Doubles trim issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You used to dive single 104s with an SS bp and needed no weights with your drysuit. You switched to an AL plate (roughly 4-5 lbs gone) and doubled up your 104s?

If this is the case, by my estimation, you are going to be overweighted. You only knocked off 4-5#s but added another first stage, bands, a manifold, and another 104. If that's all you are diving, there ain't many places to lighten up...interesting dilemma...

... is that you will never be able to successfully dive doubles... give up and go back to singles.

Just kidding! You will get it... it is a postural thing and you don't need to add a bunch of fixes.

BTW... I seriously doubt that you are overweighted... especially if you are diving an Al backplate.

See thats the problem. Cant really lighten up, tanks shifted, hate the thought of adding weights, down to my lightest undies (well, not the lacy ones yet). I'm only diving doubles for the next two months though, so hopefully get it figured out in that time frame. This weekend i think i'll take the camera out and get my buddy to film me to check posture issues and maybe post something for some suggestions.

The one thing i do like about doubles though is that when you put the single 104s back on it feels like you could run a marathon with them. I cant imagine what an al80 would feel like.

steve

wetman once bubbled...
See thats the problem. Cant really lighten up, tanks shifted, hate the thought of adding weights, down to my lightest undies (well, not the lacy ones yet). I'm only diving doubles for the next two months though, so hopefully get it figured out in that time frame. This weekend i think i'll take the camera out and get my buddy to film me to check posture issues and maybe post something for some suggestions.

The one thing i do like about doubles though is that when you put the single 104s back on it feels like you could run a marathon with them. I cant imagine what an al80 would feel like.

steve
It's the same thing once you start carrying stages/deco bottles. Once you take them off you feel like an eel in just a set of doubles..

Could it be that you are not head heavy, but feet light?

I use gators with my Trilam. If I don't, air goes to my feet and makes trim much more difficult.

I found out the hard way that gators need to be tight in order for them to work. For that reason, I swapped my large Halcyons for a pair of mediums (I'm 6'3", 260 lbs and the gators are the only thing I own that is a size medium). They are somewhat tight, but they work well.

I am pretty sure that NEWrecks is right. Try getting vertical in the water to get ALL the air out of your legs. Then get horizontal again, but cheat a little bit. Drop your knees just slightly so that no air can go past your waist to you feet.

This should tell you if the problem has to do with air in the feet. Chances are it is, especially if you are diving 104's!

Let us know how it works out...

You and others may throw this idea out rather quickly.... I can understand. I talked to a guy last week at a dive site that flipped his tanks upside down for the same reason you are stating..... more weight at the manifold area of the tanks.
This may need to be in another thread, but what are the negatives in doing this. I know he liked it. For one he could reach his valves much easier and better trim for his situation.

Steve,

I'm short legged, stumpy and barrel-ish chested too. I used to have perfect trim with my A P Valves Buddy TekWing (i.e. abs backpack), but with my new SS Plate and wing, and therefore 6lbs higher up, I do feel a bit top heavy when I have the tanks in a position where I can reach the valves with ease and find it difficult to relax when horizontal. This is with my new scubapro jetfins as well.

I'd only done 3 dives with this config before the weekend just gone, but over said weekend, I discovered I was a bit to positive when I took the cylinders below 50 bar. The extra 3lbs I have used to compensate for this seems to have helped.

I'm not discounting the fact that I am just getting used to new gear after 200 or so dives with the tekwing.

One thing I can say is forget about the v-weight thing, you need weight lower down than that i.e. weight belt.

I too am determined no to go the route of the ankle weights, luckily I still have the option of an AL back plate.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Something you may want to try is holding your hands out in front of you. This should help trap a little air in the upper portion of your dry suit and keep the air out of your feet.

It worked for me, just my .02 Cents.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom