do nitrogen excite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a joke, I'm serious because I notice this effect after dives and I'm excited while my girlfriend is tired and this is a problem... :wacko:

Is the nitrogen really exciting or is it the dive?

thank you, ciao, Marco

Hi Marco,

Nitrogen is an inert gas and has no biochemical effect on the body but it does behave like the anaesthetic gases used in surgical operations and produces a narcotic effect, which I am sure you have heard about.

There is little doubt that individuals react differently to the narcotic effects of nitrogen just as they differ in their sensitivity to general anaesthetics and alcohol. It may be that what you describe in yourself is a part of this narcotic effect but this is certainly not the only thing about diving that makes it so enjoyable to most and, of course, narcosis wears off on the ascent.

I am sure there are other variables. It take it you are not diving with Nitrox, as that is renowned for generating a feeling of well being and perhaps exitability.

Perhaps you GF is not as keen as you and this is a symptom of her anxiety, or she may be cold?

The other possibility, of course, is she may be describing subclinical DCI.

Thank you Paul for your kind answer. Yes, maybe my GF is cold and tired while I am happy and regenerated.

I'll buy a different (6.5 mm) suite... so she'll come out warm :wink:

ciao

... you get a buzz out of elevated partial pressures of oxygen (not nitrogen)? Or perhaps just a buzz out of diving ... I often feel exhilarated after a good tropical dive, but it's usually due to that shark I saw go over the reef wall, or perhaps just the sun hitting the blue sea with all those happy holiday-makers on board ...

Wish I was in the Red Sea now ... :sunny: :yea: :approve:

I wish too!! but we are damned to work! :upset:

This just might be a beta-endorphin increase in the male diver. Why not the female? I just don't know! I've learned many years ago not to predict what happens to ladies.

Anyway - here are some citations that show elevated endorphins in divers. It's not just pressure, either, as Dewey's second study showed little effect from a chamber dive.

Tripathi HL, Eastman NW, Brase DA, Dewey WL.
Effects of diving experience on submersion-induced increases in plasma levels of beta-endorphin in scuba divers.
Neuropeptides. 1991 Apr;18(4):223-7.

Tripathi HL, Eastman NW, Olson KG, Brase DA, Dewey WL.
Effects of hyperbaric simulation of scuba diving pressure on plasma beta-endorphin.
Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1991 Jan;38(1):219-21.

Adams ML, Eastman NW, Tobin RP, Morris DL, Dewey WL.
Increased plasma beta-endorphin immunoreactivity in scuba divers after submersion.
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1987 Apr;19(2):87-90.

Casti A, Orlandini G, Troglio MG, Bacciottini F, Michelini M, Maninetti L, Vezzani G, Rastelli G, Vescovi P.
Acute and chronic hyperbaric oxygen exposure in humans: effects on blood polyamines, adrenocorticotropin and beta-endorphin.
Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1993 Nov;129(5):436-41.

Here is the pertinent abstract:
Neuropeptides. 1991 Apr;18(4):223-7.

Effects of diving experience on submersion-induced increases in plasma levels of beta-endorphin in scuba divers.

Tripathi HL, Eastman NW, Brase DA, Dewey WL.

Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical College of Virginia Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond 23298.

The submersion of eight male scuba divers in a state of neutral buoyancy for 20 min resulted in a significant increase (mean, 20%) in plasma beta-endorphin immunoreactivity (beta-EIR), and all subjects reported post-submersion feelings of well-being, relaxation or euphoria. The increase in beta-EIR was negatively correlated with age (r = -0.727) and diving experience (r = -0.860), and positively correlated with the amount of air usage during submersion (r = 0.863). Thus, diving experience appears to influence many of the nonsubjective parameters measured.

Back
Top Bottom