better on pc.

All OS X
1 iBook G4 14.1"
1 Powerbook G4 17"
1 Titanium Powerbook 15"
1 MacBook Pro 15"
1 iPhone (had to throw that in)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom