Shore diving from West Bay?

Where to stay West Bay?

• West Bay Lodge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keifito's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ranpar01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I'm heading to West Bay (choosing between West Bay Lodge, Bananarama, or Keifito's) in December and would like to do some boat and also some shore diving. I emailed Bananarama about shore diving and all they said was that they discourage it because the reef is fragile. I guess they just want people to go out with their DM's so they don't damage the reef?

I do a lot of shore diving here in Tahoe and have done a ton in Hawaii as well. I like exploring on my own sometimes. I'm thinking that if I buy the $10 Marine Park pass I should be able to dive from shore right, with the reef only 40-50 yards out? Are there any places that will just rent tanks and gear on West Bay? I'd love to be able to just swim out and dive whenever I want without dealing with someone elses schedule. I'll end up doing mostly boat dives but having this option would be really nice. Any advice on that?

Also, between West Bay Lodge, Bananarama, and Keifito's any recommendations? It's a coin flip for me at this point because they all look pretty good. I know Keifito's is not exactly West Bay, but seems pretty close?

Thanks!

Randy

You could probably do Mandy's Eal Garden as a almost practical shore dive - Bout 50 yards from the beach.....

The reason they discourge it is most likely cause the water is pretty shallow and there is a large amount of boat traffic - especially the little water taxis that zip around - Don't think you would have to worry about a Dive Boat running you over but the taxi's are a nother thing all together.....

Also the Italians are over there and some crazy **** tends to happen.............

You could probably do some dives from a plastic Kyak and as long as you were carefull about your depth "shallow" you would probably be OK......

That's just my opion - I could be wrong

thanks, I figured there should be at least a couple good sites I could reach from shore. The issue seems to be finding a shop that will just rent the tanks and let me out on my own. The folks at bananarama are providing guided DM dives only. Which is great, and I'm going to do a bunch of guided boat dives with them. I just like to be on my own schedule sometimes and have a tank ready to go when I feel like diving. I'm sure once I get there I'll find a shop that rents gear and it won't be an issue. Or maybe after a few dives with Bananarama they will realize I have good bouyancy, I'm not a knucklehead, and I'm not going to damage the reef. I guess we'll see. Looking forward to diving someplace warm. Diving this weekend in Tahoe and may have snow already.

thanks again,

Randy

Bananrama is a greta little resort and the dive staff are very accommodating. Ask for Mal, fun guy. As for shore diving on you own, dont hold me to it, but I bet they might let you go on your own schedule with your dive partner of course as soon as they have done a few dives with you and are comfortable with your abilities. We did several shore dives there in May and we did the east tip of West Bay Wall and loved it. Great place for a shore night dive as well. Have a good trip.

HowieDean had it right. We dove Mandy's eel Garden from the shore. I had them mixed up, but it was still a beautiful dive. Nice coral heads in the shallows and a 100' drop at the wall with a gentle sandy slope at the bottom. We entered by the dock at the west end of West Bay and followed the red buoys out to your starting point. Enjoy.

That's great, thanks. I'm looking forward to the trip. I've booked my lodging with West Bay Lodge and I'll be doing the bulk of my diving with Cocunut Tree Divers out of West End. I had several good recommendations for them from people at the local shop here in Reno. I'll also probably do a few dives with you guys at bananrama since you are right in West Bay. I heard you have a great night dive so I'll want to do that for sure.

Thanks to all that replied about shore diving. Would I be pushing my luck if I asked for some recommendations on good places to eat on West Bay and West End?

thanks again,

Randy

Sushi tuesday right across the street from you in West Bay mall is good as is their deli. West End try the Vietname above West End Divers, Argetinian Grill, the Indian rest next door to the Arg. is excellent and the cheap and cheerful rotisserie chicken is filling.
Sundowners beach bar has decent burgers and chicken fingers to go with your sunset beers too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom