Gander Mountain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was in there today (aurora), I haven't been there in quite some time.

I walk in and take a look around the store.. A Diver Down flag caught my eye.

they're pretty well stocked on scuba gear and accessories.

everything you would need for basic (+) scuba. even tanks and air fills.

so if you're jonesin' to look at gear or maybe find something your LDS doesn't have, these guys might.

From the guy I spoke with, they've been doing this for a short while now (since Jan ~)

no relation, just fyi.

oh, saw lots of Mares equipment and a sprinkling of UK, TUSA and a few other's.

eta: oh yeah, they also had Oceanic regs.

They did a test with 5 stores starting last year....They teamed up with Divers Direct and Naui...Both pulled out leaving Gander to fend for themselves....Needless to say Jimmy from the Tent Dept. in most stores (except destination location Flordia) hasnt done the best job and they are failing at this venture....There are alot of things they are doing wrong, we have one close by too.....Without trying to look like we are bashing, here are a few....They dont offer most Manuf. incentives on equipment(sales, trade up policies, etc) No sales or package pricing, My favorite of all is the location of the compressor near where they run, fix, and put together 4-wheelers(great on the filters that Jimmy said they will change every 6mths :lol: )......I had some talks with them to try and help rectify their weaknesses......but met with closed minds.........In my honest opinion, I dont think your going to see them around too much longer( 1 -2years) unless they drastically change their business model........But a great idea like sports chalet, just not the right people trying to make it happen from my talks and experience with them.....

If Gander Mtn. has what you want, you will not find a better price locally.

Yeah, the DiversDirect thing did not work out well. I'm not going to point fingers, but whom-ever decided to stock the Denver area store with an entire shelf of *Speer Guns* was just plain outta-their-minds! :D

They will no longer price match on DD prices, unless you push them, like walk out of the store. Then they will. I also think this *could* fail. I will not say it will because Gander Mtn is big, and they obviously are doing things right in other departments.

RonFrank:
If Gander Mtn. has what you want, you will not find a better price locally.

Yeah, the DiversDirect thing did not work out well. I'm not going to point fingers, but whom-ever decided to stock the Denver area store with an entire shelf of *Speer Guns* was just plain outta-their-minds! :D

They will no longer price match on DD prices, unless you push them, like walk out of the store. Then they will. I also think this *could* fail. I will not say it will because Gander Mtn is big, and they obviously are doing things right in other departments.

C'mon Ron, don't we all need a Speargun for hunting crawfish in Aurora or the Blue Hole?

I didn't know this effort had gone ****-up. Very interesting.

Yeah..... most divers who would buy something there wouldn't buy a spear-gun.

a 3mm I could see selling though for folks who do caribbean trips.

The spear guns may get marked down to a nice cheap price, then I can have a new one for my FL gear stash....

Back
Top Bottom