Mt. Everest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spiegel Grove sits at around 130 and the Doria sits at 260. No comparison.

So what you're saying is that 2 dives on the SG equals 1 on the AD? :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I've just started to try out my tech wings (with BP, of course:wink:). Having grown up in Michigan, I've always wanted to get back there to do some dives on some of the wrecks.

Always gotta have new dreams!

Actually, it would be 2 dives on the SG, and 4 posts on Scuba Board...then you are all the diver you really need to be!

Good luck in Michigan...you only need one dive and 2 posts to be a "Doria Diver" there!

Actually, it would be 2 dives on the SG, and 4 posts on Scuba Board...then you are all the diver you really need to be!

Good luck in Michigan...you only need one dive and 2 posts to be a "Doria Diver" there!

LOL! Very true. I'm revisiting this thread. It seems most of the posters have gleaned their cumulative information from the popular press. Being there vs. reading about it are two very different things. I would say that diving the Doria is not all that hard. On a good day you can touch the hull with a single tank and come right back up. Worth it, maybe. If you are collecting stories and memories + come loaded with a fat wallet - go for it. I imagine the scenario exists for "Everest" climbers too. Additionally, there are many, many Doria liars out there. It’s funny because I have seen a few in the flesh. When you ask some probing questions they fumfer around and disappear during cocktail hour.

Some clarification. The Doria may sit at 260’. I haven’t checked lately. However, only doofuses would touch the sand at that depth. The inside of the hull might be 250’. That’s not a great place to be. I have a story related to this and Billy Dean’s deceased dive partner. The current can rip like nuts. Enough to flagpole you. It is a tricky wreck in some ways, but being deep in any current affected area with huge deco. obligations is never "safe". Penetrating a rusty hull makes life harder still.

You have to admire the original Doria veterans for having the brass ____lls for tackling this thing on OC air.

X

I have had great fun calling out my share of internet Doria divers here on the Delmarva penninsula. They show up to the dock swaggering and overloaded with shiny new gear for a 70fsw dive. Let me state emphatically I am not a tech diver, but when you inquire about thier gas choices, switches, deco obligation, and thier average po2, they will allways hustle off to somewhere else on the boat.
Anyone who has done that dive in my opinion, would be able to spout that info from memory at the drop of a hat, after happy hour.
Eric

I have been reading about the Doria and related wreck diving stories. I still consider myself a new technical diver even after diving many wrecks off the NC coast, Spiegle Grove, The Oriskany and diving the wrecks in Bikini Atoll. All of these dives do not really compare with diving the Doria...colder, deeper, ripping current etc. I am in no condition to attempt it. Like many NC wrecks, the Doria has been picked over and is falling apart...many NC wrecks are debry fields...and not worth penetrating if at all.

There are all too many big egos out there boasting unlikely diving resumes...I have seen too many technical divers fumble with recreational skills. I feel too many divers jump through the certification hoops just to say they have years of experience.

Just my 02

The DORIA is not a difficult dive for an experienced technical wreck diver. Since the advent of mixed gas in the mid-90s, it has not been the Mt. Everest of wreckdiving. Perhaps the Mt. Everest of Hype, but that's about it these days. There are much more difficult wrecks to explore, either due to depth, distance, or other logisitics, or good old bureacratic red tape.

However, for those that want to learn more about the DORIA, check out the ANDREA DORIA VIRTUAL MUSEUM.
Of special note, check out the Treasures of the Andrea Doria exhibit.

The DORIA is not a difficult dive for an experienced technical wreck diver. Since the advent of mixed gas in the mid-90s, it has not been the Mt. Everest of wreckdiving. Perhaps the Mt. Everest of Hype, but that's about it these days. There are much more difficult wrecks to explore, either due to depth, distance, or other logisitics, or good old bureacratic red tape.

However, for those that want to learn more about the DORIA, check out the ANDREA DORIA VIRTUAL MUSEUM.
Of special note, check out the Treasures of the Andrea Doria exhibit.

Terrific site. Very interesting to see all the artifacts from the Doria as well as photos of the first pioneers. John Moyer looks terrific!

X

Anyone who would think that 250 feet is not difficult is a bit unrealistic. No matter what you breathe it is always to be taken with caution. At 30 years old though I may not be near the experience level many here think they are...but the Doria is my Mecca. Seconded only by the 869.

I take the quarry seriosly, for in the long run it is never depth etc that kills you, its always something foolish (whether planned or done unknowingly).

I am a NJ diver through and through. The SG was a nice tourist break up for the silly reefs, NC will always be worth the drive for me, but NJ keeps me interested. Men like John and Richie will be my idols, it is just me and what I think.

Every region has its risks and rewards. Bikini was mentioned...truly awesome! I can't wait to spend $80000 to see it right. Til then, $2500 seems like a fair amount to see the glamour of the Doria...where is my trimix cert?

Keep Florida.....well Florida!

Anyone who would think that 250 feet is not difficult is a bit unrealistic.

It really isn't -- for those that are experienced technical divers. I highlighted that for a reason. If you are diving a wreck in 250 feet and think its difficult simply because of the depth, you don't belong there. Conditions can make a dive more challenging, but if you can't or don't know how to handle current, cold water, low visibility, navigating a large wreck, dealing with variable decompression scenarios, etc., then you shouldn't be doing the dive. Period. Even with all the potential variables that can be encountered on a DORIA dive, an experienced diver should be able to cope very easily and still have a very enjoyable dive.

I am a NJ diver through and through. The SG was a nice tourist break up for the silly reefs, NC will always be worth the drive for me, but NJ keeps me interested. Men like John and Richie will be my idols, it is just me and what I think.

Keep Florida.....well Florida![/QUOTE]

Be careful there Mr NJ Wreck Diver..... Florida wrecks can be to much sometimes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom