Initial Impressions of the Canon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info MantaRey. I just have a couple of questions-

Are you able to switch between camera and video mode with the underwater housing?

I currently have a ys-27dx strobe with a fiber optic cable, do you think there would be anyway to rig the cable so that it is able to fire the strobe?

Thanks

Thanks to all for the reviews of the G9 especially you MantaRey.... I've been waiting for a UW review and your picture of the Flamingo Tongue is amazing. The richness and warmth of color is very nice.

I'm one of those thinking about going the Ike route so that I can utilize TTL but your results in the WP-DC21 are very nice and I may be reconsidering.

So besides the obvious lack of TTL on the WP-DC21, the only other problem would be the ability to use/attach wet lenses to the WP-DC21, correct? Otherwise, price and size definitely wins out.

FYI, I noticed this morning that the G9 Ike housing is now avail.... 6147.09

Hi

I just looked at the pictures of the ikelite housing:great! You can use the wheel next to the 4 way push buttons; which is great. it will allow the continuous selection of the aperture; while iso can be changed with the other rotary knob on the top. I just wonder how easy this is with gloves, but I think this is as close as one can get to the slr like control; while not paying triple the price, and lugging a third of the weight and volume. I am thinking to buy this combination... We'll see what price my dealer comes up with here in Holland. 499 euros for the housing is not cheap!

Karel

Well its time to upgrade my set up after dropping my S70 in a rinse tank!!

I have my eye on the G9 and have some specific questions regarding the Ikelite housing.
I own the Inon D2000 strobe & the following Inon Wet lens UWL100-28AD ,UCL-165AD and would like to be able to use the strobe & lens with the G9.

Would greatly appreciate if any G7 user or others could provide some info on the following

• Getting the Ikelite flat port to enable the attachment of wet lenses restricts the amount of zoom. How much by??? Generally I have always avoided the zoom so I do not think this is an issue.
  • Are there major vinegrating issues if I attach the UWL or a future UFL. I have read on other forums that zooming in is recommended when using the UWL, which kind of defeats the benefit of the lens.
  • Unfortuantely my Inon wet lenses are non 67 mm type . Will I be able to get a mount to attach these to the Ikelite housing. I have read that only 67mm threaded wet lens can be attached to the Ikelite housing.
  • My Inon D2000 strobe is optically fired on my current set up. For the Ikelite housing it appears it may be more difficult to attach this optical arrangement??
I would really like to get the G9 as I have seen the results from the G7 and they were fantastic. Just a shame the canon housing does not allow addition of the wet lens.

I'm planning on ordering the Ikelite housing here soon, and I'm trying to decide on strobe arms.

Do any G7 users with the Ikelite housing have suggestions on whether to get positive buoyancy arms or not?

Right now I am leaning towards a single DS-125 with a mount for a can light.

sounds like a 570 on Pred Forte......Will think about this one next year(when it hits the $300 range).........thanks for the info..........

Gibson, I believe the 27dx strobe will work just fine. In fact that was one I was looking at in case this one my friend wants to sell me doesn't work out.

A strobe is definitely necessary. The built in flash only works for a certain distance. If you get too close it'll only light up the top left portion of the photo. Like the picture of the anemone below.

anemoneclose.jpg

But when you do find that sweet spot it does work quite well, because the flash doesn't shoot straight forward. It's deflected more to the top left off the frame to prevent a hot spot. Even then you're gonna get some backscatter like below, it's unavoidable. Note: What you don't see is my hand resting in the hydra to take this picture. Taking pictures really is an illness. haha

goldspottedmoray.jpg

Also I find this camera kinda hard to get a good focus. Anyone else have this issue? I know it's most likely I just need more practice with it.

trunkfish.jpg

By the way Driftin, the canon housing can't take anykind of conversion lens. Although I notice the front part of the port is held on by screws. So I believe someone adventurous could modify it to take something.

Just a few more observations about the g9 now that I have had a few weeks to play with it. I do not own a video camera and the g9 does have a video feature. The default mode is 640 x 480 at 30fps and there are options to lower the image quality and resolution to get more recording time. I shot a clip of my granddaughter practicing a part for her school play and was very pleased with the quality. I had shot some clips with the old Exilim that had much poorer color and sharpness, and too many artifacts. There is also a setting for 1024 for a higher resolution I have not played with yet but should yield favorable results. This is NOT a dedicated videocam. However, I am interested in the report of anyone who takes the camera underwater and tries the video mode. I think they will be pleasantly surprised by the results. There is also a time lapse function I have not played with. Note: The “underwater” white balance is available in both still and video modes. I would be interested in hearing how the “underwater” white balance works on actual underwater shots. (Shoot RAW just in case).

I also figured out why they included the 3 stop neutral density filter. The f-stop range of the camera is from 2.8 to 8 so if you want to slow down the shutter speed turn on the ND filter and now you will have a shutter speed equivalent of f-11 to f-22. However this is not a professional camera with professional glass so you do not actually get the depth of field of shooting at f-11 to f22. Still a neat feature but not one you would use underwater unless you are shooing into a sunball.

Last weekend I was with the kids and grandkids at the Mouse House in Orlando. I took quite a few pics with the g9 but filed them with shots from my wife’s X Ti and converted them to DNGs. When I did a preview slideshow of the DNGs, it was not possible to tell the shots apart except for the file size. The shots I have worked show great resolution and ability to crop and blow up (at least the ones I shot at 80 and 100 ISO). I am still having fun with this camera.

—Bob

Scooba Phan,

You can use a wide angle adapater on the ikelite Canon G9 housing, by adding the shorter port option. This limits the zoom range, although this isn't a big deal underwater since when using the Ikelite W20 lens you will leave the Canon G9 lens set at its widest point anyway.

When shooting macro with this shorter port alone you shouldn't zoom all the way out. Mid-way through the Canon G9 zoom range, and hitting the macro (flower) icon puts you in a nice range, about 10" or so from a subject filling the frame anyway. Easier to aim your strobes, too......

You CAN use another brand strobe as Ikelite makes cords for these, but the housing's TTL circuitry only works with Ikelite DS series Substrobes. So you'd be back to manual setting everything on this high tech camera :( Ugh.......

Hope this helps......

dhaas
I am not sure I understand as I see people mentioning the G9 (or G7) don't work that well with INON strobes. However shouldn't the Z-240 work fine in optical TTL e.g. also when used with the Canon housing?

Any feedback is welcome as I am considering to buy the G9 (and already own a Z-240)

I am not sure I understand as I see people mentioning the G9 (or G7) don't work that well with INON strobes. However shouldn't the Z-240 work fine in optical TTL e.g. also when used with the Canon housing?

Any feedback is welcome as I am considering to buy the G9 (and already own a Z-240)

I am using my G7 and canon uw case with a Z-240 and optical cord. I love the set up. It is my first so I have nothing to compare it to. I really like the z-240 for international travel for it's small size and AA batteries.
nudibranch on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

eel on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_2995 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom