Mexico report - Cancun, Cozumel, Cenotes and whalesharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PlayaCountryBoy:
I've swam with whals sharks in Mexico, Thailand, and Indonesia, and I have never seen tuna swimming with or around them. Maybe bar jacks but not tuna.
Can't find the brain-fart smilie. :silly: I don't know where I got that idea? Thot I read the the fishermen followed the whale sharks to fish the tuna...?

I had the same experience with Ben at MAD. It was an amazing trip. I'll be back with him next year. The whales are amazing. We also saw mantas and dolphins. Thanks Ben!!!
Jo

I had a similar experience with Ben at the end of September 2007. Fantastic sea life during the Cancun dives. I had my first experience with a nurse shark and the eel sighting was a pleasant surprise. MAD is definitely a first class operation that strives for a great customer experience. Thanks, Ben, Alvaro, and Pedro we will look into the Boat rental in March 2008.

Andy
:snorkel:

I just got back from Cancun and will also strongly recommend Mayan Aqua Dive.. If you want a very personalized professional experience Ben and his staff are what your looking for. Feel free to PM if you want more info.
Lee

We did Chac Mool our second day of cavern class. It is beautiful, but it IS hard to believe there's going to be room for divers, from what you can see from the surface.

After this trip, I'm ruined, I think. I can't imagine reef diving in that area, when there are so many beautiful caves to see :)

We did Chac Mool our second day of cavern class. It is beautiful, but it IS hard to believe there's going to be room for divers, from what you can see from the surface.

After this trip, I'm ruined, I think. I can't imagine reef diving in that area, when there are so many beautiful caves to see :)

This trip I'm all booked up on reef stuff but maybe in May I'll have to give the cenotes a try. Everyone just raves about them! Don't know how I'd be with the confinement though - but I don't usually freak about that kind of stuff...

Well, remember that the dives that are available to open water divers are all CAVERN dives -- This means you can always see some daylight, although it may be dim. And the cavern dives don't take you into any very small passages -- You always have to be able to swim two divers side by side. It's really a lot like swimming through a house -- rooms and corridors, but certainly nothing you have to squeeze through!

Truely amazing, isnt it how much is hidden below that little pond of apparently filthy water?
I REALLY wish I had a camera for that one. I better get myself a UW housing and get back there and get something more than topside pics :p

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/80564

We were able to swim with whale sharks in Utila, and didn't see tuna but did come within a few feet of a marlin. Now that was crazy! Needless to say once he started circling around and looking agitated, the DMs told us to get into the boat rather quickly. Pretty cool, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom