Purchasing an Oxygen kit and where to get O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can go about circumventing the laws on O2 with a rx? A far as demand valves we quit using those in EMS about 15 years ago, they over inflate the lungs and cause a pneumothorax. There are two types of non-rebreather face masks. One is a partial non-rebreather which lets some room air in and gives you about 85-95 percent end tidal O2 concentration. The other is a total non-rebreather which gives you 100 percent oxygen. The only true way to deliver 100 pecent oxygen is through a endotracheal tube via intubation, which requires expensive equipement, training and the direction of a MD.

divingmedic:
How can go about circumventing the laws on O2 with a rx? A far as demand valves we quit using those in EMS about 15 years ago, they over inflate the lungs and cause a pneumothorax. There are two types of non-rebreather face masks. One is a partial non-rebreather which lets some room air in and gives you about 85-95 percent end tidal O2 concentration. The other is a total non-rebreather which gives you 100 percent oxygen. The only true way to deliver 100 pecent oxygen is through a endotracheal tube via intubation, which requires expensive equipement, training and the direction of a MD.
With all due respect both your statement concerning pneumothorax (may well be true for some class of patients other than divers) and partial non-rebreather masks (about 70%) flies in the face of what I was taught, I do find staments on the that non-rebreathers CAN deliver up to 90%, we need some referenced data here.

divingmedic:
As far as demand valves we quit using those in EMS about 15 years ago, they over inflate the lungs and cause a pneumothorax.
Terminology often bites us when this discussion comes up.

Some of us use the term “demand” when referring to regulators that react to the demand of a breathing patient, much as a scuba regulator, which is a demand-activated regulator. Some, especially emergency medical personnel, use the term “demand” when referring to positive-pressure regulators that are used to inflate a non-breathing patient’s lungs. The concern divingmedic raises relates to the latter.

Fortunately, there are now positive-pressure ventilators that reduce this concern by limiting the pressure delivered.

See also this thread: http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146108
and/or this article: http://www.otwo.com/article_2.htm

Anyone using a positive-pressure regulator to administer oxygen should be trained in its use.
DAN provides such training in its Advanced Oxygen First Aid course.

knotical:
Terminology often bites us when this discussion comes up.

Some of us use the term “demand” when referring to regulators that react to the demand of a breathing patient, much as a scuba regulator, which is a demand-activated regulator. Some, especially emergency medical personnel, use the term “demand” when referring to positive-pressure regulators that are used to inflate a non-breathing patient’s lungs. The concern divingmedic raises relates to the latter.

Fortunately, there are now positive-pressure ventilators that reduce this concern by limiting the pressure delivered.

See also this thread: http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=146108
and/or this article: http://www.otwo.com/article_2.htm

Anyone using a positive-pressure regulator to administer oxygen should be trained in its use.
DAN provides such training in its Advanced Oxygen First Aid course.
That's what I thought. Now can we resolve the oxygen percentage question?

I purchased a bottle, reg and mask on e-bay for under $100 bucks, as for fills my local gas distributor will fill it for $18. If I want to get it filled for free my EMT buddy will get it filled for free, but I have to wait several days on it. 12-15 liters per minute with a nonrebreather mask will deliver 80-100% O2 depending on fit of the mask. This is according to Brady Emergency Care 8th edition page 128 table 6-3.

Thalassamania:
That's what I thought. Now can we resolve the oxygen percentage question?

Thalassamania,

According to Brady Emergency Care 8th edition page 128 table 6-3, With a flow rate of 12-15 liters per minute a nonrebreather mask will deliver 80-100% O2 depending on the fit of the mask.

Thalassamania:
can we resolve the oxygen percentage question?
Here’s my attempt.

Mostly extracted from:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/download/The4Rs.pdf

Resuscitating without supplemental oxygen 16%.
Bag valve mask without supplemental oxygen 21%.
Normal breathing 21%.
Resuscitating with supplemental oxygen can exceed 50%.
Non-rebreather mask varies, but can exceed 90%. <Trever&#8217;s answer of 80-100% seems better here.>
Demand valve with tight fitting mask approaches 100%.

I did not find anything on the bag valve mask with supplemental oxygen, or the manually triggered ventilator, but logic tells me they also approach 100%.

My spinal column has been very, very good to me ... I'll stick with a demand regulator and get a guaranteed 100%, 80% to 100% can mean the difference between bladder, bowel and sexual function and NOT.

Thalassamania:
My spinal column has been very, very good to me ... I'll stick with a demand regulator and get a guaranteed 100%, 80% to 100% can mean the difference between bladder, bowel and sexual function and NOT.

The assumption here is that with the demand (negative pressure induced flow) regulator, you have a perfect seal on the mask so that there is no air leakage when you inhale. Otherwise, you will not receive 100% on inhalation.

Thalassamania:

Nothing is guaranteed 100% O2, only rated at 100% 02. Your seal has a lot to do with it, especially if trying to administer oxygen to an unconscious person. I've been administering O2 on a daily basis for 16 years, and some faces are just difficult to get a good seal on.

I have a demand valve on my O2 kit, and I also carry a bag valve mask. BVM is much safer for resuscitation, for reasons mentioned earlier regarding lung overpressurization. The demand valve was been removed as a resuscitation device in California years ago for this reason. It is still good for delivering O2 to a conscious person capable of maintaining their airway and holding the mask themselves. The BVM will provide 100% oxygen with a good seal and the reservoir bag filled and as I said, is far better for resuscitation. But they also require practice to use correctly, especially as a 1 person skill.

The non-rebreather mask is the best constant flow delivery device commonly available, but as mentioned before, uses O2 faster than a demand valve. The positive side to them is that it does not require someone to hold it to their face, which in the case of a person with decreased mental status may make it the device of choice if an adequate O2 supply is at hand.

Oh, also I put my kit together myself. I bought a regulator and demand valve used, and bought the cylinder and adjuncts from local suppliers. Total cost of less than $200 including BVM, NRB masks, OP airways, etc.

Back
Top Bottom