Can anyone recomend a couple of dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heychris

Reaction score
I am looking for a primary and backup dive light. I am on a budget but still want the best light for my money..

Hi Chris, there are a lot of options for lighting... Can you describe your needs? Night diving? Visibility? Rechargable? Budget?

-kate

I am planning on using it for recreational night dives and hunting at night(lobster season is rapidly approaching).

I am thinking less than $70 for a main light and less than $30 for a secondary light.

I was thinking I would mostly use the secondary light while night hunting because of it's small size..

.......and to further the question, how about those headlamp lights. Hands free etc. Anyone have experience with these?? Butch :peace:

I like the Princeton Tech lights for decent secondary and I use their diode marker light too. Price was good. (As long as I shopped at a camping store and stayed away from dive shops.

Primary light is a UK 8 D-cell monster. I like it because it has a positive lock and has two bulbs. Its a little pricey. I bought it for wreck penetration...soon.

Check out other gear suppliers like dive and climbng shops for an opportunity to save a few bucks. Marine shops carry clips and hooks as well.

Pelican Super Sabre is an excellent back-up light, at about $25.00 still in your budget. Very bright, uses 3 C cells and has "twist-on" activation. Plus it comes in an assortment of your favorite colors for the fashion conscious diver in your family.

ID

As a backup, my choice is the Underwater Kinetics Mini Q-40 It comes with a strap attachment that allows you to fix the light on your mask strap. It serves a couple of different purposes. Since you know exactly where it is when you need it, there's no delay and no fumbling. Also it's hands-free so you can make a comfortable safety stop by maintaining contact with a descent/anchor line, hold onto your computer for info and not have to hold onto the light. It works great!

I recently purchased a UK Sunlight C-8 (non-recharchable) for under $50 from Leisure Pro. It's plenty bright, comes with 2 13 watt bulbs built in (so you switch it underwater if one goes out), and has plenty of battery time. As far as UK lights go, the same light comes in a D-8 version which gives you more battery life, but is more expensive, larger, and is not any brighter than the C-8. Also, you may want to check out a recent review of dive lights done by Rodales. Hope this helps.

Dittos for the Pelican SuperSabre Light... Love it.

I use a UK C-8 as well for my primary -- relatively inexpensive and durable light suitable for rec night diving and deeper wreck diving. For wreck penetration/tech diving -- you would want something brighter (canister would be preferable).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom