XTX200 Tungsten vs SP MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreatBruce:
Thanks...I think it is a good choice too.It will be a ATX200 Tungsten.
OK, a reasonable choice. I have Apex ATX 200s and love them. They are probably no better than the top line ScubaPros, but service seems to be a bit more available. I do not understand the fascination with tungsten, however.

A good reason? Well, getting the tungsten version (and paying the whollata extra...) will certainly prove you're a real smuck, and by using them valves everyone else will also know! :D

Haha..well..since I have taken off the bottom of the scale (meaning I know exactly what saving a few more cents to buy a pack of 4 eggs means...), I enjoy the "no budget limit" to live my passions and little boys dreams as well, comfortable and safe as I can. Diving is one of them...and since one of the others is Lamborghinis, believe me, I am used to all sorts of insults and judgements...People always have a hard time understanding the difference between showing off, and enjoying life. I really don't care what people think, as long as I am happy, keep my friends close to me and my family safe....This being said, I don't waste it because, believe me or not, it's not falling from the sky !

OK, a reasonable choice. I have Apex ATX 200s and love them. They are probably no better than the top line ScubaPros, but service seems to be a bit more available. I do not understand the fascination with tungsten, however.

No fascination for the tungsten..it's rather a question of look really. In fact, I might even have found a Black Pearl edition. Again, no particular technical advantages compared to a regular ATX200, but it's honestly just for the fun of owning a limited edition gadget :) I was looking at the Titanium ScubaPro, as it is very light and therefore easy to travel with, but it is definitively too expensive..

Anyway, I'm happy with my new gear and thank all of you for your inputs, advice and comments. That has been a good help to get back up to speed to the new technics and products now available. This forum is a fantastic mine of knowledge !
I can't wait for the first dive in 8.5 years :) I spent a few hours in the swimming pool yesterday..it still feels great..for sure, something has been missing in my life all this time :)

Dive safe...
Have a nice weekend.

No fascination for the tungsten..it's rather a question of look really. In fact, I might even have found a Black Pearl edition.

Dive safe...
Have a nice weekend.

I agree totally, and the way something looks should be a consideration when making a purchasing decision. Like you no doubt are aware, it's not the most important aspect or the one to consider first (that is if you are buying something where safety and performance are issues), but after they are considered then, if you can afford it and are willing to pay the extra, you consider looks. Definitely nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Thanks for starting the thread, I've enjoyed it.

I've been known to spend a few extra dollars on aesthetics myself, on occasion. Nothing wrong with it if you can afford it, and sometimes you even get payback in the form of resale value. :)

John

Hi Justin :wink: Thanks for that :D

Besides, I have spent these past years skydiving (624 jumps Baby !), and other extrem (not to say suicidal) activities...and I have became a safety and redundancy freak...If I experienced bad judgments and criticism from the common people because of some "over the top" gear, I sure don't expect any on a dive boat...unless Mr KOMPRESSOR is around..haha..just joking mate :wink:

LoL - Smuck, maybe, but that's still just your opinion. Maybe they really are harder material less likely to damage or whatever a harder material is supposed to do. Who knows, I don't.

On a side note, seen the Apeks tech 3? Looks like a good design for tech, at least if you want a dedicated tech reg.

I don't think it's just my opinion. As I said, ask around! :D

OK? -How many of you experienced divers who knows a little about regs thinks "smuck" (or likewise) when they see a newbie/wannabe with a set of Apeks Tungsten? :eyebrow:

I already posted a pic of a set of TEK3 I got in my shop. They look cool too, but the idea is of a function, not the looks. -And they seem to have been made by modifying the DS4, and that's credit to the most sensible 1st stage I know!

40376d1190224465-what-regulators-use-doubles-dsc00347.jpg

40377d1190224476-what-regulators-use-doubles-dsc00349.jpg

They sure catch attention in the shop though. Especially on the double steel 50's on a wing/backplate! A real ladies friend, and in a few weeks we're off on our diving vacation, so I'll have to let it go to my wife-to-be, making up for the Hunter drysuit she doesn't know I got for myself...

But it doesn't seem like Bruce here is in the market for tech regs, or doubles. The Tungsten isn't MADE OF tungsten! It's just covered with some of the stuff at the most. And it's just for flash, not function. Bruce is going for the looks by choosing it, and most people around him knows this. Maybe people are more polite around where he lives, but here for sure they'd let him know.

I'll probably loose my Apeks dealership know, but what the heck! The thruth is the thruth! :popcorn:

So what, so he pays $105 (retail price differences) for the nicer looking tungsten reg instead of the one everyone else has.

Since you brought it up, the Tek3 is just two DS4, and you're going on about how great they looks but they aren't any more functional IRL than a pair of DS4 and neither is going to route as nicely for doubles as the FSTs or FSRs. How much more (retail) are the Tek3s going for over and above the DS4s?

Crap, I paid a lot more than that for the aluminum rims on my car, which don't really perform any differently than steel rims, and in fact are probably more than a tad softer if I'd happen to hit a curb at speed. But they look nice. :cool: Does that make me any more vain than the next guy?

Really, KOMPRESSOR, who died and put you in charge of what equipment people should be able to buy anyway?

John

So what, so he pays $105 (retail price differences) for the nicer looking tungsten reg instead of the one everyone else has.

Since you brought it up, the Tek3 is just two DS4, and you're going on about how great they looks but they aren't any more functional IRL than a pair of DS4 and neither is going to route as nicely for doubles as the FSTs or FSRs. How much more (retail) are the Tek3s going for over and above the DS4s?

Crap, I paid a lot more than that for the aluminum rims on my car, which don't really perform any differently than steel rims, and in fact are probably more than a tad softer if I'd happen to hit a curb at speed. But they look nice. :cool: Does that make me any more vain than the next guy?

Really, KOMPRESSOR, who died and put you in charge of what equipment people should be able to buy anyway?

John

Wether or not the TEK3 is of any better function than the DS4 is yet to be seen. Nobody has any diving time on them yet. I think I have the first pair in Norway, actually... -And it will only be regarding hose routing anyways, not performance. And I don't go out to buy the stuff for myself, I sell it. It sits in my very own dive shop (I own the dive shop...). Maybe I'm the only dive shop owner who recommends my customers the DS4 before the flashy stuff, but why not?

Nobody died and you don't have to hit on me for saying out loud what many people think either. :no

I also ordered aluminium rims on my new little diving van. They DO perform better than the original steel rims and THEY COST LESS :D

I don't think it's just my opinion. As I said, ask around! :D

OK? -How many of you experienced divers who knows a little about regs thinks "smuck" (or likewise) when they see a newbie/wannabe with a set of Apeks Tungsten? :eyebrow:

But it doesn't seem like Bruce here is in the market for tech regs, or doubles. The Tungsten isn't MADE OF tungsten! It's just covered with some of the stuff at the most. And it's just for flash, not function. Bruce is going for the looks by choosing it, and most people around him knows this. Maybe people are more polite around where he lives, but here for sure they'd let him know.

I see....no sens of humour nither hu ?...well, if the divers I'm going to meet now are the same kind of the mob spitting on my car...I'll just find something else to do then, thinking of the good old times when divers where better than this...sharing their stories and having interests in each other equipment and options, rather than giggling at each other like school girls..
Oh..so a guy with new gear HAS to be a newbie..well..big mistake my friend...some of them must still be laughting at your "I know more, I know better" show..

And if you CAN tell the difference when changing the rims of a mini-van...I'm surprised you CAN'T tell the diffrence between a bottom and a top of the line regulator...maybe you missed your vocation...

Arrg...whatever....wasting my time here...

Sorry guys...

well in the case of lighter rims..less unsprung weight..crisper turn in..same argument for ceramic brakes..although the latter are brittle/temperamental.

oops..wrong forum..apologies.:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom