Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lock Down

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My fiance and I are getting married next september. I am going to plan a Diving Honeymoon ( Of Course). My questioon is where should we go. Money is kind of an issue, I would like to keep the budget at about $5000. plus spending money for trinkets. Where would you recomend we go? And where would you recomend we DON'T go. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I did Playa Del Carmen Mexico. We stayed @ the Sandos AI resort. From 1-7-06 till 1-21-06. We did whatever we wanted to do without crowding and busying up our days.

I spent $4700 to get us there and and the AI resort, airfare, transfers, the basics... then we spent another $2000 while we were there.

Like I said we did whatever and spent whatever. Massages on the beach, steak and lobster sunset cruise, diving, lots of shopping and tipping.

We had a blast. No doubt we will be returning to PDC.

Bonaire. Get a truck and dive yourselves silly...

I think I'll agree with ElO.

In Bonaire you get all you can dive, and the *only* schedule you have to keep is making the return flight. Dive when you feel like it, and if you happen to be... busy... you can just dive later.

Sure, some other places have more topside stuff to do, but it's a diver's paradise with no time pressures at all, and between diving and being just married, boredom shouldn't be a big problem, eh?

Jamaica is fairly cheap and there are lots of all-inclusives along the north coast from Negril to Montego Bay to Ochos Rios. There's also lots of non-all inclusives. Airfare from Chicago was about $300 round trip. For two of us it was about $3000 for air, hotel, diving, and food for a week.

The diving isn't "spectacular", but it is fun. There's some wrecks, places to go deep if you want, 82d water, lots of stingrays, and a bunch of other stuff. I've been told that the diving on the south side of the island (around Kingston) is better, but it is advisable to have a Malaria vaccination to go to Kingston (I don't have one).

--Shannon

My wife and I stayed with Sandals in the Bahamas. All-inclusive, great meals, lots of alcohol, and a beautiful resort. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure we spent around what you have to spend. However, one attraction was the two, single tank dives per day. Yeah, we tried scheduling some dives an hour and a half after we arrived and they were already booked. We could only get in the day before we were flying out (which obviously wasn't a good idea). You can't reserve time ahead of your arrival either. Instead we spent a little more money and dove with Stuart's Cove. Great experience.

Oh, we also went in September and the weather was great!

Jason

I second the Bonaire suggestion. It's all about diving there but there are also nice restaurants massages etc.

Bonaire. Get a truck and dive yourselves silly...
now that is a great plan; I second that idea. You can rent a rather spacious villa for the week, rent a truck, arrange for unlimited dives (gas fills) and dine like,,, well like it's your honeymoon, all for lots less than 5 G's.
Go to Bonaire Talk - The place to discuss everything and anything about Bonaire! for trip reports, accommodation and dining info.
FYI, I arranged a trip for my son and I to go Jan 4-12, 2008. I rented a truck, with full insurance for 8 days, a 1700 sq ft villa on the beach 30 yards from the ocean, arranged for unlimited gas fills and the use of weights, taxes, etc for $2100.00 through Bonaire Partners, offering over 45 fine vacation accommodations on Bonaire.. I still have airfare and meals but it is going to cost significantly less than $5000 for 8 days.

Good places to go in no particular order. They're all awesome. Great diving and plenty to do:

-Cozumel
-Bonaire
-Belize
-Roatan

Avoid:

-Jamaica

Sorry, but the diving there is just lousy. Plus the dive ops act like they're doing you a favor by taking you. Then there are the CONSTANT tshirt and hair bead hawkers.

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom