A question of etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Guess who drove 2 hours for a dive recently only to have their buddy's air-integrated computer battery die after 5 mins in the water).
Regardless of how you feel about wireless SPGs, this is an issue of poor planning more then a fault of a wireless SPG, could just as easily been the computer batts, light batts, broken SPG, mask, fin strap, zipper, leaky reg, etc. If I remember correctly the Suunto transmitter used the same batts as the computer, pretty slick IMO.

Regardless of how you feel about wireless SPGs, this is an issue of poor planning more then a fault of a wireless SPG, could just as easily been the computer batts,

Yes and no. If my computer had failed I could happily have completed the dive anyway - I had a backup depth/time gauge and my SPG is analog. Ok, theoretically we should abort but it was only a max. 12m dive so making it with just one depth/time device would not be a major problem.

OTOH, with my buddy's system his computer was his SPG, depth gauge and timer. The battery failure killed the dive.

But, yes, it was mainly bad planning. I change my computer batteries every 25 dives even though they will quite happily do twice that. They just get moved over to an MP3 player or something so I never come close to dead batteries. If only buddies would do the same...

I did'nt read the whole thread, so this may have been covered already.

Follow this link, MANTAINDUSTRIES.COMgo to products, and look at the small SPG. I ordered one last week. I think it fits the minimalist idea. For me, I would rather have a backup so I don't necessarily have to end the dive just because of computer problems. The expense is worth the fact that I may never need it. So what. I'm a serious diver. I payed bux to do this dive, I payed extra bux to make sure I have MAX BT.

Mr. B
.02psi

I did'nt read the whole thread, so this may have been covered already.

Follow this link, MANTAINDUSTRIES.COMgo to products, and look at the small SPG. I ordered one last week. I think it fits the minimalist idea. For me, I would rather have a backup so I don't necessarily have to end the dive just because of computer problems. The expense is worth the fact that I may never need it. So what. I'm a serious diver. I payed bux to do this dive, I payed extra bux to make sure I have MAX BT.

Mr. B
.02psi

Computer problems are computer problems and should warrant ending the dive anyways. Having a spare SPG isn't going to solve not knowing what your bottom time and/or depth is.

Computer problems are computer problems and should warrant ending the dive anyways. Having a spare SPG isn't going to solve not knowing what your bottom time and/or depth is.

Thats why I use a dive watch.....also, the redunant mini consol has a depth guage. Check it out. Its pretty cool. Redundancy is key....the hoseless computer is pure conveniance for me, not primary.

Using twins, will run SPG "brass and glass" off the left post, with an AI comp off the right.

Pros:
1. Redundancy of measurement.
2. With computer on left wrist - hands extended in front - I can readily monitor comp information, inclusive tank pressure, without adjusting trim. Further, I can readily cross check depth/time on computer with BT on right wrist.

Cons:
1. Increased failure points

I can live with the trade-off

Using twins, will run SPG "brass and glass" off the left post, with an AI comp off the right.

Pros:
1. Redundancy of measurement.
2. With computer on left wrist - hands extended in front - I can readily monitor comp information, inclusive tank pressure, without adjusting trim. Further, I can readily cross check depth/time on computer with BT on right wrist.

Cons:
1. Increased failure points

I can live with the trade-off

Fair enough. It's not Hogarthian, but if you're just diving recreational limits then there's not really any problem with having an AI computer. If you're diving technical then hopefully you can see the problems for yourself.

With computer on left wrist - hands extended in front - I can readily monitor comp information, inclusive tank pressure, without adjusting trim. Further, I can readily cross check depth/time on computer with BT on right wrist.

I run the same config post/post, but here's a suggestion that was given to me, and seems to make sense to the point that I've adopted it:

Put the wrist computer on the right hand and the BT on the left. This way you've got everything "aligned" in terms of posts/wrists. If anything went south, it's just a bit easier to remember what's reading pressure where.

BarryNL - configuration is for open water Tech, and believe trade-off in this context is acceptable. With penetration, either wreck or cave, I'd reconsider.

RJP - great idea, will adopt - appreciate the recommendation.

oi..... what if just......................... just what if some wierdo suddenly get there hands on a magnetic pulse device then your expensive "D" series down the drain and the rest of the mech. spg's will now be truly be worth gold......./gg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom