Purchasing an Oxygen kit and where to get O2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thalassamania:
My spinal column has been very, very good to me ... I'll stick with a demand regulator and get a guaranteed 100%, 80% to 100% can mean the difference between bladder, bowel and sexual function and NOT.

So you purchased an O2 kit with a demand regulator?

A few more thoughts:

Training:
All devices should be coupled with appropriate training. Such training will also help you decide what kit is most appropriate for your needs

Masks:
For any kit, I’d include a resuscitation mask with oxygen inlet (e.g. “Pocket Mask&#8221:wink:. They can be used with either breathing or non-breathing patients.
I’d also include a few non-rebreather masks. They’re cheap, disposable (can’t be sanitized) and as previously discussed can provide high concentrations of oxygen for a breathing patient.

For those who like bag-valve masks, by all means, include them. They’re not very expensive. Be sure to consider those that can be used with supplemental oxygen. But note that they are difficult to use in a single rescuer scenario.

Regulators:
The simplest and least expensive kit to consider would include a simple, “one-stage” regulator that provides only an adjustable constant-flow outlet. This might well be sufficient for the casual diver. If I were injured, I’d much rather have one of these around than nothing.

A step up is a demand (patient activated) regulator that includes a somewhat more complex regulator (in the case of DAN’s kit, it’s like having a scuba first stage and a second stage). Typically these first stages also include an adjustable constant-flow outlet so a second patient can be served. This is what I own.

Somewhat more complex is a regulator that adds the positive-pressure ventilation feature, such as DAN’s MTV-100. This will be my next kit.

The crème de la crème would be an Automatic Transport Ventilator that senses the patient’s breathing, or lack thereof and adjusts accordingly. But these cost thousands of dollars, and are probably not a consideration for most.

Cylinders:
The farther away you dive from emergency medical care, the more oxygen you should have.

Summary:
The minimum kit I’d like to see around all dive sites would include:
a small cylinder
a constant flow regulator
a pocket mask
a non-rebreather mask

knotical:
Summary:
The minimum kit I’d like to see around all dive sites would include:
a small cylinder
a constant flow regulator
a pocket mask
a non-rebreather mask

That is exactly what I have, paid less than $100 for the whole shebang. I am not sure that a size "E" med cylinder is small, it may be considered medium. I also have a simple set of laminated instructions on how to administer first aid O2 using this set up. A 12 year old can use it. The main thing is make sure that the O2 is flowing before you place the mask on the patient.

Trever:
So you purchased an O2 kit with a demand regulator?
Yes, and some non-rebreather masks, and a bag mask, and I usually have an 80 full of oxygen with a O2 clear scuba regulator. Green gas is good gas!

I'm looking directly at information from "Brady-Emergency Care for the Professional Rescuer" (A standard manual for EMT trainees). page 191
Partial rebreathing mask...35-60 percent O2 when delivered at 6-10 lpm
Non-rebreathing mask......80-95 percent O2 at 8 lpm and
90-100 percent at 12 lpm
*the last data is under the understanding that the bag is kept inflated between inspirations.

That's the best data I could find close to hand. Hope it helps.

Talk about the "department of redundancy department"....
I totally missed Trevor's post on the previous page. Sorry to duplicate! But I do that a lot.

Sorry to duplicate!

Guba:
I'm looking directly at information from "Brady-Emergency Care for the Professional Rescuer" (A standard manual for EMT trainees). page 191
Partial rebreathing mask...35-60 percent O2 when delivered at 6-10 lpm
Non-rebreathing mask......80-95 percent O2 at 8 lpm and
90-100 percent at 12 lpm
*the last data is under the understanding that the bag is kept inflated between inspirations.

That's the best data I could find close to hand. Hope it helps.
I'm looking for real data, not quotes from a textbook. I've read (and for that matter written) enough texts to not place my faith there, that's just the best the author remembers and that the the editors missed or didn't know either. On the other hand it may well be right. I'd like the references that support those numbers.

You're on your own on that one, then. The table and text were not acredited (at least not directly), so I couldn't trace the data path. However, I did consult my other manuals from when I was trained as a respiratory therapist (long time ago), and the data was the same (for what that's worth). While it is possible that the data could be mistaken in multiple sources, I think the chances are remote considering that they are both considered industry standard sources for medical data. Were they to be "wrong", the liability issues would be staggering since the manuals are used to train the vast majority of EMS personel and respiratory caregivers. Surely the tort system has put the data to the test on numerous occassions.
However, if someone can provide actual test results, go for it! I'm certain that if discrancies are found, lawsuit lawyers will be looking for a lot of new business! hehe

Thalassamania:
I'm looking for real data, not quotes from a textbook. I've read (and for that matter written) enough texts to not place my faith there, that's just the best the author remembers and that the the editors missed or didn't know either. On the other hand it may well be right. I'd like the references that support those numbers.

The only way to get that data is place a person on the oxygen device and then draw an atrial blood gas.

divingmedic:
The only way to get that data is place a person on the oxygen device and then draw an atrial blood gas.
Actually that would not work, I'm sure that its been done: nothing more than instrument the various delivery systems with a oxygen sensor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom