Bonaire's Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phelana

Contributor
Reaction score
Greets Divers,

Some of you are Bonaire divers and are well aware of the splendid dive conditions, the diverse shore sites available and the island's reputation for having one of the Caribbean's best ecosystem. Well at the risk of making a big political statement I want to share some information that may impact your future vacation.

Our island has taken the lead in being a environmentally concious island. STINAPA and the Bonaire government have paved the way for others to follow their model. Hats off. Where can one dive in other Caribbean harbours? Not many...it's simply pristene. Our reefs are healthy despite damage from Lenny and our beaches are clean.

Bonaire seeks to expand and grow as all destinations and has chosen to explore the mass cruise ship route.
I was reviewing the cruise ship calendar and notice on a few days we will have over 4500-5500 additional tourists on island. This may mean revenue for the island’s tourism but to me it stress’s the island's infrastructure. As you may know when we have 3500 passengers on a day the island is greatly impacted. On these days Donkey Beach for example may have up to 50 or more newbies snorkeling the reefs. On at least one occassion I saw tourists standing on the reefs taking a chill break? How will the dive shops manage the masses and who will be able to take the time to educate all on our precious environment.

Here are the dates:

Dec 26
Jan. 1
Jan. 23
Feb. 6
Feb. 13
Feb. 20
March 5
March 12

Does anyone have experience with how mass cruise ship tourism has impacted Cayman, another dive spot? I am looking to become better educated so I can understand the possible merits to this marketing scheme as well as concerns.

If this is not the appropriate forum kindly accept my apologies.

Ann Phelan
www.bonairecaribbean.com

I can't speak for Cayman, I stopped going there long before the cruise ships arrived, but my experience has been that when the cruise ships start to come the environment suffers in many ways, from air pollution to reef damage; the existing local business go under, and the chain stores and fast food franchises that replace them prosper. Very bad juju.

My rant - as a diver who went to Cozumel for 5 years in a row, I can say that we saw a huge impact of cruise ship tourism there. The biggest thing is the town of San Miguel was always friendly to divers and stores/restaurants open late each night so divers could eat and shop after a long day of diving. Last time we were there we noticed that stores pretty much closed up when cruise ships left (5-6pm!) and many restaurants never even opened on days no ships were in. It sucked. It was like a ghost town at night.

Also, most of the first two streets from the waterfront are now owned by cruise ship companies and local shop owners are forced out. The stores are high end jewelry stores and nothing I would ever buy at. Sad. I miss most of the quaint little shops and haggling. :D Every night we used to go downtown and walk around, shopping and eating at a diff place each night. No more. Last time there so many restaurants were closed at 7pm that we had to eat dinner twice at the cruise ship mall (yes, they have built a shopping mall right at the pier now). The whole atmosphere of island has changed. Cozumel is now geared towards those cruise ships and divers are not important.

The gov't receives $$$ for each passenger on each cruise ship so it is financially good for the island, but sucks for divers. I don't know when or if we will ever go back.

robint

Welcome Ann. If sharing a warning about potential negative impact to great diving is not appropriate for this forum I guess I'd wonder about the forum. You mentioned you wanted to understand the "possible merits to this marketing scheme", by which I presume you mean bringing in more cruise ships? The "merits" belong to the few big cruise corporations and the destinations they overrun are minor profit centers--but the destinations don't drive the boat. When you follow the money (still sage advice) you find a few locals do well at the expense of everyone else.

Picture these as cattle boats. The islands get promises of untold riches that the cattle will bring but when the ships leave, about all the cattle have left behind is...yeah. A mess. Hard to blame the "cattle" though, one grazing site, uh excuse me, "tropical paradise" looks pretty much like another. Cruisers can't be expected to learn "Oh, Bonaire is unique, let's not trash it" if they are only onshore a few hours (where they really don't spend all that much money anyway). Do you have any sense for how governance on Bonaire will be changing in the near future? Could be that those changes offer some hope of establishing "carrying limits" that Bonaire, not the industry, can live with. Worth paying attention to the local political changes at any rate.

Sure, follow the money if you want to understand who benefits, who loses. Robints comments above about Cozumel hold for just about any place you can park a cruise ship. Be interesting to learn if any place has been successful in limiting cruise industry growth to manageable levels and how they did it. If Bonaire can't, with it's pioneering marine park rules and long established environmental concern, any dive destination that can float a cruise ship is probably in trouble. BTW Ann your weather (and other) observations on StormCaribe are always appreciated! // ww

Its sad but inevitable the ships will arrive. They have worked very hard to preserve the Island and reefs beauty and I am confident they will go to extreme lengths to do so. I have faith in the Bonarians to police their gem of an Island but if they dont or cannot then unfortunately this will become another COZ of cattle boats. Excluding ships from stop overs is not going to wrk however the dive operators have a unique opportunity to educate from the get-go. There is no other way to preserve what they have. Just my two cents, Good Luck Bonaire hope to see you again soon.

Make the rules onerous enough (gotta check for an any potential terrorists) and that landing tax high enough that they go away.

I've come to Bonaire both ways (on a cruise ship and via plane) and can tell you that as long as you don't have any way for the cruise ship passengers to get around the island, and don't create any new attractions, everything will be fine.

Although the ships contain thousands of people, most stay on the ship because they consider the island "boring". The passengers that do get off stay around downtown because there's really no easy way for them to get anywhere else. Even the people that go downtown typically don't get any farther out than the Cultimara

As long as you don't "improve" the island by creating other "attractions", and don't extend the port time, or add high-capacity transportation, I wouldn't worry about it.

Damage from the the snorkeling passengers can be kept to a minimum by bringing them to places where the reef starts deeper than they are likely to dive to (most have no idea that they can dive with a snorkel). Damage from SCUBA divers can be prevented by sending DMs with the cruise ship divers (similar to Cozumel). Aside from anything else, the passengers are already used to pauing for guided dives, so they won't really mind and it's more money and work for the DMs.

Cozumel brought their development on themselves by building roads, increasing the number of taxis, building touristy shops and restaurants and all the rest. If you don't build it, they won't come.

Terry

Greets Divers,

Some of you are Bonaire divers and are well aware of the splendid dive conditions, the diverse shore sites available and the island's reputation for having one of the Caribbean's best ecosystem. Well at the risk of making a big political statement I want to share some information that may impact your future vacation.

Our island has taken the lead in being a environmentally concious island. STINAPA and the Bonaire government have paved the way for others to

Actually, Bonaire does have an excellent sustainable growth plan in place. Stinapa et al, are still extremely proctective of Bonaire's reef and Marine Park as well as to the approach of eco friendly practices. Our new Electric and Water Plant that is currently underway is being built at the north end of the island, and will rely on at least 30-40% from wind energy via the 7-8 giant windmills that are being built up by Boca Onima, which is on the west cost just outside of Washington Slaagbai Park. The other fuel source will NOT be fossil fuels, but something similar, if not ethanol type fuels.

I am not at all thrilled about the cruise ships, as I have always loved the tranquility and peacefulness of Bonaire, over the past 17 years I have been visiting and now living here. But also, I am happy about it because it will open so many opportunities for the locals on the island, which is desparately needed. Based on the small amount of cruise ships that visited last year, it was estimated that at least 10% of these visitors returned for a land stay. I feel it will also be a way for people who are not used to "our way of living" to see the "eco side" of our planet and that there are other things to do and have fun other than video games, theme park rides, etc.

I also am aware that many are concerned about the reef and an excessive number of divers. This is being controlled by the number of dive/snorkel permits, etc on the island. Right now they are not issuing any new permits, not even for guided diving/snorkeling. This is good.

Also, I do not see "fast food" and chain stores coming into Bonaire. The $ would not be supported for the "non-cruise" season. Also cruisers, usually eat meals on the ship, as it is included in the price. They might try a local snack, or ice cream, but that is it. Remember, we only have more or less 14,000 people on the island, and anyway that is not the way of the tourism plan.

Basically the island is growing, it was inevitable. Actually I'm really surprised it hasn't happened earlier. The real challenge is going to be to keep the growth in check, and follow the plan.

There are always positives and negatives to growth, that is a fact. What has to be done is to see if the positives outway the negatives and to be sure that you have the "negatives" to a minimum and under control.

The island of Bonaire is taking an excellent approach to this. I think you will see a very good growth, a positive for the island people (especially evident by the Tourism Awareness Program - TAP, in place for the locals which provides education, training, etc), as well as tourists. Bonaire is also striving to keep Bonaireans on island and provide job opportunities for college level education positions. Another program in place FORMA, which is working to provide educational opportunities in entry to mid level business jobs.

There is so much going on, but it is only human nature for a response to items that have a potential to cause negative outcomes.

Cruise ships will be coming, that is a fact. Yes, there will be negative aspects, but if managed correctly, these will be minimal. Let's look at all the positive aspects of what growth will do to the island (cruise ships are just a small part).

I have faith in our island government, in it's approach and plan for a sustainable tourism program. I whole-heartedly believe that we will not become an Aruba, Puerto Rico or even a Curacao.

I expect you will see some high end outlet stores come into town, but in general, I think you will see an island on the scale of St. Johns or St. Kitts (only on a much smaller scale), both where the environment are paramount to the people of those islands.

To reiterate, growth is coming, cruise ships are a part of tourism. The best way to make sure things do not get out of hand is to have a good plan in place and follow the plan. This is happening on Bonaire. I think in the long run, all will be happy with the changes. People are creatures who tend to resist change, this is only natural, but in the long run, it is a good thing for Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom