Manta Rays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is Manta bowl in the Philippines, and it is also rumored that they can be seen on Stradbroke Island, in Queensland, Aus - but personally, having been to all these places and not seen a Manta ray, I think there are a select few individuals and dive shops that are participating in a global scam.

DON'T BE FOOLED! Mantas do NOT exist! they are men in suits - like the Yeti, Sasquatch and the Loch Ness Monster! Don't waste your money and dreams chasing a myth!

DeputyDan:
As beautiful and graceful site you will ever see is a manta gliding over a coral reef as you watch from a lower angle.

Definitely the highlight of my short diving experience. I was lucky to see them on 3 of the 8 dives I did in August in Puerto vallarta.

BurBunny:
Unfortunately when I was in LaPaz in November, they reported they hadn't had a manta sighting in about 3 years nearby.

Bora Bora is pretty reliable for mantas, as is Rangiroa.

Bummer about La Paz. The year after we went a bunch of our group went there and struck out with mantas. Something about a hurricane. I had heard they were back.
Did Bora Bora and Rangiroa last Feb. More mantas in Bora Bora.

I live here in puerto vallarta and I see plenty of mantas. Right now they are mating and is a really good time to spot them. As we go to the dive spots we can see up to 5 mantas on the way, and while we are diving sometimes we see them and sometimes we dont. On the surface to and from the divespots the bay is full of them right now.
You can spot them all year round here, you just never know when or where, then all of a sudden their just there.

June 4, 2006 Manta Ray night dive off Kona, at Garden Eel Cove. I was diving from the Kona Aggressor and 16, YES, 16 Manta Rays showed up for the night dive. Mind you, this was my first night dive ever and only my 11th dive since I had been OW certified. Unbelieveable, really spectacular. I've bought the trip DVD to prove it, and have watched it several times.

April 8, 2007 Again diving from the Kona Aggressor, at Garden Eel Cove. Fourth dive of the day, at 4:30 pm. Divemaster, one other diver and myself are in the water for only 5 mins, just down at the mooring line at about 45 feet, when 10 - 11 Manta Rays do a fly by. Unbelieveable! And not one of us had brought our cameras!! The Manta Ray night dive at 7:30 pm the same evening wasn't a skunk, but only one MR..Lefty.. showed up.

April 13, 2007 Last dive of the week on the Kona Aggressor trip. Another Manta Ray did a fly by above us while we were at Turtle Pinnacle!! I got three pictures, but they are from a distance

Do Kona!

mjarens

Hi,I just got back from a manta dive in Tofo Mozambique.There are Giant mantas all year round with wingspans 6-8 metres. email me rodger@makhulu.com for more info.Cheers for now ...Rodger Dunn

Unfortunately when I was in LaPaz in November, they reported they hadn't had a manta sighting in about 3 years nearby.

Bora Bora is pretty reliable for mantas, as is Rangiroa.

Just an update, the group I was with was lucky enough to see a Manta at (I believe) El Bajo right before we swam off looking for hammerheads (we didn't see them) when we dove their last summer ('06). The second dive on the site, a huge whaleshark (about as long as the boat) hung out with folks on their safety stop.

Hopefully we weren't the only ones to spot one, but I have heard they are quite rare around La Paz these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom