Computer vs tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Because of an ongoing thread on dive computers, here are my questions.

For those of you who strictly use tables...what's your bottom time when compared to someone using their computer instead?

For those using the computer while diving...do you find that you get more bottom time?

I learned on tables like most I guess and they are fine for a straight up and down dive, but when I got into wreck diving where we would go to the sand at say 110 then back to the deck at 65 or 70 it is much easier to use the computer to maximize the dive time, the straight profile of a table plan didn't work for me.

PS I never used the wheel.

Computers rock!!

Square profile on a dive table will definately give you shorter bottom time vs a computer. Diving on a dive table to a stepladder profile will get pretty close to computer bottom time. But who wants to make the stepladder calculations with a table on a task loaded dive, it's easier with a computer.

Howe,

When comparing computers vs. tables it is not an apple to apple comparison. Although the computer may use the same algorithm from the same table, computers calculate actual time at each depth to give you more accurate nitrogen loading. A table alone can't do that and that it is one of the major reasons most prefer dive computers. The RDP wheel improves on this, but a computer is so much easier to use.

Arizona

Let's say I'm diving 32% and did 100ft for 20 minutes, rise to 60ft for 20 minutes, and then made my ascent including minimum deco stops and surfaced. I would calculate my average depth of 80 during the dive which would give me 40minutes of MDL/NDL bottom time. My total run/dive time would be 44 - 48 minutes depending on how I felt on my 20 and 10 foot stops. That's pretty close to the same profile that many of the commercial computers will give you. It's not really rocket science, but does require some thinking.

Diving on a dive table to a stepladder profile will get pretty close to computer bottom time. But who wants to make the stepladder calculations with a table on a task loaded dive, it's easier with a computer.

It's actually pretty easy to do in your head. I do it all the time on my dives.

Back
Top Bottom