poll: drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What you want to ask for is the viking "dog collar," It's commercial/military gear so there's a pretty good chance that your local Techspert may not be familiar with it. If that's the case PM me and I'll rustle up the Viking part numbers.

(My wrist seals are detachable and easy to replace. I bring an extra pair with me in my save-a-dive kit.)

please detail the detachable wrist seals. I am curious.

Viking cuffs, for example, can be assembled with the seal in the middle and can be just press fit together.

I dive in Alaska (water temps 2-7C) and currently use two different O'Three suits: the MSF500tb with Fourth Element Arctic Xerotherm undies (my winter outfit) and an Ri200 with an Oceanic storm one piece undy (my summer outfit). Both the suits are rear-entry neoprene, with neoprene wrist and neck seals, and attached boots. I love the suits - they keep me warm and dry (most important!). However, given my druthers, I'd choose latex wrist seals - easier/cheaper to self-replace, and attaching dry gloves doesn't totally ruin the seal if you take the dry gloves off; and I'd go with neoprene sock feet plus rock boots, again primarily because it's easier to just buy a new pair of rock boots than it is to replace/repair the attached boots.

Before the O'Threes, I used an Oceanic Aerdura Titanium - membrane suit with a cordura-like outer layer and several butyl rubber laminate layers in between. Latex wrist and neck seals. Great suit, lighter weight than the neoprene, just didn't fit me quite right so I sold it. I used the same undies with this suit as I'm using now, and rarely felt cold though I was never as toasty warm as I am with the neoprene suits.

If you think you might want dry gloves, I'd definitely get a suit with latex seals. Even if you remove the dry glove system and your latex seals are trashed, they're not hard to replace.

My two cents... :D

Bare XCD2 hypercomressed neoprene, bought to replace an old Viking (also a very solid suit). Went with the compressed for reduced bouyency changes at depth and for durabitliy. Got the attached boots because rock boots don't come in my size. Front entry, I can actually get in and out of it myself. I like it over-all, but I wouldn't trust their sizing charts. Sized for someone up to 4" taller than I am (supposedly) but I had to have the sleeves extended 3".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom